ableton and akai mpc

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Zky

ableton and akai mpc

Post by Zky » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:14 am

Hello guys

usually the people who own and mpc just hook it via midi sync with their laptops..

but..the mpc can send midi messages as well..as far as I know

should be a way to control ableton from the akai? the machine have a 64 pad bank that could be useful for trigger sequences on ableton..make it more interactive and fun in a live performance, this plus a fader box maybe..

any comments?

thetonewrecker

Post by thetonewrecker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:25 pm

I've been jammin' it this way since day one. You have way more than just 64 pads (4 banks of 16) since you can just increment the midi channel for the banks on the fly on the mpc giving you a whopping 1024 custom pads assigned to specific clips.

I merge the midi signal with the behringer BCR2000 and works with no issues at all.

good luck.

karate

Post by karate » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:10 pm

I just sold the MPC 4000, I am only working with Live now. Never got a chance to use both of them at the same time. What do you guys sequence on? When you sequence on the MPC, do you lose any functions in Live? Can you still sequence VSTI's? I don't think I could program drums without the randomize feature on Live. I do love the sequencer feel on the MPC though. I am just trying to justify why I would even need an MPC anymore.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:19 pm

karate wrote:I just sold the MPC 4000, I am only working with Live now. Never got a chance to use both of them at the same time. What do you guys sequence on? When you sequence on the MPC, do you lose any functions in Live? Can you still sequence VSTI's? I don't think I could program drums without the randomize feature on Live. I do love the sequencer feel on the MPC though. I am just trying to justify why I would even need an MPC anymore.
- if you like the "feel" of the sequencer on the MPC, it would be the pads, right? I mean, not the menus and stuff, right? If it's the pads you can always buy some midi pads - korg have 'em, akai have 'em, and M-audio are launching some as well.
Personally I use a step sequencer, and it tangos pretty well with live4, best of both worlds really.

Didn't akai do a sampler-less mpc sequencer once? I've been trying to find it here in Denmark, but without luck.

(you can easily sequence vstis with the mpc, AND sequence the mpc with live.)

karate

Post by karate » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:32 pm

When I mean feel, I am talking about the sequencer. I do like the pads though. Yes Akai does a sequencer called the ASQ-10. It is a bit pricey for what you get. You can spend a hundred or so more dollars and get the sample engine: MPC 60, MPC 2000. Try Ebay USA to find the ASQ 10. What I really want is Ableton to put in a nudge feature on there sequencer.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:39 pm

ah okay, the fabled "mpc-groove". Could you explain the nudge function? Does it nudge an entire recording, individual notes, what?

karate

Post by karate » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 pm

It's not just a fable... :lol: A nudge feature would be to move a single midi note ahead or back. Just like when drummers hit the snare a little early. Oh yeah a swing feature on ableton just for single notes or clips.