post your SMALL L5 requests

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

post your SMALL L5 requests

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:24 am

I know the Abe's did a fantastic job with the new version,
and this might not be the right time to ask for some features,
but there are some little things I really wish we're different..

So since the beta forum is only for bugs,
it might be a good thing to post your opinions here about LITTLE adjustments,
so don't ask for things like '200 Impulse slots' or 'Simpler sample layering'..

Mine are;

1. It would be usefull to have a slightly thicker grid stroke for 'bars' in the clips and arrange..
There is a difference between 'beats' and 'notes' allready, but not between 'beats' and 'bars'...
---------
2. Bigger [typo]graphical contrast in the browser..
They announced it like this;

But in beta1 they changed the folder icon and it's sub content to an arrow,
not very clear i.m.o.

Or if you want to stick to the arrow option,
could you at least make the 'instruments' and 'effect units' titles a bit more heavier than the sub content?
--------

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:53 am

double clicking on a track flips between last setting and default (for the track width!)

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:07 am

yes, agree with both of you guys on your points

the old folder system seems to be way easier on the eyes.

my two main simple gripes with Live?:

1 - its extremely short on simple efficiency features ... like, no custom keyboard shortcuts, and limited use of double click shortcuts .. like globalgoons suggestion.

why? the whole philosphy behind this thing is based efficiency and simplicity ... they even left the right click menu out for 5 versions probably because they thought it caused to much clutter :

i can see the conference room arguments now "but bernhard we are not microsoft!!! now go get the wienershnitzel ..." :lol:

2 - i hate to say it but i think they need to hire some visual interface design people to overhaul the color schemes, and polish it so its not making your eyes cross to see / distinguish between elements ;)
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

DJRetard

Post by DJRetard » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:16 am

I have to agree with the folders. I like them but theres something about them I dont like and its probably the 'easy on the eyes' factor.

Im also suprised that no one has commented on the new transport feature. Im really trying to get used to it but this is the third time it has changed in 3 versions and I still like the very first one we had. I just got used to the newest one and now theres this one.

IMO, things like this cannot be changed on a whim. Whatever method a DAW uses we eventually get used to it. It becomes an extension of your arm or mouse and we do it without thinking. Now we have to get used to a thrid version of transport 8O

StompyJ

Post by StompyJ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:30 am

I thought I was the only one who wasn't thrilled about the folders turning into arrows.

It looks like a diff GUI lib used to render it. I had assumed it was needed to accomodate the browser searching, but it doesn't look as slick as it used to.
no longer needed. this is for you. you know who you are.

ilia

Post by ilia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 am

StompyJ wrote:I thought I was the only one who wasn't thrilled about the folders turning into arrows.

It looks like a diff GUI lib used to render it. I had assumed it was needed to accomodate the browser searching, but it doesn't look as slick as it used to.
I prefer the old folders as well.
Another thing I still can't get used to is that the browser steals the keyboard focus from kbd automation. Seems like a bad choice of preferences, esp considering that the browser is always open by default and gets open whenever you switch presets etc.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Last edited by Poster on Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 pm

I really like the new layout. And the arrows do a good job of illustrating, that there's more going on under the hood, that you CAN actually extract bits of a file by expanding it.

The only thing I would keep is the little black and green ableton logos for the files, but live5 has a diff. colour scheme, so I reckon it's not going to happen.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:32 pm

yea make the als icons white on black.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:01 pm

BETTER FADER CURVE....

nuff said
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:06 pm

Please make it so the ableton effects presets are not part of the browser. If im making a track, i need all the screen space i can get, and so ill close the browser when i dont need it. In Live 5, if i want to toggle through some effects presets to preview the sound, Live 5 will automatically open the browser for me. Pain. What was wrong with the menu? Or even better, why not do what Live does with VSTs, which is open up an optional popup to the side eith the presets on it?

its really the only thing bugging me about the new live, which is otherwise ace.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:17 am

dannyk wrote:Please make it so the ableton effects presets are not part of the browser. If im making a track, i need all the screen space i can get, and so ill close the browser when i dont need it. In Live 5, if i want to toggle through some effects presets to preview the sound, Live 5 will automatically open the browser for me. Pain. What was wrong with the menu? Or even better, why not do what Live does with VSTs, which is open up an optional popup to the side eith the presets on it?

its really the only thing bugging me about the new live, which is otherwise ace.
oh dang that's a good idea. just have a little thing jutt out from the side of the effect or instrument with all the presets. then when your done, you can just close that little thingy jutting out by click a little X in the corner or something.

maybe version 5.1

hey i was wondering, why doesn't Ableton ask us if we will like what they're doing before they start working on it? just have a part of the site reserved for registered Live users, and have polls on new features and how they should be implemented.

scotty

Post by scotty » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:14 pm

The new features of Live look nice to me but IMO don't seem to me to warrant a new version number (or at least don't warrant the front-page hype " the team's biggest development effort since the initial release of Live in 2001")... I mean they mostly seem like work-flow/management stuff, or catch-up stuff that should have been there already (clip freeze and plug-in delay compensation). IMO, the jump from v3 to v4 seemed much more exciting and revolutionary. Still I'm happy with more effects and improved workflow...

Anyway, as for my request list... mostly I would like more modulation options. It would be nice to have a single controller control many parameters. So for example I could have something setup so that as I raise the cutoff frequency of my filter it also simultaneously controls the send level to a delay or whatever. One way it could be implemented could be something like on the nord micromodular, where there are something like 4 group knobs (sorry I forget what thery are called) which can be assigned to control multiple parameters, and then the user merely assigns their own controller to control that group knob. So iive might allow to have a fixed number of uber/group controllers...

additional request would be for a library of basic controller curves (ableton supplied as well as with user-created presets) that could be freely and quickly assigned to whatever parameter. These curves could also be quickly saved on the fly to the library.

multiple controllers to one parameter would be nice as well...

I guess a modulation matrix in general could be helpful.

I'd love to have an individual midi note along with a note specific adsr envelope control a parameter. could be fun but may be outside the scope of Live...

-scotty

braj

Post by braj » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Allow non-native plugs to be included in Device Groups.

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:44 pm

Machinate wrote:I really like the new layout. And the arrows do a good job of illustrating, that there's more going on under the hood, that you CAN actually extract bits of a file by expanding it.

The only thing I would keep is the little black and green ableton logos for the files, but live5 has a diff. colour scheme, so I reckon it's not going to happen.
I totally agree with you. Like the new arrows, but also like the old logo for live sets.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud