what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 am

nathannn wrote:i really would like to find out for myself why people like it so much.
this question disturbs me.

I could write a book on how incredibly fucking cool session view is but it would take time away from using session view.
forge wrote:umm....
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:22 am

forge wrote:
stjohn wrote:
nathannn wrote: i really would like to find out for myself why people like it so much.
its the difference between a rigid and a natural sequence in any techno track for me.. with a midicontroller and a background as a dj, its possible to come up with sequences u wouldnt usually achieve with the normal horizontal view
and it's way more fun to jam things on the fly and decide as you go where to take it...not so possible with a linear sequencer

also - @Nathann - what brought you to Live then?
ahh what brought me to live.. mostly the gui.. i liked how you could just drag n drop effects onto a track and use them right then.. everything else i used prior to live made me search through folder after folder and was just very confusing to a noob...
it was never session view or track warping with me, i knew track warping was available in other programs prior to live so it never had that "wow" factor with me...
ok.. so long story short.. ease of use and the gui.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:25 am

nathannn wrote:i have always found it odd that there is no proper way to sequence clips ins session besides using follow actions (wich really does not sequence).
i guess if they had this then i would use session more.
how does follow mode not sequence? it's sequencing on acid, try random mode and the 'chance' boxes. there are two boxes in follow mode that go up to 999, do you know what they do?

dude, close the internet, open your Live help menu (lower left corner of the screen) and hover your mouse over the follow mode section of clip view. read up on all the boxes.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:28 am

nathannn wrote:i have always found it odd that there is no proper way to sequence clips ins session besides using follow actions (wich really does not sequence).
If you manage well the scenes then you can sequence the clips in a proper way...it's easy to achieve... :wink:

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:29 am

Tone Deft wrote:
how does follow mode not sequence? it's sequencing on acid, try random mode and the 'chance' boxes. there are two boxes in follow mode that go up to 999, do you know what they do?

dude, close the internet, open your Live help menu (lower left corner of the screen) and hover your mouse over the follow mode section of clip view. read up on all the boxes.
try sequencing a whole song not just a single tracks.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:31 am

come on... seriously?? its piss easy... its not going to be edit perfect.. but its LIVE!!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:32 am

nathannn wrote:try sequencing a whole song not just a single tracks.
more disturbed.

how can't you?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:34 am

stjohn wrote:come on... seriously?? its piss easy... its not going to be edit perfect.. but its LIVE!!!!
'edit perfect' is where I take it to arrange view. detailed envelopes, fader movements, stuff that's too tedious for individual clips.

*at that point I'm tired of hearing the same f-ing song and... "file-new Live set" before I finish.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 am

its at that point i go... ok 2 more hours and ill either be really annoyed, or really happy coz i managed to finish the track!! but i usually go for it! and its usually worth it

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:41 am

Tone Deft wrote:
nathannn wrote:try sequencing a whole song not just a single tracks.
more disturbed.

how can't you?
what are you asking
how cant i or how cant it be done?
i cant because its to time consuming.
if it can be done with follow actions then fine then it can be done... so what..
its still not proper sequencing..
btw.. you seem to be disturbed easily.. maybe you should avoid all human contact, us dim wits might make your huge brain explode from confusion..

no computers or synths

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:45 am

nathannn wrote:if it can be done with follow actions then fine then it can be done... so what..
'follow actions' is an amazing feature, do not write it off. I cannot stress this enough, look into it.

FFS I don't remember EVER refuting a tip a forum member ever asked me to check out, especially not with an insult. check yourself fool.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:48 am

Tone Deft wrote:
nathannn wrote:if it can be done with follow actions then fine then it can be done... so what..
'follow actions' is an amazing feature, do not write it off. I cannot stress this enough, look into it.

FFS I don't remember EVER refuting a tip a forum member ever asked me to check out, especially not with an insult. check yourself fool.
lol.. i bet your punching your screen right now.. check your self, into the ward.

no computers or synths

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:51 am

Tone Deft wrote: lower CPU loads.
that's *never* happened before.
Tone Deft wrote: fix the midi clock thing, that's just embarrassing.

Would have already happened if it were easy. I hope so, but i suspect there's something really fucked up about it.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:56 am

Stuff i would like to see...

Recordable automation in session view.
Automation clips on the returns and master channel in session view.
Follow actions on the master channel in session.
A routable LFO.Or even better, the ability to use simpler as an LFO modulation device.
Modulation destinations in all of lives devices, including the chain selector in a rack, to send the LFO to,, imagine being able to use a rack of simplers to build a wave table synth. 8O 8)
A 16 step step sequencer plugin that accepts note on/off as a latch and that can also be used to modulate other live device parameters.. the steps will be able have each note selected so we can chain several together to achieve 32, 64, 128 step madness 8O :twisted:
(basically.. give us TASSMAN Live edition from AAS :wink: )

Sort out the MIDI sync!!!!!!!
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:56 am

PS:

the problem with live's development?

the same thing that's wrong with everything else in the world, it's driven by the masses not the elite. Morons run the world, baby, that's who you have to sell a product to, not a few geniuses.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o