LIve Performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tronstones

LIve Performance

Post by tronstones » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 am

Dumb Question, but maybe I'm missing something or need a creative approach.

So I'm preparing for a live performance in a few months. Gonna have a load of loops/mixdowns to trigger using the launchpad, and maybe a synth or two in an ableton session. What should I do to transition to a new song/session?

Only two solutions I came up with is use two computers, or use reason to play filler samples in between songs.

Any other ideas would be most helpful. I think it would get too messy having every sample for the set in one session. Thanks in advance

infiniteB

Re: LIve Performance

Post by infiniteB » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 am

tronstones wrote:Dumb Question, but maybe I'm missing something or need a creative approach.

So I'm preparing for a live performance in a few months. Gonna have a load of loops/mixdowns to trigger using the launchpad, and maybe a synth or two in an ableton session. What should I do to transition to a new song/session?

Only two solutions I came up with is use two computers, or use reason to play filler samples in between songs.

Any other ideas would be most helpful. I think it would get too messy having every sample for the set in one session. Thanks in advance
two instances of live
play/mix in a record/serato/cd-j
effects like delay, feedback, reverb can make great fillers, keeping with and f'ing with the premise of the end of the last song...
mix in drum machine and/or play synth and/or have arp ready that you can simply change the key of by pressing a key or two
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 am

I have used two instances on the same mschine and it can work but you need to try that yourself to see how it goes, it will depend on your machine.

If you are switching from one to the other and both sets are already loaded, things should be ok. But if you are loading a set in one the audio may be interrupted in the other.

I am not vastly experienced playing Live live, but I can tell you it does seem like loading another set takes forever while you're in front of people.

If you can do two computers with a small mixer it is the expensive but maybe more reliable solution-- at the very least you have a "hot backup".
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 am

make one big set with all your songs in it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 am

Determining how you transition IS figuring out how to play live IMO. So many options...

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 am

Indeed a lot of options...
I only have one laptop. My last performance I did two songs using Live and an APC40 and a 25keys keyboard.
I set up two blocks in an 8X5 grid, diagonal from one another, in the same live session. But I guess it's 8x8 for a Launchpad:

00000000-------- 90 bpm
00000000-------- 90 bpm
00000000-------- 90 bpm
00000000-------- 90 bpm
00000000-------- 90 bpm
--------00000000 110 bpm
--------00000000 110 bpm
--------00000000 110 bpm
--------00000000 110 bpm
--------00000000 110 bpm

After the first song, I just selected the second 8x5 grid (to show up on my APC40) and used the arm buttons to control the synths I wanted to control with they keyboard, during that song. Worked like a charm!
If you want to fill the gap in between, just trigger a loop or some nice dubby delay... or just tell a joke :wink: to fill the time you need to switch/start your next song.

Next time, I will do more songs using Live, So I guess I will just be adding more "gridblocks" then...

Good luck with your Gig!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

tronstones

Post by tronstones » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 am

thanks for the advice all. I'm soaking it all in. I think for stability I will probably open reason first then ableton and cue a loop in reason as the first song ends, close the live session and open up the new song in ableton as the reason file plays. Doesn't give me much down time between tracks though, because it will be a rather nonstop cue fest......

15 tracks in one ableton session seems like a nightmare for organization, not to mention bpm.

do you think the axiom and launchpad running through a usb kvm switch would be able to trigger both computers without much lag?

I think I may just resort to telling jokes!......or have a couple of hot backup dancers to distract the audience

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:13 am

tronstones wrote:thanks for the advice all. I'm soaking it all in. I think for stability I will probably open reason first then ableton and cue a loop in reason as the first song ends, close the live session and open up the new song in ableton as the reason file plays. Doesn't give me much down time between tracks though, because it will be a rather nonstop cue fest......

15 tracks in one ableton session seems like a nightmare for organization, not to mention bpm.

do you think the axiom and launchpad running through a usb kvm switch would be able to trigger both computers without much lag?

I think I may just resort to telling jokes!......or have a couple of hot backup dancers to distract the audience
I think the KVM switch will look like you're unplugging the device to Live, which means you won't be able to use it again without totally restarting Live every time.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:51 am

tronstones wrote:thanks for the advice all. I'm soaking it all in. I think for stability I will probably open reason first then ableton and cue a loop in reason as the first song ends, close the live session and open up the new song in ableton as the reason file plays. Doesn't give me much down time between tracks though, because it will be a rather nonstop cue fest......

hehe

ya it takes a bit to wrap your head around but what your talking about would scare the hell out of me lol..

when we perform i load ableton and do sound checks and then i never touch the computer for the entire show.. unless i have an issue.. otherwise i use my midi controllers to interact with live..

i keep all songs with in the first 8 tracks but i use how ever many scenes i need per song..
then i leave a blank scene between songs.. also my first scene of each song will have notes written in deactivated clips and on the master scene launch..
i set the tempo and time sig with the master scene launch...

if the computer fails completely we play acoustic.. (double bass, keys, vox, clarinet)
but that has only happened one time.. it was our first gig with ableton and i grabbed the wrong cat 5 cable.. it was a crossover cable lol.. at the time i was using a server rack and ran a kvm extender to the stage for my computer monitor.. bad idea and set up time sucks.. laptop is much better hehe
the funniest thing about that show is only 2 people asked me why i had so much stuff on stage lol