Live Midi Sync Restrictions explained!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kroe

Post by kroe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 am

so, is it possible to sync two ableton instances perfectly ?

using an external hardware sending midi to the interfaces should resolve the problems?

ps. lets forget the flame an focus on the solution ?

mattianlaseppia

Post by mattianlaseppia » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 am

i agree with kroe

and i add, Dom is doing a very bad impression here in the forum because every one who use live with other midi things has a lot of problem, i'm pretty sure that the most of the people avoid using midi because every times they start searching solution to use live with midi.. end up loosing time without finding a solution.

the Dom posts are unacceptable because he says "those problems don't exist" while all the rest of the people which is using live knows that those problems exists.

i've a fireface 800 and an mpc and i would like to use it as a master and ableton as a slave.. i start play and ableton stretch the time of the audio tracks i've in live for the first bars.. than goes straight.. than other times the tempo changes during the playback.. that makes it unusable on the stage and really a pain in the ass while you are composing..

because is not a "i press rec and a start playing and recording my ideas" is a "i press rec and i guess, i hope to be able to capture my ideas without loosing my nerves with these bugs" that makes shift the time and compromise my recordings.

i want an answer by ableton.

and please STOP SAYING THINGS LIKE WHICH VERSION are you using!! because the problem was in live 5, in live 6 and i can see in the forum is remained in live 7.. and is one of the things that makes me avoid to buy live 7.

why i should buy live 7? i don't need the new features.. i've bought sampler and i never use it.. i use the operator and various plug ins.. i love live, but why i should buy a new version that doesn't fix some of the main bugs like this!?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Here's hoping that OSC is implemented and we'll have solid OSC syncing between two machines over a network.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:27 am

ive tried sycing 2 macs, 2 pcs, 1, pc 1 mac and nothing works. sure it may work decent, that is to say barely work, most of the time but any constant failure to me is worthless when im trying to play music. so unless live8 was just super fuckin awesome or they fixed the midi sync for version 7 i cant see myself upgrading because that is a major feature for me.

very disappointing.

theque

Post by theque » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 am

live 8 sounds genius, if the sync works on it we are in business. can someone with some inside knowledge let us know if they know anything. cheers

blablub

Post by blablub » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:51 pm

live 8 sounds genius, if the sync works on it we are in business. can someone with some inside knowledge let us know if they know anything. cheers
This is my main question too! Hey you beta testers... any news on this one?

greetz blablub

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:20 pm

MIDI sync seems to be more or less the same as Live 7 for me (OSX Leopard), I posted about it in the Live 8 Impressions thread.

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Speaking of MIDI sync...

Has anyone tried this midi interface. Supposedly it has 10x better midi timing than "standard" interfaces: Elektron TM-1

http://elektron.se/products/?sPage=over ... EA_TM.TM-1

Does it work? Is it the magic box? The solution to all our midi problems?

I'm considering getting it, but of course would like to hear from you guys before shelling out the money...

Thanks for your time!

Best,

-j

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I don't think it has better midi timing. But it can be used to upload samples to the Machinedrum with 10x the speed of ordinary midi. That's what I think.

Tarekith?

.m

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Yeah, that's what I've understood so far... Also checked out the Elektron forum, but didn't really get any wiser.

And maybe it seems *kinda* logical - I mean, 10x faster midi would then make the track go 10x faster as well... :D

I might be missing out some crucial points here... :lol:

Thanks,

-j

p00ka

Post by p00ka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

jesQuick wrote:Yeah, that's what I've understood so far... Also checked out the Elektron forum, but didn't really get any wiser.

And maybe it seems *kinda* logical - I mean, 10x faster midi would then make the track go 10x faster as well... :D

I might be missing out some crucial points here... :lol:

Thanks,

-j
You can have this today by just multiplying your tempo x10 :D

rickmansworth

Re: Live Midi Sync Restrictions explained!

Post by rickmansworth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am

has anyone figured out a way to make the midi clocks not jump around everywhere? we're running two macbooks connected to a wireless network and connected through the audio midi network. i hit ext on the slave and press play on the master (set at 140bpm) and the slave moves around 138-142 with the occasional jump to a random number.

this is absolutely unacceptable for a live performance! any tips?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

apparently no way to get that better than that.

-sync manually, licke you would with two decks.

- sync both laptops as slaves to an external clock from a drummachine.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:15 am

well, me and my mate used to be quite successful syncing both our macbooks over midi with live 7. We've just been giving a try with live 8 and it's a catastrophy: after about 2 minutes it goes so out of sync that it feels like jumping on the couch with someone...

We tried syncing live 8 to live 7, and it's a no go as well.

what a pity, grouping tracks is just so handy for a live performance.

Anyone any tips?

Pepe, are you in Buenos Aires?
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:59 am

hi Bicarbone, right now I am lost in the Pampa, but starting next week I will be in Buenos Aires for some time. Are you in BA?

Pepe