WE WANT LINUX SUPPORT!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm

darkcatt wrote:Does any one have an actual POC we can go after to make this happen?

Talking in a forum is great but if we formally protest it may happen

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=linux

/\ YAY 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
i like you linux cats, always so positive and forward thinking, championing open source. yet always so clueless about business. If you guys are so passionate about this, then why not embrace the open source philosophy and do it yourself?

The DAW market is tiny in the scheme of software overall. The Linux market among non geeks is tiny and no one is making any money from it apart from large scale enterprise solutions. there is almost no consumer market for Linux software so why would a niche software manufacturer waste resources on this?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:03 pm

i know alot of people who would buy ableton live in a heartbeat if it were to run on linux. unfortunately, it doesnt, so they loose out on these customers. ohwell.

have a look at some linux audio forums and see for yourself.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:34 pm

friend_kami wrote:i know alot of people who would buy ableton live in a heartbeat if it were to run on linux. unfortunately, it doesnt, so they loose out on these customers. ohwell.

how many do you know that would buy Linux Live? 20? 30? 100?

do you think that would cover an eighth of the salary of one developer for one year?

how many thousands of Linux copies sold would it take for Ableton to see the first cent of a profit for the developer time spent?

How much $500 software have you or your Linux friends bought for Linux? honestly now?

not trying to piss on anyones parade here, but the Linux partisanship just baffles me. What the hell does it matter what OS youre running, once the Live GUI is up? Theres already two versions that for the most part work great. I know you think youre somehow fighting the power by using Linux, but youre still supporting all the same evil large hardware corporations.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
friend_kami wrote:i know alot of people who would buy ableton live in a heartbeat if it were to run on linux. unfortunately, it doesnt, so they loose out on these customers. ohwell.

how many do you know that would buy Linux Live? 20? 30? 100?

do you think that would cover an eighth of the salary of one developer for one year?

how many thousands of Linux copies sold would it take for Ableton to see the first cent of a profit for the developer time spent?

How much $500 software have you or your Linux friends bought for Linux? honestly now?

not trying to piss on anyones parade here, but the Linux partisanship just baffles me. What the hell does it matter what OS youre running, once the Live GUI is up? Theres already two versions that for the most part work great. I know you think youre somehow fighting the power by using Linux, but youre still supporting all the same evil large hardware corporations.
for me it matters a shitload what OS im using. im stuck with windows because i cant afford a mac, and i would switch to linux without blinking if live was supported, so i could get my computer resources back.
also a linux supported version would mean alot for people wanting to build custom systems.

the reason why theres not so much software on the linux platform to buy is because people are as ignorant as you thinking that since most development done on linux is opensource (or something to that effect, depending on what license youre going with) they think that people wouldnt buy anything ever, and that all the linux users are cheapskates riding on the free opensource wave. which is not true.

big ups to NI for aknowledging the linux operating system.
or however the fuck its spelled.

give us linux support, or atleast talk with the wine guys and figure out why it wont with wine. either way is good for the linux community, and yes. the audio linux community is growing by the day, and yes, they have money to spend.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 am

friend_kami wrote:
for me it matters a shitload what OS im using. im stuck with windows because i cant afford a mac, and i would switch to linux without blinking if live was supported, so i could get my computer resources back.
what resources are you talking about, specifically? Id love to know all these hidden resources my computer has that Windows is keeping me from using.
friend_kami wrote: also a linux supported version would mean alot for people wanting to build custom systems.

the reason why theres not so much software on the linux platform to buy is because people are as ignorant as you thinking that since most development done on linux is opensource (or something to that effect, depending on what license youre going with) they think that people wouldnt buy anything ever, and that all the linux users are cheapskates riding on the free opensource wave. which is not true.
im no Linux expert, but I use it every day (Novell Zen, setup kiosks running Debian, Ubuntu at home) so id hardly say im ignorant.

are you going to answer the question? how much $500 Linux software have you and your friends bought? Im guessing zero. Thats why theres little point in Ableton spending money developing it.

i honestly wish you well in your endevours and if the Linux massive want a version of Live, then in a perfect world Id be right behind them. but out of complete self interest, I want Ableton to make good on the promises of the current versions before they start something of that magnitude.

Holy Shit, 1000 posts of nonsense and opininated drivel! Go the Internets!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 am

adventurepants_ wrote:Holy Shit, 1000 posts of nonsense and opininated drivel! Go the Internets!
:evil: scary, isn't it. welcome to the Hall Of Shame.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 am

adventurepants_ wrote: what resources are you talking about, specifically? Id love to know all these hidden resources my computer has that Windows is keeping me from using.
OK I'm not getting why somebody who uses software to the degree you do would argue this??
OSX took 10% more CPU than OS9 at the time of it's release, Vista has been a known hog since day one. Each new OS Vista or Leopard etc. takes more hard drive space, RAM, and CPU to run. Those are system resources.
i honestly wish you well in your endevours and if the Linux massive want a version of Live, then in a perfect world Id be right behind them. but out of complete self interest, I want Ableton to make good on the promises of the current versions before they start something of that magnitude.
I hear you on this one.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 am

Machinesworking wrote: OK I'm not getting why somebody who uses software to the degree you do would argue this??
OSX took 10% more CPU than OS9 at the time of it's release, Vista has been a known hog since day one. Each new OS Vista or Leopard etc. takes more hard drive space, RAM, and CPU to run. Those are system resources.
i wasnt comparing Linux to Vista for efficient use of system resources, im not mental! :lol:

Using XP the hardware is so powerful now, that there basically arent any overheads, on a quad core Ive got resources to burn, whatever Im doing.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:55 am

adventurepants_ wrote:im not mental! :lol:

Saranac

Re:

Post by Saranac » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 pm

Hello,
I ve just had my apple laptop stolen. Gone.
I'm pretty much broke at the moment, but i'd spent money when i had it on Live4, and uprgraded to Live7.
I'm aware that i'd part of a minority, but as it happens, i could well be a Linux user that would spend 500# on software.

I stopped using PCs not long before XP was released, switching to OSX. Whenever i've had to use a Microsft PC since,i've felt i was going back to the middle ages of personnal computing.
There's no way i could consider going back to that.
The thing is i can't afford a new Mac, especially as only the "pro" laptops feature firewire.

So i reckon i'd like to give some form of Linux a try.
Indeed, now that i think of it Live would probably be my only reason for 'needing' to stick with Apple.

Maybe i'm getting the names wrong, i'm not much of a computer dude, but isn't OSX simply one particular form of UNIX?
Would it be that difficult for Live to run on something that is Unix, but not OSX ? Couldn't one just "plug it in" somehow ? (the way one can use apps in OSX using X11 for ex)
If anyone has a clue, i'd be curious to know the ins and outs of that, thanks.
Cheers

Bagatell

Re: Re:

Post by Bagatell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Saranac wrote: but isn't OSX simply one particular form of UNIX?
Yes. But it's not free and it's not open source. :mrgreen:

friend_kami

Re: WE WANT LINUX SUPPORT!!!!

Post by friend_kami » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:20 pm

i can guarantee that if ableton would provide linux support there would be a huge increase in sales.
i have right now in a music production chatroom here 15 people who would buy live straight off, no questions asked if it would get linux support.
i know several more people who would. i know several people who gave up using live and switched to other daws simply because they switched to linux and live didnt work (even tried getting live to run via wine? yay. it works, but no audio.).

the myth that linux users doesnt buy software simply isnt true.
its just the fact that theres alot of opensource around for linux systems.
i know shittons of people who paid for software that they use on a everyday basis on their linux system.
i have done so myself.

we want linux support.
get with the times already.

longjohns

Re: WE WANT LINUX SUPPORT!!!!

Post by longjohns » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 am

NativeOps wrote:WE WANT LINUX SUPPORT!!!!
NativeOps wrote: I'M A MUSICIAN, NOT A COMPUTER TECH!
:?: :?