Daft Punk Vocal tricks?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mfrazer1989

Daft Punk Vocal tricks?

Post by mfrazer1989 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMjVxk1iYU
At 1:59, the vocal segment of the word "life" is stretched out for a decent portion of the song. Any tips on how to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5__Ogi4 ... re=related
At around 4:00, I can tell that some portions of the vocals are on beat repeat, but there is a nice part where the vocals are still going ("work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger") in real time while being chopped up. What effect would I use?
Michael
soundcloud.com/mfrazer

MPGK

Re: Daft Punk Vocal tricks?

Post by MPGK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 am

Hey mfrazer,
I own Live 8 and here's what I do most of the time to go wild with vocal samples:
Right-Click on the audio clip containing the sample you wish to tweak and select "Slice to new MIDI track".
That will give you a new MIDI track with Drum Rack on it, and slices of your audio sample loaded into it. How long and how many slices there are depends on what you selected on the opening dialog. You can still change the duration of the samples in Drum Rack, though - also, you can put Audio or MIDI effects on every single sample, copy and paste to get different takes on one vocal phrase, automate the hell out of a word, slow it down, tune it up, etc. pp.

Refer to the manual p.267something for in-depth info.

handojin

Post by handojin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 am

do the "splice to drum tracks" function,, splice to 16th notes and not transients,
insert arpegiator and start at fastest setting ,, then gradually slow down to 16th notes.
this will give you a similar effect to the robot human robot human thing that happens at the begining of alive

Yamaz

Post by Yamaz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Great tips people! I look forward to mucking about with this...

mfrazer1989

Post by mfrazer1989 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:46 am

funken wrote:To get the word Life to last for ages, you need to go in and loop it. Get the word sampled, and then in Simpler select the vowel section and loop it forever. Just like you would to make a short synth sound last a long time. Experiment with the start and length of the loop, and fades. There are other effects on it as well, a vocoder I guess, not tried that yet.

Another thing you can do is timestretch, where you physically make the vowel last longer by stretching it, but in the Prime Time example I reckon its looped. Basically they are playing a bit of the word over and over.

It's definitely the Simpler. Changing the loop start point and moving through the whole sample sounds similar to the Daft Punk effect. My only problem is that when I loop it (that is, the I in LIFE) the sound is not an extend I. It's obvious where the loop begins. Is there anyway I can smooth out the sound so it sounds more consistent?
Michael
soundcloud.com/mfrazer

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 am

handojin wrote:do the "splice to drum tracks" function,, splice to 16th notes and not transients,
insert arpegiator and start at fastest setting ,, then gradually slow down to 16th notes.
this will give you a similar effect to the robot human robot human thing that happens at the begining of alive
I'm going to try this, but for a different reason..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VASkbu1gw#t=3m14s

not the best example cause I know he's got another track with something crazier but I've been looking for ways to take my buddies vocals and chop them up like this, and maybe play them on pads but not have to do every hit, so an arp might be the ticket, thanks for the idea!