MusicRadar's Best DAW vote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ollyb303

Re: MusicRadar's Best DAW vote

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:55 pm

No doubt that'll earn you a Zappa YouTube link and a rolleyes...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm

headquest wrote:Regarding "completeness", I also need software for notation, for audio editing, for playing back DVDs, for creating spreadsheets, for doing word processing, for sending email, for surfing the net.... Ableton Live doesn't currently provide for all my needs
Actually, you'll find that MFL can do those tasks. You can even read twitter from session clips!

I realize this isn't a very helpful answer. But in the context of software completing each other, MFL is a great contender.
And I know MFL may not actually be better at those tasks than dedicated software. But I have little self-control and that bit of text was begging for an "MFL can do this" post. I'm not proud of it, but I can't ignore a setup like that. However lame the joke is. Incidentally, MFL can't make jokes.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 pm

9v seems to be paranoia since banned by PH. Pathetic thread.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 pm

pencilrocket wrote:9v seems to be paranoia since banned by PH. Pathetic thread.

8O

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Those are great videos that I think really highlight the unique strengths of Live.

Given the direction that the thread has taken, some may be interested to see some of the unique - and very, very different - strengths of Reason.

For me one of those strengths is the fact that Reason uniquely emulates hardware, to an extent that it provides a near-perfect software environment for teaching students how hardware works in a studio. Don't take it from me - here's some of the top music educators in the world explaining and demonstrating this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKR609xo ... rofilepage

In case you're interested here's a couple of artist videos:

Printz Board (Black Eyed Peas) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca4J5JlX ... detailpage

Adam "Adrock" Horovitz (Beastie Boys): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04EbEVM ... detailpage

A whole load of artist soundbites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqoUkW_ ... rofilepage
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:09 pm

But these are propellerhead commercials... of course they say "wow what a fantastic product"... :mrgreen: the guys there just promote their music using reason. It is like an actor when plays in commercials. Here in Italy George Clooney plays in the commercials for Martini, Nescafe etc. So people look at him and say: "wow, if a cool guy like george drinks martini, then martini is cool". It seems you have to convince yourself that reason is a great product (on ableton forum?... :roll: )... because these musicians claim "reason is cool"?! We all know it is a great product and all the fantastic features it has (i gave it 9 out of 10). I just think it is not complete as a DAW, lacking of vst support, midi-out and rewire master functions. For you these opinions sound like a crime, something "disrespectable"... for me it is just normal criticism... and now, since i observed you wrote something different on KVR, you call me "troll" and invoke my ban... as if i was here to talk bad about reason... :?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:26 am

9V wrote:But these are propellerhead commercials... of course they say "wow what a fantastic product"... :mrgreen: the guys there just promote their music using reason. It is like an actor when plays in commercials. Here in Italy George Clooney plays in the commercials for Martini, Nescafe etc. So people look at him and say: "wow, if a cool guy like george drinks martini, then martini is cool". It seems you have to convince yourself that reason is a great product (on ableton forum?... :roll: )... because these musicians claim "reason is cool"?! We all know it is a great product and all the fantastic features it has (i gave it 9 out of 10). I just think it is not complete as a DAW, lacking of vst support, midi-out and rewire master functions. For you these opinions sound like a crime, something "disrespectable"... for me it is just normal criticism... and now, since i observed you wrote something different on KVR, you call me "troll" and invoke my ban... as if i was here to talk bad about reason... :?

The same goes to Ableton's hype. They pick up an artist and publish on their web site as if Live is choosen by the artist for best selection. But the artist is talking in the interview on a media that his/her main composition has been done in other DAW because it produces better quality sound.

Those who are talking stupid hype as an artist are paid by the company and their job is to advertise what the paying company is selling by the method you discribed as George Clooney ad. The reality is that George Clooney doesn't necessarily have to drink Nescafe and Martini in his life. I'm also fed up with Ni's hype around the internet as well as Ableton's George Clooney.

juanpablo1313

Post by juanpablo1313 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 am

FL Studio, Reason and Live are on top. This poll is a joke.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:36 am

juanpablo1313 wrote:FL Studio, Reason and Live are on top. This poll is a joke.
Or you are living in a joke world. I'm livin in a real world.

9V

Post by 9V » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 pm

this is the man that banned me from propellerhead forum, since i asked for vst support... :roll: (... "you know")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-V0t4LjhI

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:38 pm

9V wrote:this is the man that banned me from propellerhead forum, since i asked for vst support... :roll: (... "you know")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-V0t4LjhI
i hope he records better music than he does videos.

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Sure, I get that. What I don't get is why anyone would vote for the SAME programme nine times (or whatever it was he said). That's a mentality that I don't relate to :/ ... but sure, as somebody who uses two of the programmes extensively, I would happily vote for them once each.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

9V

Post by 9V » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 pm

i told you why. Because on my mac if i want to enter the site i have to vote every time, there is no other choice. Then if i use my ipad i have to vote again. With my pc again, with the other laptop again. And so on. That poll is like George Clooney 8)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:02 am

I wanted to vote for vengeance sample cd + whatever daw to drag n drop, but there was not this option.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:45 am

9V wrote:i told you why. Because on my mac if i want to enter the site i have to vote every time, there is no other choice. Then if i use my ipad i have to vote again. With my pc again, with the other laptop again. And so on. That poll is like George Clooney 8)
You certainly are interested and devoted to this poll. Have you managed to actually make any music since you became aware of it?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport