ghost / alias / linked clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
yoyek

Post by yoyek » Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 am

+100000000000000000000000000

TechLo

Post by TechLo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:10 am

I think I'm going to quit using Live until ghost clips are available, and even then I may be too pissed off to fork out for the upgrade when it should've been included all along.

mkotechno

Post by mkotechno » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:42 pm

it's a MUST feature to be a serious sequencer, edit 64 clips in every minimal change is cruel punishment

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 pm

glenc wrote:If you want to see this feature done right, look at how Cubase does it:

ALT + drag: create unique copy
ALT + SHIFT + drag: create linked copy
CTRL + R (my keybinding): unlink an existing linked copy
Yep. This is what I was gong to say.

We've been asking for this for a long time. A global setting is not needed. Just make it a key modifier like SX.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:19 pm

even though im usually in the session view, i do spend some time in arrangement, and when i do i miss this functionality alot.

+1 for me.
also meta clips while were at it, as discussed elsewhere.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:53 am

just wanna bump this one again as I'm in the process of trying to actually sequence a track in arrangement view in Live again (coming from Cubase) and some/any kind of ghost/alias clip solution is sorely missed.
Come on let's have it in Live 8 eh? :)

When I first started working with Live I thought it would be somewhat logical to have clips in session view always be the master clips and everything in arrangement would just be referencing the session view clips but I guess this would not neccesarily work for everybodys workflow. That would definitely work for me though.

e-theory

Post by e-theory » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Whilst the clip loop feature kinda does this in a limited fashion ( although as soon as you cut anything you can't keep looping on that same clip.... ), I do agree, I miss this feature from Logic - so +1 from me.
evolutionary theory - Core RnD and Technical Director at Dr.D Studios / DnB Producer / Composer
evolutionarytheory@gmail.com

http://www.evolutionary-theory.com
http://www.evolutionaryrecordings.com
now evolving.... site coming soon....

http://soundcloud.com/evolutionarytheory

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 am

I do love the clip loop function it's definitely a better solution for looping parts than using endless amounts of ghost clips, but it's exactly as you say, once you start cutting the loop you lose the "connection".

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:55 pm

I agree, this is THE single most important feature to get in Live. Buying Live 6 and installing it I was VERY surprised to not find this feature, as I regard it one of THE most fundamental features in a sequencer / song arranger.

I simply can't use Live for any serious composition work, without this feature. So for me Live is just a toy program at the moment, which is great for being creative and trying out new ideas. But song arrangement, no way.

Even FruityLoops can do this, speaking of toy programs...... ;)

Why ghost clips was not in Live 6 to begin with, and why it hasn't been fixed in Live 7 or 8, is just beyond me... Is it on the roadmap even? anyone?

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:44 pm

mortenperriard wrote: I simply can't use Live for any serious composition work, without this feature.
I'm glad a lot of us can, though.

Azteka

Post by Azteka » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Most has been mentioned in this topic already.

I want this feature too.

wF

Post by wF » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:06 pm

i neither understand why is this feature missing.
linking clips in the arrangement view, and between the session and arrangement views would make modifications a lot easier

imo, this is the only feature what is missing from the software

otnooishphoo

Re: ghost / alias / linked clips

Post by otnooishphoo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm

jmp909 wrote:Ghost clips are a must!
interesting, this would work well in arrangement view.
not so much in session view imho.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:18 pm

yeah it's mostly very useful for arrangement purposes.

wF

Re: ghost / alias / linked clips

Post by wF » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am

Maybe if we figure out the exact functionality, it will be easier to implement it.

So here's what i'm thinking:
You create a clip in the session view, and when you just drag it to the arrangement, it simply copies the clip (as it is working now), but when you use ctrl+drag it creates a linked clip (the + sign is already there on the mouse cursor when you press ctrl, but i didn't notice any difference, it simply copies with or without ctrl). The same applies when you copy from the arrangement to the session view - normal drag: copy, modifier+drag: linked copy. You could also create linked copies within the arrangement. In the arrangement view, you have the option to detach the linked clip from it's buddies, and now every change you make only applies for that clip.
And a less important addition could be, when you press play, and the clip that is beeing played on a channel is linked to one of the session view's clips, the little play icon at the clip becomes active, indicating that clip is being played.

Discuss!