Apple magic trackpad - an alternative to a mouse?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Apple magic trackpad - an alternative to a mouse?

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm

I think I'd find it more useful if it had a larger surface area, or maybe not. I guess it's kind of hard to judge without using one.

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 pm

beats me wrote:I think I'd find it more useful if it had a larger surface area, or maybe not. I guess it's kind of hard to judge without using one.

Well if you just use a lappy i don't see the value tbh. I have posted a pic in my opening post for you to compare size. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 pm

How did I miss the picture?? :lol:

I've been using nothing but a laptop at home for years and years and have never felt the desire to plug a mouse into it. Just used to it I guess. But this still intrigues me. Seems like it might be better than a Magic Mouse if nothing else.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 pm

I really like the inertial scrolling on my new MBP, so this is pretty cool IMO. Would it replace my mouse? I don't know, there's still some things where I like the precision a good mouse can bring (like tweaking softsynth knobs). For everyday use though, I could definitely see putting one of these next to my wireless Apple keyboard. Three Finger swiping for Expose is SOOO handy for me.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 pm

I hate using a trackpad. WACOM tablet FTW. I bring it everywhere. Warping and drawing automation with a trackpad? FUCK THAT.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 am

sparklepuff wrote:I hate using a trackpad. WACOM tablet FTW. I bring it everywhere. Warping and drawing automation with a trackpad? FUCK THAT.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 am

triple finger dragging is pretty neat, just tried it with Live for an hour. Triple finger dragging up and down over macro knobs works, as well as for dragging clips around.

Horizontal and vertical scrolling is cool as well.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 am

timothyallan wrote:Triple finger dragging up and down over large throbbing knobs works
:D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am

Think different.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:06 am

I love trackpads, I am pretty interested in this. I love how quick I can scroll, and side-scroll.

Definitely interested to read more reviews on this.

jopublik

Post by jopublik » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

This new magic trackpad wouldn't let me launch mutiple clips using two separate fingers would it ? What I mean is that it dosn't allow us to use it like a real multitouch control surface, or does it ? Can I chage two parameters at the same time ?

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:The trackpad on the new MBP drives me kind of bonkers. When you pinch your fingers together or slide them apart, everything on the screen zooms. It's hand for the times that you want to zoom the screen, but the problem is that it happens by itself accidentally all of the time, and it drives me bonkers.
btw, you can alter or switch off this behaviour in the preferences. I find it to be a useful feature when using photoshop etc but it can be annoying when you catch it accidentally. If you don't need it for anything then turn it off.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am

An oldie but a goodie: Mechanical Overlays http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/06 ... rface.html

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 pm

FIG 14 = iPad
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:36 pm

ubermnd wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:The trackpad on the new MBP drives me kind of bonkers. When you pinch your fingers together or slide them apart, everything on the screen zooms. It's hand for the times that you want to zoom the screen, but the problem is that it happens by itself accidentally all of the time, and it drives me bonkers.
btw, you can alter or switch off this behaviour in the preferences. I find it to be a useful feature when using photoshop etc but it can be annoying when you catch it accidentally. If you don't need it for anything then turn it off.
It's actually really unintuitive how to turn this function off. The new Trackpad has its own area in Apple's Preferences, but what they don't tell you is that there are additional hidden preferences for the trackpad in the Universal preferences. To add to the confusion, the setting that turns off the "pinch to zoom" function is called "Pinch to Open and Close" ...or something like that. I believe if you turn this off, you lose a lot more of the functionality of the pad, besides the zooming crap.