Delete instant mappings of the APC40

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
fl1p

Delete instant mappings of the APC40

Post by fl1p » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:20 am

Does anybody know how to delete instant mappings of the APC40?
For instance, i want to deactivate the stop buttons of the columns.
But i can't think of a way to remove the instant mapping but to override it.

Is it possible to manipulate instant mappings without max?

S4racen

Re: Delete instant mappings of the APC40

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi Fl1p,

Deleting the instant mappings is impossible without bomes or max, thes can block the midi message or swallow it from reaching ableton and stopping the clips, even translating them into doing other things like changing the global quantize for example....

But the solution that will help you is simple, you need to map the buttons to something else, for example if you have a new audio track and then map the 8 stop buttons to each of the first 8 clip slots, when you press the buttons they will fire the clip slots rather than stopping the eight tracks the should on the instant mapping.... Make sure you have the new audio track as not armed for record otherwise the pressing of the buttons will record clips and leave the button lit....

Alternatively why not have the eight clip slots with dummy clips in them? Do a search for Tom Cosm's megaset and you'll be convinced that you need to use the 8 buttons positively!

Cheers
D

ps make sure you have the APC40 set up correctly in the preferences and not just as a control surface, you need to have track and remote switched on for both the input and output to have the above working correctly.....

fl1p

Post by fl1p » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Thx S4racen
I'll try that right away..

why didn't I think of remapping instead of just deleting the functionality?
guess I wanted to know how to mess with the instant mappings.

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Also you just map them all to some unused function in live.

fl1p

Post by fl1p » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 am

Another problem is, that when I use the Bome, I end up with buttons or faders with 2 functionalities.
Let's say I want to map the "+" key to the metronome-button on the APC40 so i can zoom in on the wav. I start by making a new Translator in Bomes. I capture MIDI while pushing the Metronome button and put the captured MIDI Note as Incoming Event. For Outgoing I use Keystroke Emulation and type an "+".

So, when I hit the metronome button from now on, it zooms in on the waveform but also starts/stops the metronome. Since I did not map that button manually the original Mapping has not been overriden.

Is there a way to avoid that, without mapping the metronome button to s.th. I dont need?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Fl1p,

In the incoming rules section there should be an option to swallow incoming midi message, this ensure the metronome isn't then sent the instruction....

If you have a pass all function like in = rr ss tt out = rr ss tt then you'll need to have a rule in this function to say that if the incoming message is that of the metronome control then exit rules and skip outgoing function!

I take it you have the full version of bomes now then?

Cheers
D

fl1p

Post by fl1p » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:12 pm

activating the "swallow midi message" does not work..

i think the problem is, that the original functionality is not sent via midi but through an instant mapping. so theres nothing to swallow, or am I wrong?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Ahh i see.... It's making it's way through the control surface optionb rather than being bomes....

Change the Control Surface APC40 inputs and outputs to be Bomes Midi Translator 1....!

Oh and send me your email to darren.cowley@ir.inchcape.co.uk as i may have something that'll help...

Apart from zoom, what else are you going to achieve?

Cheers
D

fl1p

Post by fl1p » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

@ s4racen: you got mail. :)

Hmm, I already have the monomulator midi busses in the in- and outputs of the APC control surface..may that be the problem?
I thought it shouldn't cause any trouble since the internal mappings are the problem, not some midi-mappings.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Ummmm... That's a tricky one, i don't think the monomulatar bus will change the midi message and so it is passing through bomes to be translated and then the same message is passing through the control surface via monomulator and activating the metronome.... I've never got into the monome stuff... maybe i should?

Cheers
D