OPEN LETTER TO ABLETON

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ernene

Post by ernene » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 am

if they don't upgrade Live once a year, they could develope more features and give us a better product... but the truth is that due that we are talking of tecnology, computers and so on... it's a constantly growing and changing world!!! so once they took lets say 3 years to develope a great program bundled with miriad of features, usefull or not.. when that product will see the light the world will be already changed, tecnology, people, so computers, plug, needs, forkflow, and so on, will be different and in need of something else, always... something new... it's a never ending story!!!!!! so I DO prefer Ableton to give me some new juice to drink everyear, but keeping the soul intact, as they do with Live...

am I wrong? who cares...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 am

substance_g wrote:the finest opera yet written, sire
bravo!
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:45 am

ok, let's constructively re-focus here (haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!)

but seriously....

if you want top notch software, as good as the others, then you have to pay the people who make it to keep working on it. Call it an 'upgrade', a 'new version' or just a 'fee' to keep your DAW up to date and rocking, but basically you are paying a regular sum to keep Ableton in business (and expanding - which is, let's face it, ok) and in return they give you some new stuff as a sweetener. And for me that's fine.

It's a capitalist software vending model and it works. There are bigger issues to get heated about in the world.

If you want Ableton/NI/Arturia etc to go out of business or produce clunky software (more clunky in NI's case, sorry couldn't resist), don't upgrade or buy new products and use cracks.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:54 am

gjm wrote:pasha wrote:
I'm talking about the business model here.
I wouldn't be crying too much, not that pasha was. I have been using Yacht design and 3D CAD programs for the last several years. Upgrades every 12-18 months are very common, with a much bigger price than upgrading versions of Live. In fact one of the software companies makes you pay a subscription fee (1/3 of the original price of the software) every year to obtain small upgrades and 'favourable' back up service. These are things I CHOOSE to do to do what I gotta do...woooo! Somebody put a beat to that! snikker snikker.
I got your point gjm. I remember when upon Live Studio announcement many declared Ableton Live almost dead because for 500$ you got a lot with Logic.... So I was speculating about Ableton Business Model, and its constraints.
I think that until Ableton adjusts the price only according to cost of living they will remain in business. Ableton has reached an individuality in the music space that is unique. They have created a big loyal community which I'm proud to be part of and this made their business sustainable. I work for a software company and we charge 22% of the product price so you have rights to upgrade and rights to call support. Ableton gives this for free! So I will never complain for a little higher price for every upgrade.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 am

ernene wrote:if they don't upgrade Live once a year, they could develope more features and give us a better product... but the truth is that due that we are talking of tecnology, computers and so on... it's a constantly growing and changing world!!! so once they took lets say 3 years to develope a great program bundled with miriad of features, usefull or not.. when that product will see the light the world will be already changed, tecnology, people, so computers, plug, needs, forkflow, and so on, will be different and in need of something else, always... something new... it's a never ending story!!!!!! so I DO prefer Ableton to give me some new juice to drink everyear, but keeping the soul intact, as they do with Live...

am I wrong? who cares...
I do and I agree with you! :)
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

ernene

Post by ernene » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 am

:oops: :wink:

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:44 pm

How about we all start complaining that car companies come out with a new version EVERY SINGLE GODDAMNED YEAR. I bought my 2006 Porsche Turbo, then those assholes went and made a 2007 MODEL! Mother fuckers!!! I WANT ALL THE UPGRADES FREE!!!! GREEDY FUCKING DOUCHE BAGS!!!!
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm

uh.. get real

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm

why is it that people get so grandiose about this kind of thing, especially in the software world I've seen. I mean if I see pepsi put out a new kind of pepsi called "pepsi dream" or some crap like that you don't see me going to the pepsi forum and giving them a long winded speach about how they've lost touch with their customers

I sell stuff for a living too, a small business of mine. I've had people yell at me about everything from the salt content of my seasonings to the sugar content of my mustards. yes people actually yell at you about this kind of thing. and you know what? I don't give a flying f* what they think cause I'm still making my buck. and ableton is still making their buck too.

and I feel dirty for even taking part in this thread.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:51 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:this thread should be moved to

'go eat a bag of shit'
Damn, check out the bulges!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:04 pm

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:16 pm

^ yeah, they look hot shit and all, but when VH1 isn't hunting down Foreigner for a "Where Are They Now, the tripple sequel to One-Hit-Per-Decade Wonders" special, they sorta look like these middle-aged tards:

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:48 pm

in fact I would say live 6 is not obsolete enough to my taste...

evon

Post by evon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:55 pm

God damn Foreigner
Foreignerds[/quote]
fe real!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:15 pm

what's the chance we all got trolled on by foreigner4?? seems like just the thing a particular poster was whoring about last week.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz