Sidechaining in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Yosser

Sidechaining in Ableton?

Post by Yosser » Tue May 03, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi guys,

Nice to be here.

Anyway, a quick question about sidechaining kicks (or whatever else) in Ableton...

Is it possible to do with the onboard compressor (s) or will I need Waves or such like? Sorry if this is the 10 millionth time someone has asked this :)

Cheers...

Yosser

Re: Sidechaining in Ableton?

Post by Yosser » Wed May 04, 2005 10:24 am

Almost 40 views but no reply :(

Was my question not intelligent enough for here?

wilsonrx

Post by wilsonrx » Wed May 04, 2005 11:10 am

Maybe no one knows! I don't.

A topic full of people saying "I don't know" would be rubbish.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed May 04, 2005 8:14 pm

if by sidechaining you mean using an external key to trigger the compressor, then no, the onboard compressor will not do it. However, the built in compresssor 2 has a sidechain eq.

I haven't found a compressor or gate plug in that has working external key for mac yet. the waves ones are supposed to, but the external key doesn't work. whadda drag!

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

monosite

Post by monosite » Fri May 06, 2005 2:07 am

Ableton Live doesn't have any side chaining option,
you can achieve that only thru rewiring with another program or you can hook up an external compressor/ gate/ etc... with side chain function and routing in/out of live. voila.
monosite.Hongkong
www.moneme.com

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Fri May 06, 2005 2:38 am

IIRC, wasn't there something in one of these 4.1.x updates that mentioned something about being able to handle multiple ins -> one channel? Something about vocoders?

sorry, kinda lame response but if you search the forums or the version history, you should be able to find it.

also, there's a freeware compressor out there, that I believe is both PC / Mac compatible, that does sidechaining via Left / Right input iirc. again, I don't have the specifics :? Lame I know. Japanese, that may help (or not), it might have been SlimSlowSlider or something like that :?

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri May 06, 2005 5:47 am

Otium FX Compadre if you're on PC

dinga

Post by dinga » Fri May 06, 2005 12:14 pm

for mac: TcWorks Native Bundle has a working sidechainer plug in (insert on track 1 for example) which can be used by other plugz from the bundle (compress track 2 for example)..

supster

Post by supster » Fri May 06, 2005 6:14 pm

muthafunka wrote:Otium FX Compadre if you're on PC
compadre is supposed to be able to do this, but back when i tried it - a few months ago - it crashed live

one of the recent Live bug fixes said that it fixed something to do with sidechaining.

my compadre trial expired .. i cant test it ... are you using it now and is it working in Live and most importantly:

is it worth the 50 bucks?

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

supster

Post by supster » Fri May 06, 2005 7:44 pm

*bump*

im doing more research on this at kvr etc ... no clear answers

IS anyone actually getting a VST sidechaining compressor to work with Live?

not "it supposedly supports it" or "i heard that it does"

is ANYONE getting this to work (ducking bass with the kick, etc) consistantly without crashing?
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

glenclayton

Post by glenclayton » Fri May 06, 2005 9:29 pm

OK

I have got sidechaining compression to work with live (4.1.2), Windows

I've tried 2 windows free VST compressors,

SlimSlowSlider (http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slider/vst/)
or Chunkware Vanilla (http://www.chunkware.com/vanilla/)

Just insert then as normal and then (this is the non-obvious bit), on the channel you have the key signal, set the output to Audio To box to be the track with the compressor, and *then* in the box below that select 3/4 - this routes the audio to inputs 3 and 4 of the compressor, the key signal inputs.

Fiddle about with the threashold and hey presto - instant Daft Punk / Eric Prydz*!

If you want to hear the key signal you will have to do some creative routing through a send.

Compradre Beatpuncher demo also works and gives (to my ear) a better sound but you will have to pay for it.

Good Luck....

* Ok so I might be creating a monster here!

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Sat May 07, 2005 8:47 pm

I use TC Native Sidechainer - the bundle was recently being discontinued by the developer so you should be able to come over one quite cheap.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 am

supster wrote:
c... are you using it now and is it working in Live and most importantly:

Sorry, wasn't using it, had just heard good things about it. Funnily enough though I'm having a shot at some sidechaining on Mac right now..not much success yet though..anyone had any love on Mac?

Rune | otiumFX

Post by Rune | otiumFX » Sun May 22, 2005 3:23 am

supster wrote:
compadre is supposed to be able to do this, but back when i tried it - a few months ago - it crashed live

one of the recent Live bug fixes said that it fixed something to do with sidechaining.

my compadre trial expired .. i cant test it ... are you using it now and is it working in Live and most importantly:

is it worth the 50 bucks?

Hi,

This is Rune from otiumFX (the developers of Compadre).
I just found this thread I thought I'd jump in and share a few comments.

I can confirm that Compadre works very well with Live 4.1.2 and it's possible to setup true stereo sidechaining fairly easy as described by glenclayton in this thread.

I've put together a video tutorial showing the basics of hooking up stereo sidechaining in Live using Compadre: Download here (7,48 MB)

Remember, I have no prior experience with Live before testing this out so there might be shortcuts and way to speed up the method that I'm not aware of. :-)

Anyways, hope it helps.

Best regards,
Rune

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun May 22, 2005 5:17 am

you guys might also want to check out Neodynium from Elemental Audio Systems'
www.elementalaudio.com
Last edited by AdamJay on Sun May 22, 2005 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.