Ableton, Launchpad and Battery...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lowride

Ableton, Launchpad and Battery...

Post by Lowride » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 am

Just wondering.
Obviously LP is pretty neat from making drum patterns.
But does anyone have any idea how you can get N.I. Battery mapped properly to the LP?

Some of the preset kits that come with Battery seem to map in a weird way - or at least it seems weird.

Some of the kits use lots of cells - I can't remember which ones off hand tbh - but bear with me and I'll try to explain.

Obviously, the launchpad is an 8x8 matrix of buttons.
But how does Battery map when it has a kit installed with more than 8 cells wide?
Also - rather than allocating a battery cell to any available LP button, on some large kits, it only populates approx 2/3rds of the cells, even if the kit is, like above more than 8 cells wide.

When testing out how it behaves with some kits, it was clear that only half of batteries cells could be triggered (ie the first 8 columns of the kit), and the next half of the cells couldn't.

If there isn't an easy way of mapping in the kits to each button, is there a way of jumping across the battery cells?
I thought maybe a way of doing this would be by transposing the LP in some way, but I couldn't find how to do this in ableton (I'm still feeling my way around lol).

So, can anyone give me some tips on how to do this?

JuanSOLO

Re: Ableton, Launchpad and Battery...

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 pm

My best suggestion would be to build a custom kit in Battery, make it kind of your template set up, and build different kits from it.

Lowride

Post by Lowride » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Does that not kind of defeat the purpose of it though?
I'm sure there must be some way of doing it.

Is it more an issue with battery rather than LP?
I mean, the LP, does it not work just a like a keyboard with velocity sensitivity?
So, really, to get them to map right, you just need to transpose the buttons correctly, to make them map to the buttons correctly?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:39 pm

no velocity on the launchpad or the APC series.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:40 pm

use 'transpose' device to get the base note as desired...use 'velocity' device and map it's range to some dial for control of 'velocity'

for even more control..
you can use a midi-rack to re-map all launchpad notes separately to other notes...
(64 separate rack-chains ..with a 'transpose'+'velocity' devices on each chain)

(this is all assuming you don't have 'max4live')