The World Cup Thread

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
leedsquietman

Re: The World Cup Thread

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:47 am

If you want to be pedantic, you can also add to the mix FAILED to qualify for USA 94, and had an embarrassing Euro 92.

Although none of the current squad were to blame for this, but our playing style doesn't look any worse.

In fact, Euro 96 losing on pens to Germany in the semis, albeit hosting the tournament, was the last time we played anything like nice flowing football with some entertainment value.

This is one reason why I usually avoid watching Internationals (especially friendlies, but also some qualifying games) because of the bland, dour football. Watching even Championship level football is better, and most of the Premier League games are much more watchable. World Cup and Euro Championships are often little better than the qualifiers.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:59 am

nuperspective wrote:just been reading some of the articles online relating to "the pressure" and "a nations expectations" have been too much [you wanna see the shit down here relating to the australian team] maybe if the paper talk has got to them. stop talking to the papers.
I love the idea that England is the only team under any pressure. England are never under that much pressure, as long as they win, doesn't matter how good or bad they played.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:29 pm

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:05 am

it pains me to say it but australia down to 10 men, showed courage and determination and ultimately showed us up in a big way.

no one will be pissed at england if they dont make it through the group stage playing with guts - as we have seen from most of the "non-footballing" nations.

its a long way from the tabloid headlines of...

E ngland
A lgeria
S lovenia
Y anks

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:03 am

Both Anelka (Le Sulk) and Domenech are tools.

How the FFA didn't sack Domenech after Euro 2008 but gave him another chance (in spite of being one of the most hated French coaches of all time) is beyond me. Imagine the English F.A. asking Schteeve McClaren or Graham 'turnip' Taylor to stay on after failing abysmally. I expect Capello to go too if we fail to get past the group stage, even though he would only be partially to blame and did well in qualifying for the World Cup.

Anelka is now retired - He must know that Laurent Blanc, who he played alongside for several years until Blanc's retirement 4 years ago, won't tolerate his crap either, otherwise he'd not retire completely.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 am

I have respect for the players that drop out early. They clock that they'll never win anything early on and think, nah, fuckit, I'd rather go on holiday. See: Paul Scholes.

All this, 'highest honour to play for your country' is bollocks. In their minds its the highest honour to play for their clubs, the WC and Euros are just summer sideshows of painfully mediocre football.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am

UKRuss wrote:I have respect for the players that drop out early. They clock that they'll never win anything early on and think, nah, fuckit, I'd rather go on holiday. See: Paul Scholes.

All this, 'highest honour to play for your country' is bollocks. In their minds its the highest honour to play for their clubs, the WC and Euros are just summer sideshows of painfully mediocre football.
thats part of the issue and why im so pissed. the world cup for many is just another opportunity to have their egos massaged and get some more sponsorship deals / tabloid column inches.

they can blame the manager all they like, but if you cant even pass the ball properly. something aint right. we have been made to look very second rate by other sides that are made up players that wouldnt make it into a championship side yet alone premier league.

if you need a manager who "motivates" to get you play for your country, then theres a big big problem.

maybe fab should take a leaf out of this guys play book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4x05Z3MSkQ

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 am

twitter wrote:The England team visited an oprhanage today in Soweto. "It's good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope", said Mbutto aged 6."

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:05 pm

8O wrote:
twitter wrote:The England team visited an oprhanage today in Soweto. "It's good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope", said Mbutto aged 6."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 pm

UKRuss wrote:I have respect for the players that drop out early. They clock that they'll never win anything early on and think, nah, fuckit, I'd rather go on holiday. See: Paul Scholes.

Their paychecks are coming from their clubs and if you aren't playing great, then you'll most likely be replaced. England isn't producing quality players and struggle to get an XI together so they can as complacent and lazy as they like.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Yep, turn up, sell a few razors and pants. Bugger off back to Manchester.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:58 pm

That was a great game just then... Go NZ! Impressive that they could withstand that Italian pressure for so long - great performance by Paston...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:42 pm

8O wrote:That was a great game just then... Go NZ! Impressive that they could withstand that Italian pressure for so long - great performance by Paston...
Yeah, but Italy is turning out to be just as much of a disappointment as France and England. I just realised that Pirlo is
actually injured; I was wondering why the hell he wasn't on the pitch. They're a different team without him.

I was really rooting for Drogba et co. against Brazil; they never really stood a chance, though, but that fucker Fabiano
really got on my nerves. Two x handball and goal approved; the rest of the match he's practising his theatrical skills. I
really thought they learnt their lesson after Rivaldo's ridiculous dive. Good riddance to Kaka, too.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:14 pm

The French thing's a complete mess now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 750302.stm

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:20 pm

France Fail!