what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 am

I expect a more serious and wholehearted approach to MIDI
More specifically, I want
a) the ability to copy some bloody notes, click anywhere in a clip, and paste
the notes there. What conceivable reason is there for making this so utterly
difficult?
b) to be able to transpose all notes in all selected clips simultaneously.
c) to octave shift selected notes by a simple key combination, like ctrl + arrow
up/down.
d) a "fold/lock to key" option in MIDI clips, so that you may draw or play the
notes you require in one octave, and have Live automatically fold the clip to
that key across the whole keyboard range.
e) a default level for pitch and mod wheels (center and zero, respectively).
If I record a pitch bend, and incidentally stop playback in the middle of the
bend, I have to replay the bend for the pitch to return to zero.
Incredibly cumbersome.
f) press and hold shift while moving notes with your mouse to restrict the
movement to vertical or horizontal.
g) the ability to crop a MIDI clip, so that you can easily ditch notes and
automation that is not inside the current clip loop frame. This should
simultaneously position the left loop brace at 1.0.

All of the above are additions that I really think ought to be a free addition
to Live 7, but hey; that's not how the world is...

I expect the ability to assign any key on your keyboard or controller to trigger
(one tap) and stop (two taps) the active clip. In general, it
would be nice to be able to assign stuff to the active track - especially
for those who are in want of more hardware knobs.

I expect a general track folder feature, similar to the one that's already
there in drum racks. Also, I want a mouse hover over the individual track
faders in a drum rack to display the track volume, just like it does on a
regular track.

And see my signature for the feature I long for more than anything...

This was off the top of my hat - there's always stuff that springs to mind
when I'm working in Live.

Crash

Post by Crash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:04 am

Robert uses his Monodeck II via the secret and officially undocumented Live API. Ever wondered why he doesn't use Midi like the rest of us? :roll:

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:05 am

We will see some expected DAW improvements.

A new toy or two like a step sequencer or vocoder or looper.

Choose one free: Sampler or Operator. (maybe)

And a rabbit out of the hat: some new performance-enhancing tool. Perhaps a way to save named scenes or sets of scenes into the browser. Or some new control unit for racks.
Life is Good

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:15 am

hello !

there should be to have three things for a great moment of joy !!!

1 : possibility to print ,with right click or keyboard shortcuts , in audio clip and midi clips : some basic eqs,comps setting on a plug in 's window

and after, just, to choose the clip you want to modify.
and with right click and a shortcut you apply it.
you can also write automations of parameters in the enveloppe view of a clip, and after printing them.

you can also to select a midi clip (sequence,beat arpeggio etc..),put plugs on it (eqs,comp,or more oriented sound design's fx) adjust setting of each parameter on the plug in's window and print it in audio.
for more precision and ,or, to create movement, you can also use clips envellopes .

2 : a real groove template fx will be great !!

like in the yamaha qy 700 ,to have possibility to apply some midi presets , groove template ,of quantization in real time , from beat to melodies... like an fx with differents presets but to modify the midi skeleton of the groove.
it will be nice to build my own library of presets or templates of groove.

by exple : to have a list of differents musical styles , jazz ,bossa,reggae etc ..
but you may have like 1000 presets and try them life realtime masks or fx to modify the groove of your midi sequence, non destructively.. and after when the mask or preset is good, so , you can use ,my first wish :
YOU CAN NOW PRINT IT DIRECTLY IN AUDIo !! yahou ! :D

3 : crossfades in arrangement view

4 : possibility to have two screens in one : to use session view like a bank and list of clips to simply drag and drop them , all along the timeline in arrangement . no more switch between screens !

5 : more sound design quality tools :

like a : phase vocoder
convolution reverb
spectral delay
more spectral ,fft, tools ..

6 : the possibility to use videos in session like audio:

it would be wicked to assign a videos or a cam movement or a colour ,textures, characters etc..to a sound or sequence !!!

for a live performance , it would be a great experience !

POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

and it opens the door of a new world

more, if you imagine the use of touchscreen

so here are my dreams ....

but i feels that i would have to wait for live 9 or 10 for all these things... :cry:

salut a tous !

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:42 am

Sorry to get here late:

I think to upgrade from Live 6-7 to Live 8 people need more value than the gap between Live 6 & 7. So it gets more than a new set of features and functions.
Sure I'm expecting more on the MIDI side like better support (MIDI sync) for external hardware, ability to select program changes by name by loading a patch list (this can be a txt file) some more MIDI effect like out MIDI Echo, MIDI Pan, and 1/32 quantization.
The Freeze mechanism (external instrument) should be able to get batched and if I play 1 measure out of 30 measures the freeze should be focused on that measure not lasting all 30 measures with 29 measures of silence.

On the Audio side I'd be happy to see a Pitch effect (we have transpose in the clip but I'd like to have an Octaver or Harmonizer effect) and why not? An Auto Tune effect (not as sophisticated as melodyne)
On the usability side I'd like to see more Clip Audio Editing capabilities like at least, normalize, cut, paste, merge - the basics of audio manipulation just to avoid using an external editor for simple matters. CPU usage should be lowered especially for Analog and Operator.

On the usability side I would like folder tracks like most of us.
I would like to have the capability to map controllers extending the User Configuration framework so that if you have many live sets you do not have to go mapping them one by one if you do not own a MCU compatible controller.
I think a price-package overhaul should be done to raise the Suite value for Live 6 owners and newcomers. I won't add any instrument though.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:10 am

live 8 will bring us a vocoder.

a tuner-plug-in.

arpeggiator 2.

a ring-modulator.

some new add-in instruments that you can buy separately.

I can imagine that they will have more automap-features for a bigger number of different controllers.

We will probably have some improvements in arrangement and midi-roll editing. Maybe a notation-print feature.

A new warp-mode that sounds better.

Maybe some video in session view features, but maybe not because they decided to focus on audio.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:30 am

Crash wrote:Robert uses his Monodeck II via the secret and officially undocumented Live API. Ever wondered why he doesn't use Midi like the rest of us? :roll:

:lol:

I'll take this one...

Would you rather assign a MIDI note to every single clip in your set? Or make a grid that can trigger clips based on coordinates?
Even if Ableton documented it, you'd still need to program a max patch and a hardware unit.

Its not even an API trick. It just uses the API as a part of it..
Originally this was a trick implemented for Richie Hawtin and his CTRL project for Plastikman Live performances. Very much documented.. before your time.

ava

Post by ava » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:56 am

Im expecting my "Disable clip launch button via Scene buttons" wink wink :wink: :wink:

Really does my head in when im recording from session view in to arrangement and i quickly want to add a clip or two not part of my scenes.

ava

Post by ava » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:06 am

also could do with some stop buttons alongside the scene play buttons too...

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:23 am

nowtime wrote:We will see some expected DAW improvements.

A new toy or two like a step sequencer or vocoder or looper.

Choose one free: Sampler or Operator. (maybe)

And a rabbit out of the hat: some new performance-enhancing tool. Perhaps a way to save named scenes or sets of scenes into the browser. Or some new control unit for racks.
YES please. I would love a step sequencer. Though I think Henke made it clear there would be no vocoder.

Landser

Post by Landser » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:47 am

I need

:arrow: FOLDER TRACKS

:arrow: SCREENSETS

VST PARAMETER LAYOUT definable by user for consistent hw-controller useage already seems to be implicitely confirmed in a post :)

Crash

Post by Crash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:20 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Its not even an API trick. It just uses the API as a part of it..
Originally this was a trick implemented for Richie Hawtin and his CTRL project for Plastikman Live performances. Very much documented.. before your time.
Yes, but not officially by Ableton. It's not a "feature", it's a hack. You didn't get the point. Why does Robert need to use that API stuff for his own controller? Because Live doesn't provide the means to do it with Midi. That simple. It was a reply to someone's suggestion to improve Midi controlability of Live.

We don't have no problems with doing our own Max Patches here, beside the fact that both the Max 4 (PK squared) and Max 5 (own stuff) Runtime very often hang on Windows when being used for extensive Midi stuff in combination with Live.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:29 pm

I think the fact that there's no official mention of a Live 8 yet is a good indication that there's a lot of hard work going down at Ableton, at least i hope so.

I'd like to see some attention given to timing and groove, as well an updating of the warp engine so that we can play with the underlying grid that the warp markers themselves adhere to.

I really don't get why there's such a schizm regarding the Session view/arrangement view relationship, I always thought that the overall work-flow was a very clear one. First build up some form of performance setup in session, hit the record button then go for the performance of your life, including all the automation you managed to do with your controller hardware. You then hop over to the arrange page where the results of your performance await you, mistakes and all. Next, you can do another take if you want or simply remain in arrange and finish the tune off.
This is how I tend to work with it, I don't see the point in trying to make a tune using just the session view, Live wasn't designed to work like that, there wouldn't be a session AND arrange if this was the case. Session view is where you do the live performing, arrange view is where you finish the production details.

I really hope that they make Live 8 a bit easier on the cpu, but then I am still running really shitty old hardware so I guess I should update that instead really.

The bottom line for me is that I don't see Live as EITHER a Live performance tool OR a DAW, I see it as a unique composition tool that lets me capture performances as a method of composition, it lets me let go and just play the software, and that makes for productions in the arrange page that I could never have achieved in any other DAW on the market. I like it all as it is, I just want to be able to experiment with timings and groove a little easier and I'll be a happy camper.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:34 pm

ava wrote: Im expecting my "Disable clip launch button via Scene buttons" wink wink :wink: :wink:
do you think you could achieve the same effect with back to arrange buttons on every track? I am really hoping that we will see that

BTW I would stick anything like that at the bottom where the A B crossfade buttons go, I don't think anything else could go in the title bar there

in fact this is one thing that concerns me about the current in-line rack mixer - the way that is implemented I can't see how they could now do real group tracks because there would be a confusion with the triangles and what they would open

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Im expecting a organised library folder, no double files or extra hidden maps on my HD...