new arrangement control = bad idea

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
beachnote

new arrangement control = bad idea

Post by beachnote » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 am

i dont know if this is a new 'feature' in v5, or a bug, but whatever it is, its a bad idea.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24648

cbit

Post by cbit » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:30 am

It is not very clear to me how it works, definitely I get double start when I hit the play - it starts then a second or less starts again, to be honest préfered too the 4 way which was DAW standard.
this bothers me too.. a kind of iritating double start. bug?

I have yet to rtfm on how the new arrange transport works before i know whether i like it or not, which i'll do.. but i didn't expect to have to :)
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:04 pm

i swear that half the time i dont know where the hell playback is going to start when i hit the spacebar, and im sure im not alone on this

I don't use the spacebar anymore. I just use the mouse. It is a hell of a lot better IMO. When U see the speaker icon, L.Click and oila, it plays at that exact position. Note that it plays according to the global quantization as well.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:23 pm

It might be nice if we could have a preference setting, that determines whether we want play to engage immediately on clicking, or to just set start position to trigger with the space bar.

Sometimes I just want to set a place to start without having to create a marker. For instance, if I want to drop a guitar part at a certain point in the arrangement, I'd like to be able to set the point by placing the cursor, then hitting the space bar when i'm ready to record.

I'd like an option to do it both ways.

ozone7

Post by ozone7 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:40 pm

I don't mind the speaker icon as a function.

But I absolutely hate starting from selected clip.

I wish this could be either disabled or available as a modifier.

To me, Live 4 was almost perfect in the Arrange window. Just adding markers would have done it as far as I was concerned, butt I understand that a lot of people like the speaker icon.