Fifth Beta of upcoming bugfix update: Live 8.1.2b5!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: Fifth Beta of upcoming bugfix update: Live 8.1.2b5!

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:19 am

So as a general rule, should we be deleting the preferences upon using new versions of Live betas?

two_masks

Post by two_masks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 am

8.1.2b5 is a huge step backward for me compared to b4- frequent crashes, including when attempting to recover my work from the undo history. I was starting to tentatively feel good about Ableton again after b4, but this puts me right back in the "very disappointed" camp.

Guess I'll just keep sending in those bug reports and hoping for the best...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 pm

This beta has been less stable for me as well. I'm seeing more frequent crashes. Oh well, keep sending those packs...
Professional Shark Jumper.

drako

Post by drako » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 pm

When Copying a midi channel (containing a racked simpler with 3th party eq), ableton crashes.
Result = error refering to rewire(i don't even use rewire) prefs.cfg corrupt again, and no chance of recover the song when rebooting ableton.
+ No bug report showing up.

I post this here because i can't send a bug report.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 pm

drako wrote:When Copying a midi channel (containing a racked simpler with 3th party eq), ableton crashes.
Hi drako,

Which third-party EQ was this?

Thanks,

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 pm

I POSTED THIS HERE TOO because this thread seems to get more attention than the other thread where I originally posted it. So sorry for the double post, but I would like some feedback.

I have never really had major problems with using Live until this 8.1.5 beta.

Today I noticed that editing the piano roll in my drumRack was super slow, and had would mysteriously delete and move things when trying to make beats. Moving velocities, alt dragging, and every basic technic in the piano roll was extremely sluggish.

Tonight even stranger, 3 sends and a few other parameters suddenly acted as if the were inactive from being controlled with a live.remote~ from M4L. They were grayed out and not functioning. The thing is I had no M4L devices in my set using liv.remote~. So I decided to delete all of the M4L devices in my set, and restart my computer. After re-opening the set, the same parameters were still grayed out. I tried making a new track identical to the one suffering from grayed outness. After making the identical track I deleted the old on and BAM the same sends in the newly created track became grayed out. So after that I decided to delete the drumRack I was using, and then drag it back into the track. When trying to drag it back in, it did not put it in the track but it did move it to a different folder in my browser???

Lastly, with my latency samples set to 215 and my CPU meter showing about 14% to 20%, live still crackles and pops as if my latency is set too low or my CPU is struggling. This is happening on a set I have stripped down a whole lot to be low on CPU and have used it in earlier versions with none of these problems, usually with sample settings at 127 or even 98 with no crackling.

AND, after I create a set using 8.1.5b, save it, if I try to open it by double clicking on the Live Set within the project folder, Live 8.1.4b tries to open up and says the beta has expired. However, I deleted 8.1.4b and the preferences off my computer???

After toying with the idea of not using Ableton at all and just building a new rig using strictly Native Instruments stuff, I think I am going to do a clean install and go back to using 8.1.1 again. This is just ridiculous. I really hope the guys at Ableton sort this buggyness out SOON. If this latest beta is a sign of where newer version are headed, I will not be updating until I see satisfied users posting about it's stability. If I cant get satisfactory results using 8.1.1 I may consider ditching M4L and going back to an earlier version of Live pre M4L, or even ditching Live all together for a completely NI set up.

When I tried sending in my Live Packs crash stuff tonight, I got a message after trying to attach the files saying they were un-attachable because they has a virus.

NEVER seen anything like that? EVER.

drako

Post by drako » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
drako wrote:When Copying a midi channel (containing a racked simpler with 3th party eq), ableton crashes.
Hi drako,

Which third-party EQ was this?

Thanks,
You got a pm, with some more issues.

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I wasd getting sound glitches on my sets after about 45 mins with 8.1.1, none so far with this 8)
Lion 10.7.2
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz
Ableton live 8.26
Logic pro 9.15

My Website

drako

Post by drako » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 am

Sometimes with editing macro mappings, the gui of the rack gets ehm...weird

A1992

Post by A1992 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:27 am

When will this be released? For me it crashes less than 8.1.1.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 pm

So after a full day of doing a clean install on my MacBookPro with the latest version of Snow Leopard, then re-installing Ableton 8.1.5b, M4L, Komplete, Bomes, etc,

I think Live is running better. :|

It still makes me nervous after months of instability especially since 8.1.5b. But today I completely rebuilt a live set I use for playing with my band which has some NI plugs, M4L devices and a lot of other Ableton gadgets. In the process I changed a lot of devices, moved a lot of tracks, rebuilt some M4L stuff, and Mashed it up for a while.

Live didn't crash once :o .

Hopefully it will stay that way. Such a pain in the ass just to get a few hours of a "stability"

ark

Post by ark » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Hm. Random crashes, culminating in being unable to do stuff because of virus complaints. Rebuild everything, and now it works.

Could it be that your machine did indeed have a virus and after reinstalling everything it's no longer there?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 am

Maybe but after shutting down my computer and restarting my set, pushing MIDI MAP crashed live.

I really don't think I had a virus. I think the beta Crash Packs were so messed up my email freaked out and called them a virus. I believe there are a few others posting here saying they could not send in their live packs with 8.1.5b. This may have been due to size or maybe this beta is just shit.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:24 am

Every time live has crashed this week I have done either a set of pull-ups, pushups, used the ab-wheel or gone for a run. I may well end up with my first 6 pack ever! Thanks Live!!! (not even kidding...)

Oh, and I have also punched more inanimate objects (mainly my Ikea Jerker) than I have since I was a rebellious teenager.

This beta's got pizazz!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Live 8.1.2b4 and Live 8.1.2b5 are the buggiest version of 8 I've had that includes the pre-release beta! Won't open a set I made (and can't open with 8.1.1 next because it's made with a newer version) Just quit the program and got a C runtime error. Windows XP SP2