Alt-dragging clips up/down to change their volume

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ChristianB

Alt-dragging clips up/down to change their volume

Post by ChristianB » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Just like notes in the sequencer when you hold Alt (pc) to change velocity, it would be nice on clips. For midi clips velocity on all notes, and for audio clips to change the clip volume.

Especially in the arranger I miss a way to tweak volume in clips directly. I know Alt is used for bypassing snapping but it wouldn't have to be a problem if it did the volume thing only over the clip name part and not the waveform.

Alternative you could be able to lower the fade line but I think it would make less sense.
/Christian

ChristianB

Re: Alt-dragging clips up/down to change their volume

Post by ChristianB » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Am I really the only one? :?
/Christian

dvate

Post by dvate » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:21 pm

I think this is good idea. It would definitely speed things up to stay in one section of the arrange view, instead of clicking the audio and then mousing down to bottom of screen to make a volume change. This would really help on Post projects or any project that has many audio files that need to be mixed. For my work flow, it's nice to be able to do some preliminary mixing as your placing the audio files on the timeline. Personally, attenuating the volume of an audio file right on the file itself, is one of my favorite attributes of Ableton Live.

On a side note, I would love to see a quick key to hide the red automation lines in the arrange view. Kinda annoying to always have to hide individual track automation one at a time. So slow.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:49 am

Hi,

Just a note about this wish: ALT is already used, at least in Arranger, as every other modifier.

I originally wanted to answer to this:
dvate wrote:On a side note, I would love to see a quick key to hide the red automation lines in the arrange view. Kinda annoying to always have to hide individual track automation one at a time. So slow.
In Live 8, you at least can select all tracks, and set the routing to "none" in one of them, that sets it for all.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Just a note about this wish: ALT is already used, at least in Arranger, as every other modifier.

I originally wanted to answer to this:
dvate wrote:On a side note, I would love to see a quick key to hide the red automation lines in the arrange view. Kinda annoying to always have to hide individual track automation one at a time. So slow.
In Live 8, you at least can select all tracks, and set the routing to "none" in one of them, that sets it for all.

Regards,
Amaury
Well, why not combining several modifiers ? Something like [ALT+CTRL] or [ALT+SHIFT]... etc (pc) & [CMD+ALT], [CMD+CTRL], [CMD+ALT+CTRL]... etc (mac). Just some thoughts.

Good move for global routing setting apply for all selected tracks :) BUT, once you click on some track's or plug-in's parameters here are dreaded red lines back again... so, when you aren't in live situations (@home, studio...) if there was the option to disable temporary this automatic behaviour (via contextual menu...) it could save a lot of clicking as well.

Btw, does "new setting apply for selected tracks" allow freezing several tracks at once ?

Thanx.
B

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am

Hi,

Indeed you can freeze several tracks at once. You can also set the flag "show automated parameters only" in the Arranger automation chooser, so that if you set them to none, no parameter that is not already automated will appear, even if you click it.

Both these are already in Live 7 by the way. :wink:

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

dvate

Post by dvate » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanx for the tidbit about the "show automated parameters only," Yet this function still is a bit of a hassle to set up. For every track that you need to hide the automation line, you have to select "none," then select "show automation," and then select "show automated parameters only?" Is there a faster way? Also, if you are needing to hide and unhide all the time, this could get really frustrating. It's a great feature to be able to click on a knob or any automation parameter and have it list what is selected in the automation window on the track. I love this feature! But having to hide and unhide the tracks this way takes too long. Could we add this function to the "QWERTY KEY" list so it will show up as something to select if we choose to add it as a quick key?

ChristianB

Post by ChristianB » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Regards,
Amaury
Thanks for the reply, yeah I know it bypasses snapping, it wouldn't be a problem if you separated fields as I mentioned, for example clicking on the waveform. Or as beubbo said it can use a key combination.
/Christian