Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttilberg

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 pm

exper wrote:So yes, you are forced to pay for the m4l addition whether you want it or not.

No dude, $159. Live 9 Standard. I think that's certainly a fair price considering the new features and improvements that have been added. If you like the instruments you've got, don't spring for Suite. Then you aren't paying for M4L, or any of the other Suite options.

That said, if you're trying to say "But I want Suite, so now I'm forced to get M4L Too!" -- perhaps you should ask yourself why you are actually wanting Suite? If it's just for a few of the instruments, buy them as standalones -- however once you've bought 3 instruments, you've already justified the cost for Suite -- including getting SO many extras, like M4L, and a TON of sample content.

It really comes down to what instruments you feel like using to justify the Suite upgrade price -- the rest is just bonus. If you can't find enough instruments or content (EIC for example) to match the suite price, just buy it ala carte.

Honestly, I think Ableton have a very solid pricing strategy, and really don't force anyone to pay for anything.

All of that said, I totally understand where you're coming from with watching the price go up on the 8 to Suite 8 upgrade. But the fact is, you are receiving so much more than just the old Suite 8. It bites, but it was a mistake on their part and people should accept this, and take pride in the development Ableton does. It really is as simple as asking yourself "Okay, this is how much they want for it -right now- is this worth it to me at this price?"

I'm sorry, I just really cannot imagine trying to defend the idea that the content that you gain from the current Live 8 standard to Live 9 Suite is not worth $400.

I think people are quickly judging the price without consideration of the value.

Edit: Also (sorry), you are quoting Live 9 Boxed pricing at $469-- but the box version doesn't provide anything other than stickers, a manual, and an easier time on your internet connection. I don't think it's fair to use the $469 price as the base line "Suite 9 price" as it doesn't really add anything that you are actually buying Live for (unless you like really expensive stickers. :) ) Previously Suite 8 Boxed included more content than Suite 8 download (licenses for some extra sound packs). That is no longer the case, thus I find it an unfair comparison.

2nd edit: Apparently I dig the word dude this morning.
Last edited by ttilberg on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

freqn

Post by freqn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:24 pm

REMOVED
Last edited by freqn on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

login

Post by login » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

If I buy a Live 8 Suite Boxed from a store right now, do I get a free upgrade to live 9 suite?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm

radialson wrote:Besides my regular account on which I have Live 8 standard, I have another account from a few years ago without any products registered to a different email address.

Why would it be cheaper for a non customer to buy the suite than a registered user who doesn't own the products? The system still seems broken. Am I missing something in my analysis?

Yes:

Although I notice their Live Intro Download prices are both 74 EU and USD. I'm thinking that's a bug, because the boxed version prices scale correctly. Then again, perhaps not, as it's still less expensive than boxed EU.
Last edited by ttilberg on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

freqn

Post by freqn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Yes:

Image[/quote]

LOL - Monday...Thanks!

exper

Post by exper » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

ttilberg wrote:
Edit: Also (sorry), you are quoting Live 9 Boxed pricing at $469-- but the box version doesn't provide anything other than stickers, a manual, and an easier time on your internet connection. I don't think it's fair to use the $469 price as the base line "Suite 9 price" as it doesn't really add anything that you are actually buying Live for (unless you like really expensive stickers. :) ) Previously Suite 8 Boxed included more content than Suite 8 download (licenses for some extra sound packs). That is no longer the case, thus I find it an unfair comparison.

2nd edit: Apparently I dig the word dude this morning.

Live 8 Suite boxed is the only price I can find elswhere online besides the ableton site. But it is accurate. Suite 8 in stores, as a boxed upgrade from regular 8 is $309. Now it's $469. That's a fact.

So, what I want to know is, if I buy the boxed suite 8 update from say sweetwater or guitar center at $309, will I get the Suite 9 upgrade free when its out. This is how it happened in the past. I first bought Live 3 or 4 (I forget where I started) in a store when the new version was coming out. I was given the free update to the next version because I bought the old one while it was announced. Is this the case now? Because I'll head over to Guitar Center right now!

I don't need the boxed version, but it'll be cheaper there than on the Ableton website!

infuzion

Post by infuzion » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

ttilberg wrote:No dude, $159. Live 9 Standard. I think that's certainly a fair price considering the new features and improvements that have been added.
IIRC, my upgrade to Live7 was $99USD, Live8 was $129/139. Further proof to back up exper's post above.
I've noticed the same "sales" at grocery markets the past year; apples once were on sale to $1/pound almost every other week, then were priced on "sale" at $1.30/pound, with typical price at $1.69.

If you have had Live for a decent length of time, you are likely to own many VSTs. Some of both payed & free VSTs mimic Live9's upgraded built-in plugins. Negates the need to upgrade for the most part IMHO.

The new sample & VST browser is a great addition, but strictly upgrading to Live9 Standard is not worth it if you have the VST you need IMHO. To make Live worth it they needed to add floating windows to help we DJs & those using 2+ monitors. VSTs windows float you say? Further negates the need for built-in effects.

Upgrading from standard to Suite is a better value, esp if you don't have M4L like me.
Say hi at my MySpace space

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm

exper wrote:I was given the free update to the next version because I bought the old one while it was announced. Is this the case now? Because I'll head over to Guitar Center right now!
I'm sorry I can't quote it directly, but I thought I remembered someone claiming they received an email from Ableton Support saying that their account would receive the ability to download Suite 9 when that time comes.

I think it actually works like this: When you activate the upgrade or purchase on your account at this time, your account will be flagged for Live 9. Otherwise they'd have to do a bunch of physical packaging, and manage an entire physical coupon campaign which seems silly.

That said, obviously I don't work for Ableton so I am not 100%! Or even 75%! Being that there are 10000 threads about Live 9 and pricing right now, I don't think it will be possible to search for that comment to confirm.
Last edited by ttilberg on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

infuzion

Post by infuzion » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

dazzer wrote:"They made a mistake on pricing. I'm switching DAWs"
Yep, sounds dumb doesn't it?
Not really; you have infinite free upgrades for Fruity Studio (which now have a new phrase-triggering window like Live) & Reaper has very reasonable upgrade prices, & you tend to get more for the price.

edit: Hehehe 3dot... I was typing my post a the same time as you ;)

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

infuzion wrote:
ttilberg wrote:No dude, $159. Live 9 Standard. I think that's certainly a fair price considering the new features and improvements that have been added.
IIRC, my upgrade to Live7 was $99USD, Live8 was $129/139. Further proof to back up exper's post above.
I've noticed the same "sales" at grocery markets the past year; apples once were on sale to $1/pound almost every other week, then were priced on "sale" at $1.30/pound, with typical price at $1.69.

If you have had Live for a decent length of time, you are likely to own many VSTs. Some of both payed & free VSTs mimic Live9's upgraded built-in plugins. Negates the need to upgrade for the most part IMHO.

The new sample & VST browser is a great addition, but strictly upgrading to Live9 Standard is not worth it if you have the VST you need IMHO. To make Live worth it they needed to add floating windows to help we DJs & those using 2+ monitors. VSTs windows float you say? Further negates the need for built-in effects.

Upgrading from standard to Suite is a better value, esp if you don't have M4L like me.
Yeah, upgrading from standard to suite is definitely the better value -- it comes with a TON.

But, you say:
"If you have had Live for a decent length of time, you are likely to own many VSTs. Some of both payed & free VSTs mimic Live9's upgraded built-in plugins. Negates the need to upgrade for the most part IMHO."
The difference between 8 and 9 have nothing to do with instruments or plugins -- nothing has been added, it's all been workflow features (some of which have been the main request since I started using Live with 6).

So, with that, if you already have proper VSTs and whatnot, then just upgrade to Standard 9. Its $159. I think that's a fair price. Was there really a lot of groundbreaking new amazing content (when you exclude instruments) from 6 > 7 > 8? I feel like the feature additions from 8>9 are bigger than 6>8.

Of course, finally,
"To make Live worth it they needed to add floating windows to help we DJs & those using 2+ monitors. VSTs windows float you say? Further negates the need for built-in effects."
You of course are entitled to your opinion, as everyone uses Live differently, but I think many will find the enhanced features and workflow that ARE included in Live 9 definitely worth $159. I'm sorry it's not the feature set you wanted specifically, but it addresses some features a majority of users have been begging for. And does some cool new stuff too.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

There is some seriously embarrassing entitlement-whining bullshit from a lot of users here

Prices were announced in error (I'll give Ableton good faith on that), and have since been corrected to reflect the accurate upgrade prices.

If the price is too high for what you perceive the value of the upgrade to be, then don't upgrade.

If you have lost confidence in your choice of DAW/the company that makes it, then feel free to jump ship for any of the myriad other DAWs out there

If you have a workflow that you cannot do with another DAW, then continue using your existing license for Live 8 with no ill effects.

Or continue to bitch about not getting your money's worth and blahblahblah like whiny children complaining that the other kid's piece of cake looks bigger than yours

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:15 pm

exper wrote:But that's just it. The pricing has gone up significantly. See my previous post. Before this week, Standard 8 to Suite 8 Boxed was $309. Now its $469.
The pricing hasn't gone up, there was an error which has now been corrected.

The current pricing is in line with previous versions of Live.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

agent314 wrote:There is some seriously embarrassing entitlement-whining bullshit from a lot of users here

Prices were announced in error (I'll give Ableton good faith on that), and have since been corrected to reflect the accurate upgrade prices.

If the price is too high for what you perceive the value of the upgrade to be, then don't upgrade.

If you have lost confidence in your choice of DAW/the company that makes it, then feel free to jump ship for any of the myriad other DAWs out there

If you have a workflow that you cannot do with another DAW, then continue using your existing license for Live 8 with no ill effects.
Yes, I agree. Just spend your money with an audio SW company that does not play tricks and do mistakes with pricing, deal with a company that provides good customer service. No need to get a headaches, you are the customer after all.
Last edited by kent_sandvik on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infuzion

Post by infuzion » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

ttilberg wrote:...So, with that, if you already have proper VSTs and whatnot, then just upgrade to Standard 9. Its $159. I think that's a fair price. Was there really a lot of groundbreaking new amazing content (when you exclude instruments) from 6 > 7 > 8? I feel like the feature additions from 8>9 are bigger than 6>8.
"To make Live worth it they needed to add floating windows to help we DJs & those using 2+ monitors. VSTs windows float you say? Further negates the need for built-in effects."
You of course are entitled to your opinion, as everyone uses Live differently, but I think many will find the enhanced features and workflow that ARE included in Live 9 definitely worth $159. I'm sorry it's not the feature set you wanted specifically, but it addresses some features a majority of users have been begging for. And does some cool new stuff too.
Good points!
I didn't think the upgrades to 6 or 8 were worth it IMHO; that is why I skipped those upgrades. If I wasn't already good with SynthMaker I might have bought Live8 just to get at M4L, but otherwise I was like /yawn.

Then again, I also own 2 other DAWs, so my life does not revolve around Live. If someone only owned Live & nothing else, then each upgrade is a good idea.