Can I check average RMS level on the master bus using live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mlee_aus

Can I check average RMS level on the master bus using live?

Post by mlee_aus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:43 am

Hi Guys,

What plugin do I use to check the average rms output on the master output? In logic I just the the level meter and I can geta good idea of how loud my tracks are.

If there isn't a plug built into Live to do this is there a freeby that will?

Thanks.

theque

Re: Can I check average RMS level on the master bus using live?

Post by theque » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:48 am

you will be wanting this free little number

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3714.html

mlee_aus

Post by mlee_aus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:24 am

theque wrote:you will be wanting this free little number

Thanks bro!

theque

Post by theque » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 am

no problemo, there is anotherone called rms buddy around somewhere too.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 am

theque wrote:you will be wanting this free little number

Dear theque,

I have a few notes:

1) TT Range Meter is a "dynamic range" meter, not an RMS meter. Sonalskis FreeG is more appropriate for the purpose, as it measures RMS levels and is 100% free.

2) Although announced as a freely available plugin, one must register as an "active member" at their web site (pleasurizemusic.com) in order to obtain download and other privileges. Becoming an active member means paying annual fee for membership.

Regards,

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 am

The TT meter used to be free but now they charge you for being a 'premium' user to get the plugin which sucks, because it's a great plugin for measuring dynamic range and very good for reviewing existing material so you can see what it's dynamic range is.

I just do all my mix finalizing/mastering in SOundforge precisely because it has it's detailed stats analysis and clipping detection tools. I can also view this information in Cubase and until Ableton put similar audio stats analysis in Live, a 3rd party plugin or program will be necessary to check this stuff. We got multiband dynamics and limiter last time around *finally* so maybe they can view this as a serious feature request for later versions of Live.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

magestro

Post by magestro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:18 am

locojohn wrote:
theque wrote: I have a few notes:

1) TT Range Meter is a "dynamic range" meter, not an RMS meter. Sonalskis FreeG is more appropriate for the purpose, as it measures RMS levels and is 100% free.

2) Although announced as a freely available plugin, one must register as an "active member" at their web site (pleasurizemusic.com) in order to obtain download and other privileges. Becoming an active member means paying annual fee for membership.

Regards,

Andrejs
concerning Nr. 1 TT Dynamic Range Meter measures RMS as well as Dynamic Range is roughly spoken the Difference between Peak and RMS over a defined period of time, both shown with the TT VST.

concerning Nr. 2 This sucks big time. I downloaded it for free in the Beginning of the Movement. They even handed it out with some mags. I do understand they need money to keep on their obviously good work, but it should not be the private music makers that should pay em.

I just made a short search and discovered the Partners like Brainworx (Google is your friend)

still got it as a free download on their site.

You just have to name one E-Mail adress to get the Download link. Guess they will send you a Newsletter after that, which you can obviously unsubscribe after you got what you need. Guess with Algorhytmix it should be the same. I even found some other completely free Download links on forums we all know with a single search :)

Mind you its a good and exact VST and especially the Offline DR Meter comes in handy to check if you squashed your mix a bit to hard or need to compare with others.

Cheers

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm

magestro wrote:
locojohn wrote:1) TT Range Meter is a "dynamic range" meter, not an RMS meter. Sonalskis FreeG is more appropriate for the purpose, as it measures RMS levels and is 100% free.
concerning Nr. 1 TT Dynamic Range Meter measures RMS as well as Dynamic Range is roughly spoken the Difference between Peak and RMS over a defined period of time, both shown with the TT VST.
Not quite. Although TT Dynamic Range Meter does provide RMS values over a relatively short period of time, these RMS results don't match with the results from Somalskis Free G, being different by some 3-4 dB:

Although this may well be because Free G calculates RMS over a longer period of time, while TT meter updates it more frequently, I would prefer Free G to calculate the average RMS over the whole track.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

magestro

Post by magestro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

locojohn wrote:
magestro wrote:
locojohn wrote:1) TT Range Meter is a "dynamic range" meter, not an RMS meter. Sonalskis FreeG is more appropriate for the purpose, as it measures RMS levels and is 100% free.
Not quite. Although TT Dynamic Range Meter does provide RMS values over a relatively short period of time, these RMS results don't match with the results from Somalskis Free G, being different by some 3-4 dB:

Although this may well be because Free G calculates RMS over a longer period of time, while TT meter updates it more frequently, I would prefer Free G to calculate the average RMS over the whole track.

Andrejs
I am with you on that, its why I stated "over a defined period of time" :) The normal dynsmic Range meter shows you just the RMS at this exact point. I just wonder why those two meters differ from one another. They should not (once again i am with you) this might be, because both got different latencies. Just a guess. Does the sonalksis (re-)calculate the rms all the time while the track plays? Then it would be a mixture between the two DR ones :)

In case you want to judge the RMS and DR average for a whole track you need to use the "Offline Dynamic Range Meter" also provided with the Download. This analyses the overall track/song and gives you the DR value to apply to your product.

All in all it is just matter of preference, i guess. I did not use the Sonalksis till now, but it looks like i should give it a try.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm

I always use my ears to determine how loud my tracks are. I must be weird.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 pm

There's also Roger Nichols Inspector which is very useful on the master buss. And is also free.

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/Plug ... ector.html

mlee_aus

Post by mlee_aus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks guys!

It would seem I am spoiled for options. :)