Automatic search doesnt work

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
forge

Automatic search doesnt work

Post by forge » Mon May 14, 2007 12:47 pm

I loaded on a new computer a Simpler drum rack I made ages ago on another computer that uses the drum samples that come with live

it said it couldnt find the samples, then when I clicked the orange area to find them, I have all options enabled and even chose the folder I knew the samples were in but it keeps saying "no new candidates", then if I press the hotswap button the sample appears on the left browser so I can double click it and its found

so at the moment I have to do them one by one

so if it can be found to the left in the browser, why isnt it finding it with auto-search in the right?

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon May 14, 2007 3:35 pm

I had the same luck using the search yesterday.
Is it broken?
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon May 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi,

Does it work if:

-you enable search folder, and 'fully rescan folders' only
-set the right folder.

Another way, if you know where they are, is to enable only 'search near samples already found', drag one of the samples from the browser to the list of missing samples, and then to click the 'go' button.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

forge

Post by forge » Mon May 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Does it work if:

-set the right folder.

Another way, if you know where they are, is to enable only 'search near samples already found', drag one of the samples from the browser to the list of missing samples, and then to click the 'go' button.

Regards,
Amaury
hey AMo

no this is why I put it in the bugs forum - ALL the options are enabled

as I went through manually replacing with the hot swap button I still tried and it still didnt work

what was really strange was that when I used the hotswap button the file would magically appear in the left hand browser, so it had found it over there

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 am

forge wrote:
Amaury wrote:Hi,

Does it work if:

-set the right folder.

Regards,
Amaury
hey AMo

no this is why I put it in the bugs forum - ALL the options are enabled

as I went through manually replacing with the hot swap button I still tried and it still didnt work

what was really strange was that when I used the hotswap button the file would magically appear in the left hand browser, so it had found it over there
Hi Forge,

Well, what I'm advising is to enable only some options, and not all of them. Enabling all of them could reduce the chances of finding the samples, in some cases (yours it seems).

Could you try exactly as I said, to see if it helps? If not, let me know.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:28 pm

all I have enabled at the moment is the bottom 3 - and those 3 should work together

No I'm pretty certain it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing

the thing is it finds it to the left in the browser, but even if I enable a folder to search it wont automatically replace all the samples

I have to do it one at a time in a situation that I would expect auto search would be useful

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Really, it does generally work if you follow the procedure

enable ONLY 'search near already found'

replace one sample manually

hit go

(you have to do this for each folder which contains missing samples)

* I had some luck with 'manage library' this weekend, with only 'search project' enabled - found about 80% of missing files in one go

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:08 pm

in other words, nobody disputes that it doesn't work like it should.

only giving advice about how to make it work!

;)

aviavi

Post by aviavi » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:30 am

The manage files function is horribly implemented in Live 6 -- it's super slow and doesn't work properly.

Case in point: I set the folder location that Live is supposed to search to the exact folder that the file is in (which I can verify by seeing it via my Mac's finder). Click Go to search, and Live can't find the file.

Avi

forge

Re: Automatic search doesnt work

Post by forge » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:21 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil:

this is utterly infuriating STILL

I honestly can not see how it is in any way beneficial to have ONE candidate and to then have to go through EVERY sample one by one, clicking the question mark, then going to the browser to the left and double clicking to tell Live to just accept that candidate

when it says "do you want to resolve all samples from the same location" I would prefer it just took the 1 candidates for each one

either that or a second option saying "would you like to use all single candidates found?"

the thing that is most infuriating for me right at this very moment is that I have a huge long list of samples that are from the 808 drum machines kits that I have to replace one by one - but I have the drum machines installed!!

rasputin

Re: Automatic search doesnt work ("1 Candidate")

Post by rasputin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 am

This seems broken at best. It says right in the manual that if ONE CANDIDATE is found, it is replaced and the issue is considered closed. Considering all the beta versions of 8.0.5 that were floated, I'm a little surprised that this common issue was not fixed.
I'll ask Ableton directly and see if they have an answer, excuse and/or workaround.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

rasputin

Re: Automatic search doesnt work

Post by rasputin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:57 pm

They did suggest trying a Library Repair, but the problem still persists in 8.0.8.

As someone pointed out, you can go one by one and fix the "1 Candidate"s but that's sort of cumbersome.

I haven't looked at the offending samples all that closely but I get the feeling that some or all may be related to a Puremagnetic livepack. I'll uninstall it and try again.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.