Mileece

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loren!

Mileece

Post by loren! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:40 pm

Does anyone know how she gets all those little cuts, clicks and pops?
Does anyone know how to do this in live?

I'm thinking useing random and midi, but i dont know where to start.
Bjork and Aphex Twin do this too.

http://www.mileece.net/

(You have to scroll right. Listen to tridi, fern, then formations. great stuff)

Any ideas?
Thanks.

David

Post by David » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:42 pm

hi loren!

I had a listen and really like that sound. One way in which I get pops, crackles and little noises is to either generate them myself with a program such as Reaktor, or Matlab, or just sample unusual sound sources....of which there are inifinite possibilites. A more direct source is to record old vinyl records and instead of sampling the actual sounds in the record, just sample the bits in between, where there are no actual sounds apart from the noise of the vinyl or pop/hiss/crackle of the worn material, or perhaps the tail off a fading out sound. I find that sampling certain vinyl music is useful for also capturing the effects which were applied to that piece of music, such as reverb, sampling reverb is fun.

I think it was Lee Scratch Perry who recorded eggs frying and got that really nice 'frying' sound you here as a texture on some dub stuff. Even artists now such as deadbeat use that fuzzy frying, crackling type sound as as backdrop. I think Fehlmann also likes his gritty textures which strike a nice balance with a clean digitally sampled groove.

good luck with your pursuit of crackle and pops!

loren!

Post by loren! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:53 pm

eggs...hmmm ... good idea. (I think)
not shure..

Any way... I can get the clicks and crackles (i tap a guitar cable when it's unpluged. then I took individual cracks and put them into impulse and added random. It makes rhythmic cracks.)

But i cant get the audio to start and stop like that. little bursts. seemingly random. like in tridi.

also there's some realy strange synth sounds in those tracks. Are they even synths or are they sampled? where does she get those nice deep pad sounds?

David

Post by David » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:09 pm

loren! wrote:eggs...hmmm ... good idea. (I think)
not shure..

Any way... I can get the clicks and crackles (i tap a guitar cable when it's unpluged. then I took individual cracks and put them into impulse and added random. It makes rhythmic cracks.)

But i cant get the audio to start and stop like that. little bursts. seemingly random. like in tridi.

also there's some realy strange synth sounds in those tracks. Are they even synths or are they sampled? where does she get those nice deep pad sounds?
hi loren,

I just had a listen again, this time with my headphones on compared to my laptop built in speakers (not the best). The synths are really nice I agree, some of them sound like quite simple sine waves, perhaps with just a few harmonically ones?? just guessing though, what synths are you using? are you using soft synths?

computo

Post by computo » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:01 pm

I havent listened to the example, but there is a GREAT vinyl distortion, much better than live's available for free named Izotope. It is freaking good.

I highly recommend it

FaX-01

Re: Mileece

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:50 am

loren! wrote:Does anyone know how she gets all those little cuts, clicks and pops?
Does anyone know how to do this in live?

I'm thinking useing random and midi, but i dont know where to start.
Bjork and Aphex Twin do this too.

http://www.mileece.net/

(You have to scroll right. Listen to tridi, fern, then formations. great stuff)

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Alot of this is still based on ordered models and is hardly random in structure (it sounds pretty deliberate to these ears) .....
Particularly this Mileece stuff and ALOT of Bjorks work also.
Nature documentaries with high quality filed recordings are an excellent staring point along with SIMPLER and very very tight sample loop points.
Lot's of interesting microsounds can be pulled out of these and almost anything else really (speech / drum loops / fret noise / objects being tapped or dropped around the house / hail on the roof)etc etc etc ...
Rex'd vinyl static with another drum groove applied to it is another example.
Just remeber to work with micro fine elements of discreet audio sources.
Process them in oddways - and then make some rather exacting rythmic and textural sound scapes out of them would be the best bet as a starting point.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....