East Coast storm, political football?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

East Coast storm, political football?

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 pm

While we are experiencing severe mild weather on the West Coast, all the news sources are reporting that Armageddon is going to hit the East Coast any second now. I certainly hope it doesn’t go down like that, but I’m wondering how much of this prediction is because of Katrina…both in lack of preparation and taking it seriously (before and after), and if you want to buy into the conspiracy there’s more influential (and white) people located in that region of the country.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see exactly how much Hell rains down over there to see if it was all overly alarmist.

Regardless, it shouldn’t be seen as any proof of climate change. Nope. :x

simmerdown

Re: East Coast storm, political football?

Post by simmerdown » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

god's wrath for perpetrating a 2 year potus race

as for political...you can bet BO is gonna call out the national guard, fema, and big bird, etc. the second the wind dies down, as use it however he can...as well he should

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 am

is that title intentionally not making sense?

they cancelled school here in new england. also, my friends tv got surged cause he plugged it into the wall directly, i blame him more than the storm. it's kind of whatever, i just shut the computer off most of the day and plan on shutting it off tonight. i was editing a song earlier and it shut off on me, didn't wreck anything though.

if anyone's actually making it out to be a huge thing like katrina on the west coast, it's just hype imo. they hype up hurricanes like this all the time and it's usually not that serious.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:40 am

rakim87 wrote: if anyone's actually making it out to be a huge thing like katrina on the west coast, it's just hype imo. they hype up hurricanes like this all the time and it's usually not that serious.
Um, they closed the NYSE which hasn't happened for weather related reasons since 1985. That's pretty hyped. And I'm not talking West Coast news. I'm talking the nationals like CNN and FOX.

But now that it's actually there they've dialed it back a lot. Of course.

MLinskey

Post by MLinskey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 am

The only real reason it is called "The Perfect Storm" is because the hurricane is just so unbelievably massive! The hurricane overall is not even that powerful...compared what it could be. It is only a level 1 hurricane, but with the cold front from Greenland it just makes the hurricane that much worse, because of snow. So this is the perfect storm because of the amount of people that will/should be left without power after this.
If you aren't someone who can do it,
then pretend you're someone who can and then do it - Inspired by Neil Gaimen

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Last time we lost power in my area I didn't have power for a week or so, it was kind of torturous. Our power blinked off and on a few times but that's it. Apparently north of boston got it heavy though and we just got the edge of that.
ImageImage

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 am

Actually, I take all of that back. I just saw Manhattan on the news. The subway is flooded and a lot of not good stuff going on...

So, it's not as bad as Katrina but it definitely fucked up New York.
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:47 am

um yeh, i'd say its a bit fuctup in nyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_rgXHcV8U

ground zero flooding, nyse too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTaSVniw3M

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:32 am

Mitt is gonna win now. The heavily democratic northeast section of the country won't have the infrastructure in place by next week in time to turn out the democratic vote. Therefore Romney wins.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm

todays punditry has the possibility of obama winning the electoral, romney the popular, because of the mess in NJ...what a mess that will be

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:58 pm

I think that's a possibility (electoral -> Obama, popular -> Romney). But only because of the storm. And still, much more plausible than 269-269. God help us.

I have to say I'm impressed with Chris Christy (one of my least favorite political characters), in that he has refused to play politics (thus far) and is giving Obama credit where it's due. Of course, it's only two days after the storm and he may be laying the groundwork for plausible deniability of a highly politicized onslaught the day of and before the election. In any case, so far he's kept it apolitical. Given what happened to his state, it makes sense.

Chris

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm

fwiw, I'm in MD, just west of DC and it sucked here. I tend to like impressive weather events, but hurricane winds drive you a little crazy inside when you hear them. We lost power just long enough for the pump that keeps the downstairs dry to allow two inches of water in. Being one of those who had 4-10 feet come in would be devastating.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 pm

I hear ya. I'm in Vermont, and while we dodged pretty much all of Sandy except brief 2 hr power outage, I experienced the wrath of Irene in full effect last year (hit Vermont very hard with major flooding). My heart goes out to those more affected by the storm.

Chris

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm

I really have to question the intelligence of the people wandering around outside who get killed in this type of weather. If you’re forced outside because of high flooding, fine…well, you probably should have relocated to higher ground to begin with, but whatever. But the people who are outside or driving around because they don’t think it’s that bad and get killed by flying debris or downed electrical lines…not a big loss in the bigger picture.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 am

I don't know, man. Most of the deaths I've heard about so far have been from trees falling... and most of those have been people in their houses. As far as people who were in evacuation zones who didn't leave, I hear you -- but there were communities in NJ at least that were not under evacuation orders (and moreover not even considered under threat of flooding) that ended up getting hammered when levies broke. (Cue Zepplin...2005 redux).

However -- I feel like at this point it is common knowledge (am I wrong?) that you NEVER... EVER attempt to drive through a flooded roadway. Even if it only looks like a couple of inches. It takes surprisingly little water and current to lift and carry a vehicle. I feel like our car culture fosters a sense of invulnerability... invincibility when we are in our vehicles. In my opinion, those who get into trouble after trying to drive through floodwaters are the winners of the Darwin awards.

One way or the other, though, these losses are tragic.

Chris