Those glitchy beats

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:54 am

> get drunk or stoned or whatever you do and play with those effects

where is this VST available?

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 am

aphex and plaid (old school warp folk) are more about smart programming and rolls than lots of DSP power... whereas newer squarepusher, flashbulb, wisp, vytear, eight frozen modules type stuffs utilize the DSP moreso... building on the programming mentality of the warp kids.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 am

use reaktor, its got hundreds of different (yet all similar sounding) glitch machines.
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

Lewby

Post by Lewby » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:57 pm

I like to load up one or more impulse machines with drum hits and rolls then program basic patterns then use the random midi effect to trigger different drum sounds. Add in some delays, EQs, and of course the legendary Beat Repeat and it all sounds very intricately programmed.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:42 pm

SubQ wrote:Glitch, and Livecut are both fine plugins for breaking your beat
Agreed!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Beat repeat racks can do some serious damage too though :wink:

It's not the same as the plugins you guys currently use. But thats the whole point!
Although the same "trick" applies for making racks with Livecut or glitch...

You'll see some grand designs in the future when it comes to audio effects.
And especially in MIDI effects so that you can do some MIDI glitch effects too.

Create - Produce - Destroy 8)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:00 pm

subbasshead wrote: i prefer sampling the output of glitchy plugins
& choosing which glitches crank my dial....
Totally! I've been caught out by rolling off a quick ruffmix of a track with some beat repeat playing free - I get totally used to the generated patterns and assimilate them as "the arrangement". Then when I go to revisit the track, it never works quite the same.

Now I'm printing off my beat repeats (or anything that modulates randomly - filters/flangers etc) as soon as I can in the process to get stuff locked to work with.

An electronic musician making decisions? It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :lol:

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
An electronic musician making decisions? It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :lol:
word.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Pitch Black wrote:An electronic musician making decisions? It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. :lol:
John Cage might tell you to just let those random processes run free, lest you seek to subjugate them to serve your own ego-bound interests!! 8O
....just been thinking lately about what Mr Cage might think about all this music we produce...in some senses it's the most lifeless, determinate music ever, considering that we are able to make explicit every sine wave in the music, whereas at least Beethoven had the indeterminancy of his music being performed by other humans. On the other hand we have the capacity to produce fully auto-generative sounds, and algorhythmic creations that are mostly indeterminate. And then there's the phenomenon whereby most electronic music is much friendlier to natural ambient sound than, say, a distorted rock band (you can actually have a conversation over loud electronic music, whereas it's impossible over loud rock music...)

Totally [OT] for this thread, but hey...when inspiration strikes!!

wontwa

livecut/supatrigga question

Post by wontwa » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:55 am

i know this isn't the "help" forum, but since the topic is being discussed - i open a vst and assign it to a midi track, sounds great/no problems. if i put either livecut or supatrigga after it (by doubleclicking in the left hand plug in column), no audio output. if remove either of those and put in izotope trash or whatever, works great.

i'm on a macbook pro, ableton 5.2, and using the UBs of both of those programs - any advice to what i'm doing wrong?

forge

Re: livecut/supatrigga question

Post by forge » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:35 am

wontwa wrote:i know this isn't the "help" forum, but since the topic is being discussed - i open a vst and assign it to a midi track, sounds great/no problems. if i put either livecut or supatrigga after it (by doubleclicking in the left hand plug in column), no audio output. if remove either of those and put in izotope trash or whatever, works great.

i'm on a macbook pro, ableton 5.2, and using the UBs of both of those programs - any advice to what i'm doing wrong?
use it on a send instead, but use this utility trick:

http://www.teragon.org/wiki/index.php?t ... lity_trick

wontwa

Post by wontwa » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:08 pm

Thanks!

Machinate

Re: livecut/supatrigga question

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:16 pm

wontwa wrote:i know this isn't the "help" forum, but since the topic is being discussed - i open a vst and assign it to a midi track, sounds great/no problems. if i put either livecut or supatrigga after it (by doubleclicking in the left hand plug in column), no audio output. if remove either of those and put in izotope trash or whatever, works great.

isnt' the problem that you have to hit play for those plugs to work?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:41 pm

djadonis206 wrote:No disrespect Hat but every time I see your handle I keep saying MR. HAT over and over and over again in my head

It's a shame I can't convey the way Mr. Garrison says it on SP but you know - MR. hat

"Can't wait for leave so I can get me some of that fuckin poontaaaaang!"

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:50 pm

ethios, these issues fascinate me, in part because it's become so much easier to do now what people like cage were trying to do back in the day. and, having written "real" music and relied on a computer to autogenerate complexity, i can't say that i find the autogenerated stuff any less magical (instead, i'm more often delited by what the machine does with a pattern or arpegio). and i don't really think it's cheating any more than is my use of a "walking jazz bass" heuristic to figure out what to play for a given trad jazz standard. put another way, even if a human drummer sits down at the kit and thinks -- which of the roughly 4 patterns of drums for pop music should i start with on this song, given the song's tempo, feel, etc.