what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Martyn wrote: I really don't get why there's such a schizm regarding the Session view/arrangement view relationship, I always thought that the overall work-flow was a very clear one. First build up some form of performance setup in session, hit the record button then go for the performance of your life, including all the automation you managed to do with your controller hardware. You then hop over to the arrange page where the results of your performance await you, mistakes and all. Next, you can do another take if you want or simply remain in arrange and finish the tune off.
This is how I tend to work with it, I don't see the point in trying to make a tune using just the session view, Live wasn't designed to work like that, there wouldn't be a session AND arrange if this was the case. Session view is where you do the live performing, arrange view is where you finish the production details.
I guess this is where it comes down to individual use and how we are all different - I really love working in the session view, I just think it keeps things really fluid and exciting because I try and keep up with it - meaning I try and make all the changes really quickly on the fly without stopping as if I was playing live, even in the studio

what I find this does is really help keep me tune in with the music and rely on instincts because I need to make changes quickly so it doesn't get boring - so if it is looping a certain way then I just hear how I think it should go next and try and make it happen really quickly - it keeps it more immediate and improvisational rather than getting to much into my head thinking about things too hard

the ability to automate is key here because as soon as I start doing that then I have to leave this constantly flowing, inspirational and evolving environment and move into the same old dull, linear kind of arranger where you have to look at everything all plotted out and THINK about where everything should go

to put it another way, I see the session view a bit more like the pattern sequencers in reason

I really loved the way it was so easy to sequence automation with the Matrix sequencer in Reason, but the other elements of Reason bugged me, like the limitations of the actual sounds and filters etc that you were automating with it - so I have always wanted the same kind of thing in Live.

CLip envelopes came really damn close, but the fact that you have to go and set them up first and can't immediately create them is to me a bit like building a ferrari and then making the accelerator computer controlled so that you had to open the glove box and pull out a screen to program in the times when you want to speed up

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:51 pm

BTW Forge, full with you on wanting to record automation directly into clip envelopes, that would be pretty handy. Some dropdown preset list of curve shapes would be pretty welcome too, I don't see that as an LFO either so it's legal :wink: It'd be nice to be able to specify something like a Sawtooth shape every 3/4 of a bar for instance.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Martyn wrote:BTW Forge, full with you on wanting to record automation directly into clip envelopes, that would be pretty handy. Some dropdown preset list of curve shapes would be pretty welcome too, I don't see that as an LFO either so it's legal :wink: It'd be nice to be able to specify something like a Sawtooth shape every 3/4 of a bar for instance.
this is really exactly what I'm talking about - even something like right clicking on a parameter and choosing a waveform and duration - just something to really encourage that real time element

I just hate the way I have to leave session so soon in order to create these kinds of automations

maybe another solution would be these kind of curves in clip envelopes - so you could choose a menu option and a dialog box comes up allowing you to choose waveform, time, and how long you want it to go on for and it instantly draws in the curves

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:55 pm

forge wrote: I guess this is where it comes down to individual use and how we are all different - I really love working in the session view, I just think it keeps things really fluid and exciting because I try and keep up with it - meaning I try and make all the changes really quickly on the fly without stopping as if I was playing live, even in the studio
Pardon me for asking, but how the fuck do you ever finish a tune that way? Surely it's always in a state of potential, a permanent unfinished performance possibility, unless you record to some other media of course.
That's a serious enquiry, I've never managed to stay in session view for any more time than it took to get something fleshed out in the arrange page.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Martyn wrote:
forge wrote: I guess this is where it comes down to individual use and how we are all different - I really love working in the session view, I just think it keeps things really fluid and exciting because I try and keep up with it - meaning I try and make all the changes really quickly on the fly without stopping as if I was playing live, even in the studio
Pardon me for asking, but how the fuck do you ever finish a tune that way? Surely it's always in a state of potential, a permanent unfinished performance possibility, unless you record to some other media of course.
That's a serious enquirey, I've never managed to stay in session view for any more time than it took to get something fleshed out in the arrange page.
well to be honest if I could automate in session I think I'd be able to knock out a tune really really quickly by laying it all out on scenes

that's more or less what I try and do now, but it never works because I have to leave and go to arrange

but I would rather write tunes with scenes

but in answer to your question I haven't finished anything in ages! ;-)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Crash wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Its not even an API trick. It just uses the API as a part of it..
Originally this was a trick implemented for Richie Hawtin and his CTRL project for Plastikman Live performances. Very much documented.. before your time.
Yes, but not officially by Ableton. It's not a "feature", it's a hack. You didn't get the point. Why does Robert need to use that API stuff for his own controller? Because Live doesn't provide the means to do it with Midi. That simple. It was a reply to someone's suggestion to improve Midi controlability of Live.

We don't have no problems with doing our own Max Patches here, beside the fact that both the Max 4 (PK squared) and Max 5 (own stuff) Runtime very often hang on Windows when being used for extensive Midi stuff in combination with Live.
No you're missing the point.. You can do it with Live and without hacks. Assign a note to a clip and see what comes out of the remote output when you trigger a clip. Its there.. What Robert's Max patch does is controlling the LED's by providing a way to scroll a grid. So why does he use the API? Simply to scroll a grid.
Why isn't it standard in Live? Show me a commercially available clip grid controller.. I did a lemur hack, others are doing a better one and the monome is in the works though not the same..
There is no standard clip grid to work with. But it can be done with just MIDI.
So what is your point?

Even I wrote an application because Ableton Live didn't do what I want with MIDI. But neither does any MIDI controller on the market. Or any other host except for the modular ones.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:03 pm

(At Forge) : :lol: I haven't either fwiw, I recon that big glass of water theory is fatally flawed!

To drag it back on topic, I recon Ableton will release a version that pleases some people but definitely not all :wink:

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Martyn wrote:(At Forge) : :lol: I haven't either fwiw, I recon that big glass of water theory is fatally flawed!
:lol: :lol: never worked for me!

BTW - I don't mean either that I'd want to really knock out tunes really quickly, ultimately just like your last bastion to Live nirvana is better groove stuff, mine is being able to keep the play button going and stay in session longer - I see session automation as the key to that, but there could be other ways
Martyn wrote:To drag it back on topic, I recon Ableton will release a version that pleases some people but definitely not all :wink:

...and that's the right answer! Thread closed. :wink:

Crash

Post by Crash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:26 pm

hoffman2k wrote:So what is your point?
Do you feel a particular need to be jumping at me whenever you answer one of my posts?

Just to make that clear, I don't depend on more Midi features, but it would make things more convinient and make Live stand out more as a live tool. I can build all this myself and have done so already, but why do users have to build Max patches to get better better hardware support?

I can fire clips of any number of tracks on the currently active and next scene via the buttons on my Remote SL. Furthermore I can control any combination of upto 16 effects via its knobs while chosing the effect-affected tracks via the lightened buttons of the PadKontrol. It's all done in Midi and Max + Bome's/Keystroke (formerly via Reaktor + PK squared). I can (excl.)mono/solo/arm tracks via a shift-combination of the same buttons. I can select specific tracks and chose to make the first plugin active and having its parameters shown on the Remote SL's screen. I can scroll through active plugins via the scroll buttons of the Remote and have the respective parameters shown.

But Live doesn't provide any such inbuild Midi features that ain't on the market yet without combining lots of hardware control-surfaces and that's why the poster I quoted asked for more sophisticated Midi.

Make it a live tool that can conviniently be controlled via hardware. Fuck the Mouse! :twisted:

lola

Post by lola » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:33 pm

forge wrote:
I haven't finished anything in ages! ;-)

Lott of people have this problem.

So the best new feature in live 8 will be:

The *Finnish A Song locker*, any new song started will lock for 3 months, it opens auto in live, you can't start on any other songs :D :D :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:40 pm

<Insert 50 links to OSC related posts>

Improving MIDI control is a waste of time. Automap? Brilliant stuff...
There will always be a new pad controller or a keyboard with 8 knobs that needs support. Where will it end?

What all the API stuff has proven is that Live is capable of sending and receiving very detailed data. Give us a protocol that can access all the features and we'll never need a mouse ever again...

abort

Post by abort » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:48 pm

@ lola THAT WOULD SUCK!! :cry:

Crash

Post by Crash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:58 pm

hoffman2k wrote:What all the API stuff has proven is that Live is capable of sending and receiving very detailed data. Give us a protocol that can access all the features and we'll never need a mouse ever again...
Opening the GUI API for people who know how to program it would be great, yes.

But even on a higher and easier level all they had to do is open the sources for the control-surface scripts. They are all written in Python and many people could easily modify them to their needs and share them with other people who use the same hardware.

No Max fiddling, no combination of three software-applications running in background just to activate a single GUI element in Live. No chosing upto 5 different control-surfaces in Live in order to combine their function. Just customize your prefered control-surface and you're good to go!
Last edited by Crash on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:02 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Give us a protocol that can access all the features and we'll never need a mouse ever again...
This (OSC?) is what I'm hoping for more than anything for Live 8, even though I got rid of my Lemur. Not expecting though... :? Don't really know what to expect.

.m

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Give us a protocol that can access all the features and we'll never need a mouse ever again...
This (OSC?) is what I'm hoping for more than anything for Live 8, even though I got rid of my Lemur. Not expecting though... :? Don't really know what to expect.

.m
Its one of those "build it and they'll come" moments. If Ableton supports OSC then cubase, logic, DP or whichever DAW company has its sights on Ableton will follow.
After that you'll get M-audio capitalizing on it. Novation would introduce automap 3 and so on...

Its not even all about controllers.. It goes even beyond what Timur is hinting it.
Python sources are no good to me, Max links are no good to him. OSC is good for everybody. Simple text strings and a few basic commands such as "send, receive, load, play,..." will get us a long way.
The protocol needs to be simple enough yet flexible so it can be printed on a hardware chip that runs a bit of software. Like many MIDI controllers are already doing..

What is more useful?

A MIDI knob you have to assign to (lets say) the filter cutoff of Operator that scales down the entire range of the parameter to be able to work with values of 0 to 127.

Or

/Ableton/Live/Track1/Operator/Filter/Cutoff with the exact same range as the filter cutoff parameter. No scaling at all..
With various selectable types of software based knob acceleration to fine tun a parameter to the exact frequency you want it to be.