click on loop stop

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
os

click on loop stop

Post by os » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:13 pm

I find that quite often I get a click when I stop a loop playing. The loop loops fine while it's going, it's just when it stops that the click occurs.
Ableton, could we have short fade off envelopes on loops to avoid this? I know there's an option for a similar thing to smooth loop transitions, but apparently the smoothing isn't helping the situation when a loop just stops.

Takeishi

Clicks and Pops

Post by Takeishi » Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:51 am

I have the same problem and I have been trying to contact Ableton and any other "Live" sources to solve this problem.

I looked at all of Ableton Forum and I could not find any other post regarding this problem. So I guess it is not a common problem and nobody seems to have this issue. However, it is a serious problem for me since I use it in live performance and I have to be very carefull to stop the loops. If I stop the sound clip (loop) when it is silent, I don't get the clicks.

I tried every common adjusting from sample rate, buffer size, defragmant the hard disk, tried with RAM Disk (I use Mac powerbook).

If I don't get any help from Ableton, I'll be very disappointed. I love this program but it'll be very hard to use it in live situation.

For your information, the following are my set up;

PB G4(DVI) 667mhz w/512mb, Hard drive partitioned into 3 drives, one dedicated for audio recording.
MOTU 828
Live 1.5.1
OS 9.2.2

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:33 pm

Since I'm not on a Mac I can't tell if this applies, but I assume that it has to do with your grafics.
On WinXP-Pro I get the same sort of clicks when duplicating or inserting clips/scenes via the UI as sometimes when stopping a clip.

Tweaking my grafics (preventing it from hogging the bus) didn't help for all cases (sometimes, but less often, stopping a clip still produces this click).
Doing the same operations using the keyboard (or some external controller) it - mostly - doesn't occur.

So at least I came to the conclusion that Live isn't to blame in the first place. But in the long run I too would appreciate some statement from ableton on this issue.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Takeishi

Still no Answer

Post by Takeishi » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:29 am

So here is what I did yesterday and today.

Reformatted hard drive to HFS standard (instead of HFS extended)
Reinstalled everything (OS 9.2.2, Live 1.5.1)
Tested with all the buffer size option.
Connected to external firewire drive(Motu Glyph Mproject) and play audio from there.

And the clicks and pops are still there....

I do a lot of ambient sound type loops. Long note and quiet sounds. No metronome based loops. No quantization. And the clicks only happens when I stop the clips in any part of the loop. If I stop the loop where there is silence, I don't get the pops.

Now I know it is not the hard drive speed nor the Motu 828. It's something in Live.

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:14 am

I checked on what I wrote myself before, and partly contrary to what I had remembered using key commands didn't make that much of a diffrence in some of my sets when operating with scenes etc.

I then checked this with more ambient samples - apparently I still get no clicks on loopstopps, but clicks on scene operations occur.

I then build a new set: loads of quantization, but NO effects, and, oops, no more clicks, I found no way to produce them. Try to check this on your sets.

At least I don't know if some more advanced fade envelope would really force the clicks to disappear, at least not where they are caused.

Maybe ableton can check this and finally shed some light on the click-issue.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:44 pm

Sorry for the late repy!

I believe I understand what's going on. This has nothing to do with your computer's performance or anything like that. The problem is in the warping engine and I am afraid I have no quick fix for you, not even a workaround. All I can say is that it will be fixed with the next major release.

Btw, if you record your session into the Arrangement and reply, the click should not be in there anymore. Please try this to confirm my assumption.

I wish there were anything more comforting I could say...

Gerhard
ableton

os

Post by os » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:09 pm

Gerhard wrote: Btw, if you record your session into the Arrangement and reply, the click should not be in there anymore. Please try this to confirm my assumption.
yes, this is true.
I guess we're all eagerly awaiting the new release then!
cheers,
os.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:01 pm

so, there is a new release "live 3" and i have still same problems!