Record next available empty clip slot?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bigmonster7

Record next available empty clip slot?

Post by bigmonster7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 am

I post this in the general forum, but not sure if that was the place.

(using my foot controller...which is not FCB1010. I'm using softstep)

An example would be, i'm playing live, and I record a guitar riff (track 1), piano riff (track 2), drum beats (track 3), bass line (track 4), vocals (track 5). These would all be showing up in scene 1 in ableton.

Now let's say I want to record more clips into scene 2 for track 1 -5 on the fly? So in other words, build more scenes in ableton. I would record the new clips (in tracks 1 -5 on scene 2), and then move to the next scene to change the guitar riff, or bass line. Eventually, I would be able to launch the different clips that I recorded/created live, on the spot.

to be even more specific... i'm looking for a command or a key that I can map my pedal to that would be defined as: "Start recording this clip slot"

I am only doing this so I don't have to map each clip slot to my pedal board.

I know FCB has a setup where you can navigate from clip to clip, and just hit a button mapped as "Record clip slot"

I know how to map my softstep to move from scene to scene and clip to clip (via mapping two buttons to the session view clip/scene up and down navigator), but I can't find a way to have it just follow a command "start recording in whatever clip slot I am in"

yur2die4

Re: Record next available empty clip slot?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 am

Do you currently have assigned the play buttons that show up in MIDI Map Mode under each individual channel?

They are above the volume/pan stuff, below the clip trigger buttons. They pop up when you go into MIDI Map Mode. When those are assigned, they trigger a clip that is on the row of what your Scene selector has highlighted.

There is more information on it in the manual under midi mapping I think.

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 am

yur2die4 wrote:Do you currently have assigned the play buttons that show up in MIDI Map Mode under each individual channel?

They are above the volume/pan stuff, below the clip trigger buttons. They pop up when you go into MIDI Map Mode. When those are assigned, they trigger a clip that is on the row of what your Scene selector has highlighted.

addition to this, map the direction switches to next/previous scene, arm the track then record a clip, done? press down and record another and down and another.

that should do.
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I will check that out. thanks.

The pads on the soft step are 0-9. And you can have 13 banks.

I had pads 1-5 on bank mapped to track 1-5 respectively. When I would press on pad 1, it would start recording, and when I would step on it again, it would stop recording, but would continue the loop. So on and so forth for pads 2-5...

But if I wanted to record another loop on track 1, clip slot 2, I would have to have pad 1 on BANK 2 mapped to the record slot for track 1 clip slot 2.

I was hoping for an easier way where I don't have to change banks. i.e.... pad 6 = "record in current slot" or "record in next empty slot available"

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:00 pm

as yur2die4 said record to current slot appears when you go into midi map mode: Live manual page 462 "CHAPTER 25. MIDI AND KEY REMOTE CONTROL / Relative Session View Navigation".

map your controls into this parameters instead of clip slots, when you navigate through scenes up and down you'll see Live will record into the current clip slot of the current scene you're on.
Last edited by gncgry on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:00 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Do you currently have assigned the play buttons that show up in MIDI Map Mode under each individual channel?

I just re-read this... and I think this is what I am looking for. I will try it tonight. Thanks man!

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 pm

but wait... after thinking about it... wouldn't that play button just play all the clips in the track?

Or, if I map two of my pads to up scene, and one to down scene.. if I navigate to a scene (for a track) that is empty, it will start recording?

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm

man just chill and give this a try, it simply works. 8)

you can play only 1 clip per track and you wont be launching scenes but clips so nothing will get messed up.

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm

gncgry wrote:as yur2die4 said record to current slot appears when you go into midi map mode: Live manual page 462 "CHAPTER 25. MIDI AND KEY REMOTE CONTROL / Relative Session View Navigation".

map your controls into this parameters instead of clip slots, when you navigate through scenes up and down you'll see Live will record into the current clip slot of the current scene you're on.

my bad dude. I didn't see this post. haha. I'm so pumped now!

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm

n.p =) glad it helps.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 am

monster:

thought you already knew of those buttons. the "next scene" function was trying to get you there automatically

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 pm

I did, but I was trying to find out a way to start recording at each clip on each scene without having to create a pedal bank for each scene.

This way I can stay on the same pedal bank to record all the clip slots.

Make sense?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 am

sounds like you've already figured it out, so I'll give up on communications...

:)

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

longjohns wrote:sounds like you've already figured it out, so I'll give up on communications...

sorry dude. I was sick for the past couple of weeks, so didn't get on this too much. But I did get it to work.

What it seems, is that I have to map each key on my board to each one of those "play/record/scene slot" for each track. I was initially trying to do it so that whichever slot was highlighted, I could just press a button that would initiate recording. This will do for now. I just have to get the right logic down.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:54 am

bigmonster7 wrote:
longjohns wrote:sounds like you've already figured it out, so I'll give up on communications...

sorry dude. I was sick for the past couple of weeks, so didn't get on this too much. But I did get it to work.

What it seems, is that I have to map each key on my board to each one of those "play/record/scene slot" for each track. I was initially trying to do it so that whichever slot was highlighted, I could just press a button that would initiate recording. This will do for now. I just have to get the right logic down.
now we get each other. that was what I was talking about.

fwiw, it may be possible to do what you want, with a bit of trickery. in mackie emulation, there is a function for "play selected slot" which is also roughly equivalent to the 'enter' key (if the screen focus is on the clip grid)

so by making a custom controller script or using a midi>keystroke conversion, you might have some luck