Hackintosh Experts - Need Info

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elxicano

Re: Hackintosh Experts - Need Info

Post by elxicano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Way better things to do in Seattle beyond Starbucks, the music scene is pretty great for heavy rock and indie, not so good for electronic synth / laptop based music, but not bad at all either. EVERYBODY looks like the mac guy on the gay ass Apple commercials though, no way to tell who's a macfag, and for that matter who's male, thank god for neckbeards!!
What part of Seattle do you live in?? Has it changed that much since I was there (5 or so years ago?) 8O

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Hey Nebulae, back on topic? Then Id be happy to help :D
Reccommend iPC as a distro, but the most important thing is to know your components and research each one individually to see how other people have gotten it working. The OS itself is darned easy to install, pretty much every distro uses chameleon boot-loader now from what I can tell, and it does the job nicely.

You should partition the disk as GUID, I think thats the easiest way, but windows wont boot from a GUID disk afaik. Separate drives ftw. Also, a free extention thatallows OSX to read/write to NTFS disks is available. Check out Macfuse NTFS-3G, it actually works fine.

If I can help any more, Im having a night in tonight :wink: For a change :cry:

Dan

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:13 pm

daniel_grieff wrote: Check out Macfuse NTFS-3G
Very cool... will try this one later tonight. :mrgreen:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:15 pm

elxicano wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Way better things to do in Seattle beyond Starbucks, the music scene is pretty great for heavy rock and indie, not so good for electronic synth / laptop based music, but not bad at all either. EVERYBODY looks like the mac guy on the gay ass Apple commercials though, no way to tell who's a macfag, and for that matter who's male, thank god for neckbeards!!
What part of Seattle do you live in?? Has it changed that much since I was there (5 or so years ago?) 8O
It has changed a bit in the last 5 years, but yeah, I'm exaggerating a little, go to the Funhouse, or El Corazon, and not many indie rock looking fay males, but Nuemos etc.... the hill is full of them. West Seattle BTW.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifeha ... -os-x.html

@Dan - thx for the help - yeah, I'm gonna get a second drive before I attempt this craziness :)

BBScience

Post by BBScience » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:22 am

The best distro I've found is iPC 10.5.6. It's pretty much a one stop shop for everything you'll need to get OSX installed on your machine.

Go here and find your specific computer: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... 6/Desktops

Then you'll just need to do some reading about what specific ktexts to apply in the installer. You may need to do a bit of BIOS work, but again that depends on your specific machine.

Get MacFuse if you need to read/write NTFS in OSX. Even with MacFuse its slow as shit to write NTFS in my experience. So just avoid it if at all possible.

Hope that helps.

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:13 am

I have managed to get sn0w leopard running mostly fine. Its a pretty good upgrade actually. Slightly harder to install, but still relatively easy now there's so many helpful people on the interwebs...

Tytus

Post by Tytus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 am

nebulae wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote: seems the crap you have to go through to accomplish the goal of getting OS X on a pc is antithetical to the over all mac experience of "it just works"
Have fun w/ur fake Mac though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o2BWpN4Sps
20-30 minutes to install...you're right, that sure is a whole lot of work. Can't wait for my fake mac to boot up. I bet the first window says, "Congratulations! How would you like to spend that extra $2000 you just saved?"

BTW, thx for dropping your illegal argument. It's good to cut bait when you're completely overwhelmed.

I've done a few hackintosh builds and it was never a 20-30 min install...more like 8-10 hours (w/ troubleshooting) The problem with hackintoshs is the issue of getting addon cards to work as well as full video functionality. Even with the many guides out there, many of them aren't "10 easy steps"-type guides they make it out to be. You will no doubt run into various minor issues that restrict full functionality.

Getting the OS to boot is the relatively easy part. Getting everything to work like a real mac(things like all video resolutions, sleep, shutdown, apple updates without it deleting kexts, etc.) is what's hard and time consuming.

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:56 am

iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.8) running great here. Grab the torrent and do a fresh install (30 minutes tops), if you need to swap files between Mac/PC get MacDrive. All the appropriate drivers on the DVD, just do your research and you'll be fine.

Abit IX38
4GB RAM
120gb 10,000 RPM WD Raptor
2.4 Ghz Q6600
Live 7.0.16

dokken

Post by dokken » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:45 am

Were you inspired to try this from our previous thread on PC hardware? Good luck with it. The idea that it would be illegal seems pretty stupid to me. Never even occurred to me to even think of it. I guess I just have no respect for the law.

dokken

Post by dokken » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:08 am

Machinesworking wrote:
elxicano wrote:
It has changed a bit in the last 5 years, but yeah, I'm exaggerating a little, go to the Funhouse, or El Corazon, and not many indie rock looking fay males, but Nuemos etc.... the hill is full of them. West Seattle BTW.
"Fay males" aside the hill is where it's at IMHO for shows. El Corazon seems to only ever do metal stuff. Touring electronica acts seem to either play the hill or the Nectar in Fremont.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:31 am

dokken wrote: "Fay males" aside the hill is where it's at IMHO for shows. El Corazon seems to only ever do metal stuff. Touring electronica acts seem to either play the hill or the Nectar in Fremont.
Electronica, despite most people's assumptions is not the only kind of electronic music out there. El Corazon regularly has future pop, synth pop, EBM, and industrial acts for instance. The Showbox downtown does the larger acts etc. Ventian Snares will probably be my first Nectar show, it really doesn't get more urban hipster yuppie than Fremont, which is weird considering what it used to be like. I'm just not that in to house/electro whatever you want to call club music, and ambient puts me to sleep.
The bouncers at El Corazon are assholes for the most part though, which sucks considering I also like few metal acts. :evil:

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 am

dokken wrote:Were you inspired to try this from our previous thread on PC hardware? Good luck with it. The idea that it would be illegal seems pretty stupid to me. Never even occurred to me to even think of it. I guess I just have no respect for the law.
yeah you're right, saving $1500 on a mac pro is pretty stupid.

dokken

Post by dokken » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:08 am

Machinesworking wrote:
dokken wrote: "Fay males" aside the hill is where it's at IMHO for shows. El Corazon seems to only ever do metal stuff. Touring electronica acts seem to either play the hill or the Nectar in Fremont.
Electronica, despite most people's assumptions is not the only kind of electronic music out there. El Corazon regularly has future pop, synth pop, EBM, and industrial acts for instance. The Showbox downtown does the larger acts etc. Ventian Snares will probably be my first Nectar show, it really doesn't get more urban hipster yuppie than Fremont, which is weird considering what it used to be like. I'm just not that in to house/electro whatever you want to call club music, and ambient puts me to sleep.
The bouncers at El Corazon are assholes for the most part though, which sucks considering I also like few metal acts. :evil:
I think of elcetronica as being synonymous with electronic music, so no, I don't think that. The Showbox is a great club too. Probably the only reason I would ever venture downtown for a show these days. And yes, Fremont is crawling with yuppies now ever since Adobe moved there. The Nectar still gets good acts though in spite of the yuppies and occasional boring house shows.

dokken

Post by dokken » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:12 am

MTG105 wrote:
dokken wrote:Were you inspired to try this from our previous thread on PC hardware? Good luck with it. The idea that it would be illegal seems pretty stupid to me. Never even occurred to me to even think of it. I guess I just have no respect for the law.
yeah you're right, saving $1500 on a mac pro is pretty stupid.
I'm not sure you understood my meaning. I meant that the idea that building a hackintosh would be illegal seemed stupid. I was referring to earlier posts that suggested that we shouldn't discuss this because it's supposedly illegal.