Sine wave from Analog synth has extra partials?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ark

Sine wave from Analog synth has extra partials?

Post by ark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 am

If I put an instance of Analog in a MIDI channel and then put an instance of Spectrum after it, I see that when I set Analog to produce a sine wave, what I really get includes lots of partials, with the loudest being the second harmonic at about -45dB from the fundamental.

If, on the other hand, I use Operator, the frequency spectrum I get is much purer.

I am assuming that this is an artifact of Analog's attempt to simulate classic analog synths, flaws and all; but I wonder if anyone else can confirm that I'm not missing something obvious.

funky shit

Re: Sine wave from Analog synth has extra partials?

Post by funky shit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 am

geekiest. forum post. ever :lol:

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 am

ark wrote:I wonder if anyone else can confirm that I'm not missing something obvious.
Um???
That your off pink plaid short sleeve shirt doesn't work with your tartan bow tie, or that orange pocket protecter.
I mean, well... i don't want to sound like the fashionista, but corduroy is so not in this year, especially brown.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 am

ark wrote: I am assuming that this is an artifact of Analog's attempt to simulate classic analog synths, flaws and all; .
that would be my guess

COSM

Post by COSM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 am

I think its a great question and look forward to a serious answer :mrgreen:

Bunky Freaks

Post by Bunky Freaks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 am

serious try :) even/odd harmonics are possibly created in the filter saturation or another stage (->analog distortion modeling). if the filter can be bypassed see if it changes anything in the spectrum.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

COSM wrote:I think its a great question and look forward to a serious answer :mrgreen:
+1

not all of us are throwing samples together to make "product".

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:06 am

Bagatell wrote: not all of us are throwing samples together to make "product".
+1

oh snap

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm

funky shit wrote:geekiest. forum post. ever :lol:
^^^ No offense but if that's the prevailing attitude then the ableton forum really isn't what it used to be! Asking questions like that has improved my production a lot.

What Bunky Freaks said seems sensible. Although whether or not disabling the filter changes it, doesn't tell us much, there could be a saturation stage elsewhere or it could be in the oscillator waveform.

-45db sounds quiet though. I can't try this right now but can you try hard to get exactly the same sine wave out of both synths, set up a blind a/b test and then tell the difference?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:48 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:
ark wrote: I am assuming that this is an artifact of Analog's attempt to simulate classic analog synths, flaws and all; .
that would be my guess

a sine on a classical analog has no partials..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 pm

3phase wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:
that would be my guess

a sine on a classical analog has no partials..
Err. Yes it does. You're not going to get a pure sine wave out of analogue circuitry, it's always going to get distorted somewhere. Eh, last I looked at the waveform of the output from an analogue synth, the triangles weren't even triangular, and that's a lot easier to synthesise than a sine.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

ciw wrote:
funky shit wrote:geekiest. forum post. ever :lol:
^^^ No offense but if that's the prevailing attitude then the ableton forum really isn't what it used to be! Asking questions like that has improved my production a lot.
chillax.. im probably the biggest geek in this thread,
but please agknowledge the fact that apart from TD's cable orgasms, this was pretty geeky,

i didnt say it was a bad thing.

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Ok ok I chill :) I don't read enough of this forum to judge but there are certainly similar threads around. I started one elsewhere a while back regarding why a certain commercial tune had a pretty flat spectrum even when only kick and bass were going. (The answer, a hihat on each kick). All important stuff to know. Then there are linear phase eqs, oscillator phase on basslines, and so on, all seemingly technical nitpickery but actually having an audible effect.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:40 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
Err. Yes it does. You're not going to get a pure sine wave out of analogue circuitry, it's always going to get distorted somewhere. Eh, last I looked at the waveform of the output from an analogue synth, the triangles weren't even triangular, and that's a lot easier to synthesise than a sine.
You want to tell me that analog synth cant producer propper sinewaves? some minimal distortion hardly cant be called a partial

mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:43 pm

3phase wrote:You want to tell me that analog synth cant producer propper sinewaves? some minimal distortion hardly cant be called a partial
No, I don't find it at all improbable that an analogue synth attempting to produce a sine wave will have overtones at -45dB. You'll note that OP says he sees it in the spectrogram, not that he heard it.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.