MIDI Mapping Aftertouch (Channel Pressure) 2 macros, etc?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Phat Conductor

MIDI Mapping Aftertouch (Channel Pressure) 2 macros, etc?

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 am

I'm in the middle of a big update to my dj templates and i want to make them universal.

I've figured out a work around for the punch ins (trigger finger is the only controller with a different CC of aftertouch per pad) BUT i need to be able to map aftertouch from an AKAI MPD to control macros on racks.

Live is (unfortunately) NOT recognizing aftertouch as a MIDI mappable message :(

1. can you do this?
2. is there an easy way to make a new aftertouch message (say CC118?) in the visEx editor?
3. is there anything else i should know?
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

crumhorn

Re: MIDI Mapping Aftertouch (Channel Pressure) 2 macros, etc?

Post by crumhorn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 am

Can't use After Touch in Live as far as I know (maybe via MAX for Live - don't know)

This PD patch is what I use to convert After Touch into a Controller message.

PD File here --> http://www.sharehost.co.uk/Live/touch2ctl2.pd

Use the Test Trigger to send a message to Live when Controller Mapping.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

LaCerta

Post by LaCerta » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm

this is insane! is there really no way to get Live to accept channel pressure/aftertouch info??? (apart from max for live patches etc...)

@the phat conductor: i checked your video, and will have to look at your template more carefully, but it seems that you're using dummy clips to trigger one-shot effects. which is cool! but for my (non-dj) application, it's really not going to cut it.

i need to be able to control return effects (from within a drum rack) with the pads on my MPD32.
hit a pad + hold it turns a send on (and ideally aftertouch info is mapped either to the amount of the send level, or another parameter), then release the pad and the send level returns to 0.

the only current option of toggling the macro level (or what have you) on/off is not good enough because there is no visual feedback on these types of pad controllers to know what state your effect is in.

i'm finding it hard to believe that this is too complicated for an advanced piece of software like Live.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? control over the send via aftertouch, or just a 'bloom' effect where after a note you get an envelope on the send value, and you're just abusing aftertouch to make that happen (not a bad idea incidentally)?

the best way is the idea above - use something to convert aftertouch to a CC before it even gets to live. you can start it and forget it's there after that. that is a good way; there's probably other ways to do it besides pd but pd works.

however, if you really just want a bloom, you could also use a gate with a long release - would have the same effect, and wouldn't even require messing with the aftertouch...