Serious Error when loading VST during start-up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
feyshay

Serious Error when loading VST during start-up

Post by feyshay » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:06 pm

I figured I post this on the General Forum to query how common this is a problem for others.
I would run Live and during start-up, as it is loading VST's, I received an error message ("Serious Error"). I worked around this last time (this has happened twice) by using my VST folder on an external hard drive. Then I had to reload any VST's I loaded since last backing up.
I figured that my VST load-up problem had to do with whatever VST's I was using yesterday. Unfortunately I was doing a lot of editing with Live and Sound Forge yesterday.
This time, to fix this I moved all of my VST plug-ins into a temporary folder, started live and it worked. Then I quit Live and moved my plug-ins back into Live. Now it starts up just fine again.
Could it be a particular plug-in making a change to Live's presets somehow?
Would be interesting to see if a particular VST is creating this problem.
I'll tell you the ones I used yesterday:
PSP Nitro, Spin Audio Room Verb, PSP Master Q, PSP Vintage Warmer, Elemental Audio's--Firium, Equim, and Inspector, Operator, Voxengo Elephant, Voxengo Soniformer, FFX4, Endorphin and Block Fish. (I know that's a lot. I was messing around with compression.)
Anybody with this same problem use any of these plug-ins.

Pentium M

mosca

Post by mosca » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:10 pm

remove each one one at a time from the VST folder and start live - then you'll know which one is causing the crash

im assuming that they are all legitimate copies and not warez

i had the same problem with a couple of free VST's

thats the way it goes sometimes

mosca

feyshay

freebie VST's causing the problem

Post by feyshay » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:21 pm

Only the last 3 are freebies. Of those 3, the only I continue to plan to use is the FFX4.

tone4407

Post by tone4407 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:58 am

I had the same problem. The error message said something like 'Serious Error - Please use the Save As function yada yada yada'. So I just do a 'save as' immediately when I open a new session and rename it to something other than the default session name. Then all the VST's loaded up just fine.

I use a secondary drive as well. It seems to me as if the default session name causes problems upon loading a VST.

feyshay

VST load-up error

Post by feyshay » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:45 am

When it happens to me, the program won't even start. Just error message.

brecht

Post by brecht » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:44 pm

This is being discussed in the bugs and problems forum

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18220

I think it's a Live problem, rather than the fault of any VST. The quick fix is to rename your VST Plugins folder and then run Live. This seems to fix the problem.