Third beta of upcoming bugfix update: Live 8.1.2b3!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bynoe

Re: Third beta of upcoming bugfix update: Live 8.1.2b3!

Post by bynoe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Is anyone else finding that if you leave live on for too long i.e overnight, it slows down your whole machine. I'm running on a macbook. Is this a memory leak? Never used to happen.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

bynoe wrote:Is anyone else finding that if you leave live on for too long i.e overnight, it slows down your whole machine. I'm running on a macbook. Is this a memory leak? Never used to happen.
That really is not a sensible thing to do now is it?
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

bynoe

Post by bynoe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Just like your coment isn't very helpful. Don't reply if you don't have anything useful to say. I have other daws that don't do this.

henke

Post by henke » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:41 pm

crofter wrote:
bynoe wrote:Is anyone else finding that if you leave live on for too long i.e overnight, it slows down your whole machine. I'm running on a macbook. Is this a memory leak? Never used to happen.
That really is not a sensible thing to do now is it?
Actually it is. Imagine using Live for a sound installation. You might want to run it for several years in some cases.

@ bynoe: if you have a tool on your computer that shows memory usage you could check for yourself if there is a memory leak. If so, contact support@ableton.com and we'll look into it. We do not like memory leaks!

Cheers, Robert

dooZ

Post by dooZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:09 pm

On this note: has any one had issues with latency increasing after using live for over an hour:

specifically when using two instances of Ms. Pinky. during the start of my session latency is almost nil, but increases to atleast few hundred miliseconds. will this memory test be a good way of verifying the problem? any other suggestions on how to find the issue?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 am

Check your CPU temperature if you can, could be that your machine needs a good clean out. Overheating is a common cause of deteriorating performance on laptops.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 pm

crofter wrote:That really is not a sensible thing to do now is it?
Very sensible :). As Mr. Henke there pointed out, Live (being a live audio tool) needs to be usable for a lot longer sessions than just overnight.

Using it nonstop years on end might be rare, but given the nature of the application, it should be able to handle it. Personally, my longest stretch to date has still been an installation / live action production that lasted for a modest two days. Still, during those 48 hours it was absolutely imperative that the Live session was running (and potentially being controlled) at all times.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

This Beta is much less stable for me than 8.1.1.

I had to Force Quit after only 30 minutes of use due to a "not enough memory" message. 8.1.1 would at least let me play for a couple of hours before failing.
Life is Good