Load clips into ~buffer

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
XPM

Load clips into ~buffer

Post by XPM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 am

I was wondering how a selected clip can be loaded into a buffer object. It seems that the ms pinky m4l app does this, but I'm a bit of a max noob, and don't have the foggiest idea how to achieve it!
Was thinking this might be a nice way to skirt around the timing issues with the move playing position parameter.

pucklermuskau

Re: Load clips into ~buffer

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 am

yeah, i looked into it too, but the ms pinky patch is fairly arcane from my perspective. I agree, it would be wonderful to be able to load clips into buffers on the fly, rather than having to stream audio from a clip into a buffer live...
i drop on the lokeymassive

XPM

Post by XPM » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:16 pm

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25442

Looks like it is possible provided the audio files are in a specific directory, unless I'm misunderstanding that post on c74.

Myralfur

Post by Myralfur » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey XPM,

How's it going man?

But, to the point. It's possible as long the files are named the same as the clip name and are in a specified directory. Could use the samples folder of the live project?

Haven't yet tried it with freshly recorded files. Live adds a number code before the file that could be hard to work out. But I'm hoping to get an Max4Live MLR type variant where you can have a Clip Launcher type interface where you click on a clip to load it into a buffer and then switch to a Clip Chopping view. Should be finished by March as I need to have it handed in for some coursework.

So yeah, set a folder, get all the file names within the folder, reference them against clip names within live, then chuck those into buffers.

XPM

Post by XPM » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm good cheers man, how about you?

Sounds pretty promising. Its a shame that were having to develop workarounds for this type of thing in m4l, the key thing that I hoped for was accurate timing of clip manipulation, but unfortunately it appears that this is not high on cycling74 or Abletons list of priorities. I hope that this is something that will be addressed in the future, as I would love to have the clip chopper as my number one live device, but as it is, its far to sluggish to use in the way that I want to use it.

bdhm

Post by bdhm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

hi,

a [live-buffer~] object would be very nice !

but Ableton wrote to me: that they don't plan to integrate it.
only if there are a lot users interested.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewforum.php?f=3

bd