is it possible (weird question)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lucien

is it possible (weird question)

Post by lucien » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:10 pm

is it possible to have your clips in session view erase themselves after it has played?

Warwolt

Re: is it possible (weird question)

Post by Warwolt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Nope. Why would you want that? Maybe you can explain so we can try to come with some alternative solutions.

lucien

Post by lucien » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

its for a dj set. i was just wondering because i would like to not have to touch my laptop and run zero chance of replying something. i know its a weird question

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 pm

there is a special edition "Mission Impossible" version of ableton Live with this feature of self-destructive clips.

I could give it to you but then I would have to kill you :lol:

Post by 102455 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 pm

That's the sort of feature you can find in pretty much any DJ software.

Live isn't DJ software - it's a DAW. 8)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:00 am

I can't prove it but it does not sound impossible.

creating MIDI events is possible upon launching clips

translating MIDI events to keyboard and mouse strokes is possible

deleting clips is possible via keyboard and mouse actions

therefore ?

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:45 pm

longjohns makes a good point, maybe look into a combination of follow actions and bome's midi translator or max for live. It sounds doable for someone who would be knowledgeable about these things.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:56 pm

this is definitely possible, probably with max, but also certainly without.

you'd have to group the audio channel containing your clip to a dummy midi clip channel which has it's output set to a virtual midi bus, iac on mac or midi yoke on pc. set bomes or midi stroke to listen for incoming notes on that same bus. make sure both clips are set to the same launch quantize so that they start together when you launch the group.

in that dummy midi clip channel you have one midi clip which has two notes programmed in it at the same point that the audio clip you wish to delete ends. if your audio clip is 120 bars long, program the first note at bar 121 for example and the second at 122. You could try programming both keystrokes to one note but I found it usually works better to leave a little time between them. set select on launch in prefs and make sure it is also selected for your dummy midi clips (important), and then map those notes in bomes or midistroke to perform the keystrokes necessary to delete your previously played audio clip. eg c3 = cursor left, d3 = delete.

beware though this can go awry if you change the clip that is selected as that first mapped note plays. live will perform the keystrokes from the currently selected clip. best way to guard against this is to make sure all your audio clips are NOT set to select on launch. i did manage once to create a set, with several cursor move and clip delete instructions, that inadvertently ate itself. 8O

obviously this approach will only work if you have your set planned out in advance and you have set the lengths of all your midi "clip delete" clips according to the lengths of the audio clips you are playing.
ideally you would want an action that performs automatically eg "at end marker" i don't know m4l, but maybe such things are possible with it. the other thing to have a look at is Clyph X - someone on the developer's board was asking the same thing.

http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=716
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

someone made a max for live device that re-colours a clip after it has been played once. He made that for the same purpose: trying to avoid to play a clip two times in a set.