Operator Pulse Width

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
gaspode

Operator Pulse Width

Post by gaspode » Tue May 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Can we get some pulse width for Square waves in Operator?

Perhaps I am missing it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 03, 2006 12:13 am

I don't think you will ever find that on an FM synth.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed May 03, 2006 12:46 am

Yeah, but it is handy when you want to use it as a subtractive synth :)

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 am

djsynchro wrote:I don't think you will ever find that on an FM synth.
Operator is also a subtractive synth..

but I like the idea of PWM on a FM synth..
interested in what kind of timbres/effect it will have..

condra

Re: Operator Pulse Width

Post by condra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 am

As far as I know, you cannot modulate Pulse Width in Operator, but that's not to say you can't get similar sonic results.

You can get the unpredictable hallow/glassy PWM sound in Operator by using two identical OSCs and locking one ("OSC Retrigger"), while leaving the other free. Just have the Phase "R" box highlighted on one, and off on the other. This will give you a very slightly different timbre on each key press.

You can get that washy phasey sound by using the LFO to very slowly, and very slightly modulate the pitch of either one of the OSCs.

You could also experiment with modulating OSC Feedback or A-C/B-D crossfade with the LFO.

So, Operator cannot do pure "PWM", but can do much more weird stuff with duplicate OSCs than many PWM equipped synths.

BUT YES - it would be a nice addition.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Wow... that's grave digging :P

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:18 pm

you can reproduce the PWM effect by adding a short delay that modulates between 0-30ms at a rate of xBeat or xTime factor(sine modulation).

to do this, create your operator patch and add a delay to your instrument rack. It should be set to 50/50 wet dry. the pwm effect only is most effective my monophonic operator patches, as polyphonic material will yaeld the classic "Phaser" sound as opposed to a PWM sound.

you need a separate gain outside the delay.
You will need to macro the delay time and gain offset together. where gain is about -3db in the 0 position, +6db in the 50% position and -3db in the 100% position. The same knob would be tied to delay time where 0value=0ms and 100value=30ms. This may require various trial and error to get it exact. The point is, you need to compensate for phase gain and phase loss using the same knob.

If you want static PW changes, map a knob where 0=0ms and 100%=30ms.

If you want more precision, if you have Max for live, you can assign the exact "phase" of your "delay" copy note to your operator note's pitch frequency by exact note to ms.x calibration using Max tools. Where (at n/12*d)+o{0-1} n is 1 of 12 possible Delay ms values, d is delay time {between 0-30ms} and o is offset value, is in your manual pulse width where is o=.5, then you will be at 100% phase cancelzation) attributed to your note's phase position.

mudgeforce

Post by mudgeforce » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35 pm

So...may as well dig this grave up again, since Google told me this is where to find the answer.

Assuming you google'd this question for the same reason I did (grabbed the first synth I saw without knowing what was what),
the correct answer is:

Operator is not the synth you are looking for. It's an FM synth.

Analog is the subtractive synth that you are looking for.
The location of the pulse width setting is at the very bottom of the middle area (the display that changes based on the active section) labeled "Width". Default setting is 50%; 100% is a perfect square wave.