Multi Processor Support

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Meef Chaloin

Multi Processor Support

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Firstly, I'm using 7.0.18 with Asio4all in Windows 7 64 bit, 4gb RAM, Core2Duo T6600 2.2ghz.
I've just realised that I have been using Live with Multi Processor Support (MPS) turned off, despite the fact that I'm using a dual core laptop. I don't know why I have never enabled this...

When I turned it on I noticed quite a big difference in the CPU load (for the better) but it causes glitches. I've played with the buffers and I have to have quite a high buffer setting to get rid of the glitches. If I turn off the MPS the CPU goes up but the audio is more stable and I can take the buffer setting considerably lower.

I tried to set up the audio preferences again but I'm still getting the same thing. This isn't a huge problem because I don't record any audio but I do use a controller so some kind of lower latency is preferable.

Is using MPS really a trade off between higher latency/buffer settings and increased CPU performance? I emailed support about this but the response wasn't very helpful, they just told me to update to 7.0.18 (I was previously running 7.0.14) and to set up my audio preferences according to the Help Lessons. I've done both of these things but I'm still getting the same thing.

Meef Chaloin

Re: Multi Processor Support

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Does nobody have any idea about this? Bumping in hope.

wjbuchanan

Post by wjbuchanan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm using Live 8, but I don't receive any issues when enabling multi-CPU support.

Can you have a look in your BIOS, and disable any power saving features such as SpeedStep?

Additionally, try disabling HyperThreading in the BIOS too.

In Windows, ensure you are using the "High Performance" power profile and are running Live as admin (I noticed this resolved a similar issue to yours in the forum).

Hope this helps...

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks, that's improved things a bit.