Live 4.1 Update Crashes On Live Load

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Dangerous

Live 4.1 Update Crashes On Live Load

Post by Dangerous » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:39 pm

I have been using Live 4.0 for the past couple months, disregarding upgardes for the time being.

Last night I installed the upgrade for 4.1.

Now when Live is loading, it get's stuck at the VST folder loading screen.

Results:

The first time I got a serious error and a meesage saying I cannot delete a file in the VST folder.

Second time shut my PC off.

Anyone else with this issue.

PS: Do we need to uninstall Live 4.0 before we intall the upgrade?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:37 am

same thing happened me last night. Live got stuck at the Load screen while scanning the VST folder. Inexplicably it starts fine 1 out of 4 times. i'm worried. :cry:

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:52 am

Actually 4.1 loads fine for me, 4.1.1 however has the "Serious program error" banner after about a 5 minute stall at the load screen. 4.1.1 was working fine for me on Friday and i didn't install anything new since then since plug ins are the obvious culprit. The only idea i have is that it might be a corrupted preset for a plug, does that sound sensible??? I know the Live effects store presets in folders that are only associated with that version.

funkmaster

Post by funkmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:34 am

ikeaboy wrote:Actually 4.1 loads fine for me, 4.1.1 however has the "Serious program error" banner after about a 5 minute stall at the load screen. 4.1.1 was working fine for me on Friday and i didn't install anything new since then since plug ins are the obvious culprit. The only idea i have is that it might be a corrupted preset for a plug, does that sound sensible??? I know the Live effects store presets in folders that are only associated with that version.
I experienced the same problem this morning - until Friday everything was fine with Live 4.1.1, nothing happened with my system since then (because I didn´t use it), but today I got the "serious program error" message while Live was scanning the VST-plugin-folder during startup. What I did: I copied all VST-plugs into a temporary directory, thus the VST-plugin folder of Live was empty. Then I started Live 4.1.1, and this worked fine. Then I moved the plugs back to the VST-plugin folder, and now Live starts as expected. Weird, isn´t it?
--------------------------------
System:
Pentium IV 3,06 GHz, 1Gb RAM
Windows XP home SP2
M-Audio Delta66
Live 4.1.1, FL 5.0.2, Reason 3.0,
ReCycle 2.1, Rebirth 2.01,
Sonar 4.0.2 Prod., Project5 1.5, WaveLab 5.00, Kinetic, NI-stuff etc

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:59 am

I think I'll do the same. I hate when computers do things that don't seem to make logical sense.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi folks,

sometimes there are plugs that overwrite memory when accessing or scanning them. Unfortunately this can result in nothing, in immediately crashes or in delayed crashes. So sometimes it looks like everything is ok and the next time it crashes also when doing exactly the same.

You could try to remove as much plugs as possible from your plugin folder to see if it makes a difference. But again, often one or two starts are not enough to check if it works or not.

regards,
Alex

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:11 pm

Thanks Alex, good to know it's explainable at least. Its God telling me i have too many plug-in's again.

myztmuzic

Post by myztmuzic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:25 am

Finally i understand why my copy of Live 4.1.1 can crash sometimes while scanning the <vst>-folder when i launch Live 4.1.1

It only happened a couple of times in my case - but now i know excactly what to do :wink:

Thanx (again), Alex!

Best,
Jo
be-be - an eL, an eS and be a Dee
- the orb -

brecht

Post by brecht » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:23 pm

Alex,

This doesn't quite explain funmaster's work around. Why is it that when you

1. copy your VST Plugins to a temp directory
2. run Live
3. quit Live
4. put the VSTs back where they started

Live works fine again?

feyshay

vst load-up serious error!

Post by feyshay » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Wow!
Same thing happened to me now over the last couple weeks. I don't seem to make any changes. I start-up Live and during start-up as it is loading VST's, I receive and error message ("Serious Error"). I worked around last time because I had backed up my system and reloaded my past VST folder.
This time I read the forum. I figured that my VST load-up problem had to do with whatever VST's I was using yesterday. Unfortunately I was doing a lot of editing with Live and Sound Forge yesterday.
To fix this.. I moved all of my VST plug-ins into a temporary folder, started live and it worked. Then I quit Live and moved my plug-ins back into Live. Now it starts up just fine again.
Could it be a particular plug-in?
Would be interesting to see if a particular VST is creating this problem.
I'll tell you the ones I used yesterday:
PSP Nitro, Spin Audio Room Verb, PSP Master Q, PSP Vintage Warmer, Elemental Audio's--Firium, Equim, and Inspector, Operator, Voxengo Elephant, Voxengo Soniformer, FFX4 and Block Fish.
Anybody with this problem use any of these plug-ins.

Pentium M

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:35 pm

Hello,
I´ve had the same problem, on friday everything was fine, nothing changed to my system, and saturday Live crashes on startup while scanning the vst folder!
Strange is that Live already knows the plugin folder, it was already scanned a lot of times before, but it made a full scan, then the message, 2 times "ok"and crash.
I just deleted the preferences file and everything started normal, but I had to redo all off them manually and a full vst rescan.
I don´t think that it´s a plugin that causes the crash, my vst folder is ok for long time ago and any previous versions and beta´s worked fine.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

funkmaster

Re: vst load-up serious error!

Post by funkmaster » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:19 am

feyshay wrote:Wow!
Could it be a particular plug-in?
Would be interesting to see if a particular VST is creating this problem.
I'll tell you the ones I used yesterday:
PSP Nitro, Spin Audio Room Verb, PSP Master Q, PSP Vintage Warmer, Elemental Audio's--Firium, Equim, and Inspector, Operator, Voxengo Elephant, Voxengo Soniformer, FFX4 and Block Fish.
Anybody with this problem use any of these plug-ins.

Pentium M
From the above list of plugins I also have the Blockfish. In light of this, my problem occurred some days after I installed Blockfish. May be this is the culprit?
--------------------------------
System:
Pentium IV 3,06 GHz, 1Gb RAM
Windows XP home SP2
M-Audio Delta66
Live 4.1.1, FL 5.0.2, Reason 3.0,
ReCycle 2.1, Rebirth 2.01,
Sonar 4.0.2 Prod., Project5 1.5, WaveLab 5.00, Kinetic, NI-stuff etc

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:36 pm

I've had Blockfish for ages with no trouble. I think the reason its common to all our set ups is that its free and interesting.

brecht

Post by brecht » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Who runs a virus scanner with "on access scan?"

I was talking with a friend last night and we think our virus scan software might be to blame for the Live crashes. Indeed, with his computer, which had the same problem, Live takes a half hour to load unless you disable the virus scan.