Installed CamelSpace, now Ableton won't open at all

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
cty33390

Installed CamelSpace, now Ableton won't open at all

Post by cty33390 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Installed CamelSpace, CamelPhat, and their free CamelCrusher plugins all at once after downloading them. Now Ableton won't open at all and crashes during startup while it says it's "scanning custom VSTs". Tried removing all the Camel VSTs from my VST folder, still crashes. Tried renaming the VST folder to prevent Ableton from opening it, still crashes. Tried reinstalling each plug-in multiple times but no dice. Waiting on an email back from Camels tech support but nothing yet, figured one of you guys could help me out faster. This is on a Mac btw, newest versions of everything, etc...

Note: portion of the error report says:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000bf7ffffc
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

cty33390

Re: Installed CamelSpace, now Ableton won't open at all

Post by cty33390 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 am

Alright guys, solved it, figured I'd take the time to post the solution and maybe save someone else the headache. From the error report thing I figured it was a key code/serial number thing but Camel's site says that CamelPhat and Space don't use keys, just serial numbers and that your DAW will open then the plug-in will ask for it's serial number the first time you use it. Awesome, but what if your DAW doesn't open because it crashes every time it tries to "scan VSTs" during startup? Here's what I did, deleted the Ableton preferences.cfg file located in user/library/preferences/ableton/live, this way Ableton's preferences are blank and it's not programmed to scan your VST folder (tried simply renaming the VST folder but it didn't work). Now Ableton opens! Woot! K so I got into my VST folder and removed all of Camel's VSTs, and went in Ableton's preferences and reselected my VST folder which now only contains the plug-ins that were previously installed and functional. Now I reinstalled CamelCrusher because it was free and didn't use any key or serial codes so I figured that wasn't the one causing the problem. Install complete, click rescan VSTs in Ableton's preferences, shows up in Ableton's VST folder window, double click it, opens fine. On to CamelPhat, same process except now when clicked it opens and asks for its serial number, like it was supposed to do in the first place *without* crashing Ableton on startup! Put it in, works, awesome. Same thing for CamelSpace. Problem resolved. Seems to me if I had installed these with Ableton already open and just used the rescan button to refresh Ableton's VST folder it would have worked fine so I'd recommend that method to anyone else when installing VSTs to avoid a Ableton Start-Up crash. I'm a bit of an Ableton *and* a Mac noob but they're so intuitive the solutions are usually easily worked out without help, like in this case. I apologize if this has been posted before, just figured it might help someone else!

I_Speak_Bahana

Post by I_Speak_Bahana » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 am

hey man

thanks for posting the solution i was having the exact same problem after installing some soft synth

just curious, i've been after CamalPhat & crusher for a while where did you get them?

thanks again man :)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:41 am

cty33390 wrote:Alright guys, solved it, figured I'd take the time to post the solution and maybe save someone else the headache. From the error report thing I figured it was a key code/serial number thing but Camel's site says that CamelPhat and Space don't use keys, just serial numbers and that your DAW will open then the plug-in will ask for it's serial number the first time you use it. Awesome, but what if your DAW doesn't open because it crashes every time it tries to "scan VSTs" during startup? Here's what I did, deleted the Ableton preferences.cfg file located in user/library/preferences/ableton/live, this way Ableton's preferences are blank and it's not programmed to scan your VST folder (tried simply renaming the VST folder but it didn't work). Now Ableton opens! Woot! K so I got into my VST folder and removed all of Camel's VSTs, and went in Ableton's preferences and reselected my VST folder which now only contains the plug-ins that were previously installed and functional. Now I reinstalled CamelCrusher because it was free and didn't use any key or serial codes so I figured that wasn't the one causing the problem. Install complete, click rescan VSTs in Ableton's preferences, shows up in Ableton's VST folder window, double click it, opens fine. On to CamelPhat, same process except now when clicked it opens and asks for its serial number, like it was supposed to do in the first place *without* crashing Ableton on startup! Put it in, works, awesome. Same thing for CamelSpace. Problem resolved. Seems to me if I had installed these with Ableton already open and just used the rescan button to refresh Ableton's VST folder it would have worked fine so I'd recommend that method to anyone else when installing VSTs to avoid a Ableton Start-Up crash. I'm a bit of an Ableton *and* a Mac noob but they're so intuitive the solutions are usually easily worked out without help, like in this case. I apologize if this has been posted before, just figured it might help someone else!
tr;dr

(too rectangular, didn't read)

paragraphs, return key, something!!!

;)