Splitting multiple tracks in arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonel

Splitting multiple tracks in arrangement view

Post by jonel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi All,
I feel sure that I used to be able to split all the tracks in my project by selecting them. I've either forgotten how to do it or Ableton 10 does support it or perhaps I really just imagined to. Any help please?

Jonel

pottering

Re: Splitting multiple tracks in arrangement view

Post by pottering » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Where you click in a Clip matters, clicking the top half selects Clips, clicking the bottom half selects time, if you click and drag in the top half of a Clip it will select the Clip and drag it, but if you click and drag in the bottom half then it will select time (including over multiple tracks). Then you can split with "ctrl+E".
♥♥♥

jonel

Post by jonel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Thank you very much. I remember now. I still find it a bit tricky though.

IsaacLaughter

Post by IsaacLaughter » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:08 pm

OK, but what if you want to split ALL tracks in the same exact spot on the timeline? How do you do that WITHOUT manually clicking down on every single track?

filtersweep

Post by filtersweep » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm

there is a way to do this
Hold down Ctrl + E and whilst still holding those keys drag cursor downwards. It will then split all the clips not just one track.
I'm not on my machine but I think that is correct

thisishowiroll

Post by thisishowiroll » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 pm

I found the above way makes for multiple small cuts around the where you want to cut, as the cursor is super sensitive.

Here's an alternative...

In the same way you would hold and drag your cursor to select multiple clips, hold and drag the cursor down all the clips on the line you want to cut. Let the cursor go (you should have a blinking line on all the clips), and THEN hit command + E.

dannyvocal

Post by dannyvocal » Sat May 11, 2024 5:30 pm

Thanks for explaining this; never knew how to split many at once but just tried it successfully. You'll find if you have many tracks (I have 24 in the song I am now mixing), you'll need to make them all quite small. Lassoo all tracks starting at the top right then going down to lassoo all track, then move your lassoo to the left to the bar where you want to cut all tracks (you'll see the numbers change in the Arrangement Position window as you go down to the precise bar; that's how you know you've reached it). Then let go of your mouse and hit Ctrl-E which is the command for Split and hey presto, all tracks split on the same bar. This is useful when for some reason your song doesn't start until, say, the 20th bar or some other large number, it would then make sense to split them all by a large amount so that you can slide all tracks down to a smaller bar, say 0, 2 or 4, so that when playing back your song over and over during recording or mixing you don't have to wait so long until it starts