a producers nightmare - live v5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beachnote

a producers nightmare - live v5

Post by beachnote » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:49 am

i gave it a shot, 2 weeks worth of a shot. but the new way of getting around the arrangement mode in v5 is just unbearable. i swear that half the time i dont know where the hell playback is going to start when i hit the spacebar, and im sure im not alone on this.

can we please look into this, i have seen several post on this already, and no one doing anything about it. at the very least have an option to use the v4 method, at least that one made sense, and its the standard amongst similar apps.

although i dont know the full extent of crap on how this new method works, but i do know that it makes no sense to move someones playstart marker the way it does. and for reasons unknown it loops clips when it wants to and just makes no freakin sense whatsoever. and this is coming from an engineer who deals with complex systems everyday.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:56 am

It is not very clear to me how it works, definitely I get double start when I hit the play - it starts then a second or less starts again, to be honest préfered too the 4 way which was DAW standard.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 am

beachnote,

your request for the change of a feature may be better heard by the Abletons if you post it in the feature wishlist section of the forum.

or if you feel that the functionality you want exists but simply has a bug in it, try the bugs & problems section of the forum.

the Abletons monitor those sections of the forum far more than they monitor the General section which gets alot of on and off topic traffic daily.

so i recommend you post your concerns in a more appropriate section of the forum in order to expedite the functionality you desire.

cheers.

beachnote

Post by beachnote » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:06 am

the worse thing is the way it moves your playstart when you select a clip.

so if you are working on your song at measure 75, and you want to go track by track editing clips from that part of the song, you cant do it. as soon as you select a clip from a track thats been looping since measure 12, lets say, the playstart moves back to measure 12, so next time you hit the spacebar to playback your changes it starts from measure 12, or wherever the looped clip starts, not from where you are working in the song. just a 'bad' idea. it does not help production in anyway. it hinders production. bad ableton.

and this is just one of the problems. its leaking with bad ideas all over the place. cubase 3 doesnt do this, logic audio doesnt do this, no other app does this, and for good reason too, because it does not help.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 am

i really have had no problems with this so far, and really love the way the new transport works

if you set your custom playback markers on the grid, you can now jump to the different sections of your song by clicking on the "flag" of your marker. this is awesome ...

some of the problems people are talking about can be remedied by this, as it only takes an instant to set a marker. now you have more control over where you're auditioning from .. much more control

also ... placing the start where you click on the grid has also worked out well for me, in combination with the custom playback markers its a lot more logical than alway setting the one playback marker with a CTRL click on top of the grid

however:

always starting playback at the beginning of the clip you click on ... this can be somewhat or a huge pain, depending on what you're trying to do ... this i agree on.

i think what they wanted to give us is some kind of "audition clip" command ... thats what this does. instead we got this other method that can interfere with the playback position

i think it should be replaced with an "audition clip" command that doesnt reset the playback postion of the transport. simpler, solves the problem, and keeps the reason behind the function.......
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

beachnote

Post by beachnote » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:23 am

i do love the new custom marker system. thats just standard stuff.

its the other things that bug me, like changing your playback position by selecting a clip. sorry if i wasnt clear on that.

pentajigga

Post by pentajigga » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:41 am

i made the (`~) key onmy keyboard the STOP button, so as to not start from whatever clip i last click it goes back to the beginning when i hit the key... this helps alot... although may not completely help your problems (which i dont think i fully understood)//
shuttle xpc amd athlon 64 3500+ / 1gig RAM / oxygen 8 / rme hdsp9652

Spectre /Aural Motives

Post by Spectre /Aural Motives » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:29 am

use locators and bind keys for it! pretty simple!
for example create two markers for template song and bind NUM1 and NUM3 for them as it made in reason 3.0 and dont forget to set quantanization to "none" for quick jumps
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / 1GB DDR400 / M-Audio Audiophile 192 / Seagate SATA 120 Gb

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:04 am

I don't remember hearing about all this during the beta. How many people are against the new way of working in Arrabge?
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

ozone7

Post by ozone7 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:36 pm

I cannot stand the way that the playback start moves when you select a clip.

Personally I cut a lot of loops within Arrange and every time I select a new active section of a clip to change which part of the original loop is exposed, the playback starts from there next time - i.e. no longer from beat 1.

I know that you can add a marker and assign a key but really........it was absolutely fine as it was.

Can anyone defend this feature?

As a generalisation I think Live 4 was absolutely fantastic in the way you could throw around the start arrow and it would always start from there. Just adding markers to this would (in my opinion as a professional Post engineer Yadda Yadda..) have been perfect.

subSonik

Post by subSonik » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:11 am

Love it...

I really dig being able to drop like 10 playeads throughout a track and assign them to QWERTYUIOP. Can instantly go to wherever i want in a mix. Good Work Abes!!!!!

suB.......

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:00 pm

supster wrote:placing the start where you click on the grid has also worked out well for me, in combination with the custom playback markers its a lot more logical than alway setting the one playback marker with a CTRL click on top of the grid

however:

always starting playback at the beginning of the clip you click on ... this can be somewhat or a huge pain, depending on what you're trying to do ... this i agree on.

i think what they wanted to give us is some kind of "audition clip" command ... thats what this does. instead we got this other method that can interfere with the playback position

i think it should be replaced with an "audition clip" command that doesnt reset the playback postion of the transport. simpler, solves the problem, and keeps the reason behind the function......
This thread has been good in illustrating some of the uses of the new arrange features, which I haven't really exercised too much but are now more keen about.

I think what beachnote/thread originator is looking at it like kind of a virtual 'track by track tape edit' which I don't think is a bad way of looking at it and is kind of my way at looking at it, like you have a stack of "n" synced spools each with stereo tape. :)

So you want to position your stack of spools, mark your edits and pull tape onto the editing block and cut it without having to rewind each one to some relatively random position and then run it fwd again.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:02 pm

I like the markers , but I dont like the "start playing from begining of last selected clip" thing. It always suprises me with its startpoint!

supster

Post by supster » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Angstrom wrote:I like the markers , but I dont like the "start playing from begining of last selected clip" thing. It always suprises me with its startpoint!

like i said, i do think in spirit this was supposed to be an easy "audtion clip" type feature.

but once you start using the other features - like remembering you can always click anywhere on the arrange grid to set your start point - and fully utilizing the new locator system - it stops being a nuisance.

you just get used to it imo and it all turns out to be way more efficient.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com