If you're looking for a USB powered Midi foot controller...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eisnein

Re: If you're looking for a USB powered Midi foot controller...

Post by eisnein » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 pm

that preset would need to occur within the software side of things, so there would need to be some sort of hack to make one of the switches change presets in order to function like banks. no hands free switching bwtn a "transport" bank of 4 switches and a "looper" bank of another 4....hmmm... :?
second class robot

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:13 pm

ghostly wrote:No sending of note info? I'll keep my FCB1010 thanks. :D
Not sure what platform you're on, but you could always use something like MidiPipe (mac) or Bomes (pc) to convert CC into a note message.
eisnein wrote:that preset would need to occur within the software side of things, so there would need to be some sort of hack to make one of the switches change presets in order to function like banks. no hands free switching bwtn a "transport" bank of 4 switches and a "looper" bank of another 4....hmmm... :?
Again, maybe Bomes or MidiPipe could be used to acheive this. I know MidiPipe can trigger applescripts, I've only made very basic applescripts before, but you could probably use an applescript that would bring the FBV editor into focus, then select the preset you wanted in FBV editor, this should work like having banks.

depnaker

Post by depnaker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:21 pm

How many banks does it have?

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Does not have banks. You save presets in the FBV editor. However, I just posted a suggested workaround for this above. Haven't tested that yet, but I'm sure it could be done.

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:32 pm

The Landwhale wrote:
Not sure what platform you're on, but you could always use something like MidiPipe (mac) or Bomes (pc) to convert CC into a note message.
I've used MidiPipe in the past, and it's a great program but once you start messing about with apps like this things can get very complicated very quickly. I need to send CCs, program changes and note on messages, I need a wah pedal and a volume pedal, and the FCB1010 is flawless at all of that. Also, I use an old school drum machine from time to time and sending MIDI data to it via a midi cable is something that FBV could not do simply.
The Landwhale wrote:
eisnein wrote:that preset would need to occur within the software side of things, so there would need to be some sort of hack to make one of the switches change presets in order to function like banks. no hands free switching bwtn a "transport" bank of 4 switches and a "looper" bank of another 4....hmmm... :?
Again, maybe Bomes or MidiPipe could be used to acheive this. I know MidiPipe can trigger applescripts, I've only made very basic applescripts before, but you could probably use an applescript that would bring the FBV editor into focus, then select the preset you wanted in FBV editor, this should work like having banks.
I use MidiStroke to send a cmd-tab message when it receives a midi note and have this set up on my FCB1010. That way I can easily flick between 2 apps with my feet. You could no doubt get it to select another shortcut in the FBV editor or look into AppleScripts with MidiPipe like you say. You could also look into Proxi.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 pm

yeah unfortunately still a workaround- still having two Expresses would be more easily transportable than the FCB. (or just rock the 13 button FBV)
second class robot

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 pm

ghostly wrote:
The Landwhale wrote:
I've used MidiPipe in the past, and it's a great program but once you start messing about with apps like this things can get very complicated very quickly. I need to send CCs, program changes and note on messages, I need a wah pedal and a volume pedal, and the FCB1010 is flawless at all of that. Also, I use an old school drum machine from time to time and sending MIDI data to it via a midi cable is something that FBV could not do simply.
The Landwhale wrote:
I use MidiStroke to send a cmd-tab message when it receives a midi note and have this set up on my FCB1010. That way I can easily flick between 2 apps with my feet. You could no doubt get it to select another shortcut in the FBV editor or look into AppleScripts with MidiPipe like you say. You could also look into Proxi.
Well, looks like you should stick with the FCB then since you need to send data via Midi cable.
For what it's worth though, the FBV can send program change, CC, MMC, and Mackie transport messages.
Also, the expression pedal on the Shortboard can switch between two different CC's as well as trigger a third with the Toe switch. You can also plug in an additional expression pedal.

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 pm

^^^^^ I am going to stick with the FCB1010 cause it is a great unit. The only thing that I hanker after from the FBV is the bus powered option, that would be cool.

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Ghostly, sounds like you should. If it's already working out well for you, why not?
Also, I think there is a mod out there to power your FCB from the Midi cable, maybe that's your answer.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Christoph wrote:
Also, the expression pedal on the Shortboard can switch between two different CC's as well as trigger a third with the Toe switch. You can also plug in an additional expression pedal.
yeah i love that feature- having two functions on 1 exp pedal is great. is it because of the USB connection that you can't have multiple presets or just because its simpler/less expensive to produce a midi controller that doesn't have more presets than switches?
second class robot

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 pm

I vaguely recall that the FBV has buttons that click when you press on them. If you are doing acoustic recording, that may be a problem, since they would make a noise.
The Behringer unit is a good one. The FBV Express is good if you are a guitar player and have a POD. Then you get the control of the POD, wah control, tuner and you get the added bonus of incorporating it into an Ableton Live set.
I'm liking the Express and the Behringer unit.

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:40 pm

feyshay wrote:I vaguely recall that the FBV has buttons that click when you press on them. If you are doing acoustic recording, that may be a problem, since they would make a noise.
Ouch, didn't think about that. That's the 1st flaw for me, thankfully not too big of a deal since I mostly play electric.

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:34 am

Christoph wrote:
If anyone is still interested, you can assign 100 different CCs to the expression pedal on the FCB1010.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 am

It does look nice, but can't see how it can be an FCB killer without note send, but damn the footrpint is all different kinds of right.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Yeah, the footprint is nice... too bad I already have the 1010, nice option for a replacement though if my 1010 goes sour.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent