Multiple MIDI tracks in one note editor?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
abletony84

Multiple MIDI tracks in one note editor?

Post by abletony84 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:31 pm

hi!

is it possible to edit multiple MIDI tracks simultaneously, like the notes from all tracks superimposed onto the note editor? Say you want to compose a drum pattern, and each drum type requires its own track because of return tracks etc., yet you'd like to have them all in one place to see the bigger picture..

usually now i put all my drum sounds into one track, construct it there and then split it up into multiple tracks.. tho it's kind of a hassle putting them back together if i wanna change things..

thanks

geo

Re: Multiple MIDI tracks in one note editor?

Post by geo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Use drum racks, they have their own return tracks, too.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Last edited by abletony84 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo

Post by geo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:26 pm

To send you drum rack chains to your live returns:
Create as many return effects that you want.
Show the chain List(Little icon on the lift of the drum rack). Show the Return chain(R symbol, bottom left of the drum rack). Right click, Create Return Chain. Hit the I-0 button near the bottom left of rack. Right side of newly Return Chain where it says "Rack Output", choose the return track that you want. Show you rack sends(S letter under the I-O button at the left of your drum rack, letter should turn green). Increase the Send-a level of any chain you want to be affected by the return. You can add additional return chains in the drum rack Return Chain List to send your chains to other return.

To have internal returns in a drum rack:
Show the chain List(Little icon on the lift of the drum rack). Show the Return chain(R symbol, bottom left of the drum rack). Drag an effect to the area of the drum rack where it says "Drop Audio Effects Here". Hit the I-0 button near the bottom left of rack(so it turn green). Show you rack sends(S letter under the I-O button at the left of your drum rack, letter should turn green). Increase the Send-a level of any chain you want to be affected by the return you just added.

geo

Post by geo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:29 pm

abletony84 wrote: so basically i just tell the drum rack to utilize my external return tracks? is this how it's done?

i dont quite follow the way the sends now work now that they're in dB instead of.. those circles.. 0.0 dB means 100%? and why do the send chains have sends on them in session view too?

thanks..
Yeah, that's how you utilize your returns. Also, you can utilize drum rack returns, as I showed you in previous post.