Creating Software instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
weeddigger

Creating Software instruments

Post by weeddigger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 pm

If I wanted to create software instruments from scratch, what kind of education would I need?

What fields should I study/persue :?:

Thanks for your time and any info you provide.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 pm

creating can mean two things here:

a) coding. if you want to create a finished product, like a VSTi, you'll need to learn something like C++.

b) understanding of DSP, which is "digital signal processing", and this means that you understand how the components of an instrument work together and how they are constructed. if you want to find out how those components, like filters and oscillators work together, the best thing is experience with a broad range of synthesizers, and a deep understanding what kinds of sounds people like for what reasons.

you also need to know how such components work internally, what makes a 'good' oscillator, why an analog synthesizer or a real physical instruments sound like it does.
for this a deeper understanding of math and physics is quite helpful.

as you see, there is no simple answer to your question.

a good playground for building your own instruments and effects is a programming language called MAX/MSP. visit www.cycling74.com and check out what they offer.

Robert

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Math!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 pm

do you want to do it as a career, or for you own amusement?
the two things are very different.

as a career you need a good grounding in C++, be mathematically minded, and a look at the JUCE framework so you can go crossplatform without tearing your hair out.

if you want to do it as a hobby, just so you can make a freaky effect or two, then check out one of the boxes and wires applications. Anything from Reaktor, to Synthmaker to MaxMSP and all apps in between.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm

Many thanks for the direction! In a nutshell, that's kind of what I wanted to hear...

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Start with Reaktor or Synthmaker or Max/MSP. At least Max/MSP is offered as a demo. If you own Live try building some Racks.

If you want to code yourself you really need to learn the math! Studying mathematics is really great for anyone wanting to code stuff, you learn coding on the move. But that's not the important part, the important part is to learn the mathematical algorithms that can get you anywhere you want.

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 pm

A friend of mine has a math degree (among others). When he finished math he claimed:
I've reached a level of abstraction now that slloed mr to do about anything and everything! :mrgreen:

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I had a couple of t-shirts customized at the local mall a few years back.

You know, you get a blank shirt (mine was black), and some iron on letters (i used white), and then you have them ironed on by the shop... It's about $10, and in a few minutes, you got a cool new shirt that says whatever you want ti to say.

Anyhow, I made two shirts.

One says "Fuck Cows", cause I'm allergic to cows (the milk and the beef).

And the other says "Fuck Math", cause I've hated math...

:arrow:

I might have been a college graduate by now if it wasn't for my hatred of math.

I've failed college algebra about six times...

About three months ago though, I bought a few books to get back on the wagon and give this another shot.

wow...

lol...

now math stands in the way of doing something I think I'd love...

Well... Like the Aussie's around here might say, "no worries, mate..."

Time, doesn't exist.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm

weeddigger wrote:I had a couple of t-shirts customized at the local mall a few years back.

You know, you get a blank shirt (mine was black), and some iron on letters (i used white), and then you have them ironed on by the shop... It's about $10, and in a few minutes, you got a cool new shirt that says whatever you want ti to say.

Anyhow, I made two shirts.

One says "Fuck Cows", cause I'm allergic to cows (the milk and the beef).

And the other says "Fuck Math", cause I've hated math...

I might have been a college graduate by now if it wasn't for my hatred of math.

I've failed college algebra about six times...

About three months ago though, I bought a few books to get back on the wagon and give this another shot.

wow...

lol...

now math stands in the way of doing something I think I'd love...

Well... Like the Aussie's around here might say, "no worries, mate..."

Time, doesn't exist.

Stick with the drag and drop stuff!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 pm

math is overrated. what counts much more is taste. the math in DSP is usually not super hard, unless you want to _invent_ something. what makes a good synthesizer is the way the different parameters interact, how the modules are combined etc.

this is why MAX/MSP can be so much fun. people with relatively little background in math can come up with fantastic things.

R.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Robert Henke wrote:math is overrated. what counts much more is taste. the math in DSP is usually not super hard, unless you want to _invent_ something. what makes a good synthesizer is the way the different parameters interact, how the modules are combined etc.

this is why MAX/MSP can be so much fun. people with relatively little background in math can come up with fantastic things.

R.
Now we are on the topic of MAX/MSP and.. well, you know,, cycling 74 in general...
have you got any thing you might like to add :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm

I can also recommend plogue bidule, which allows you to create your own synths quite easily, and has the advantage to be loaded as a vst.
I am trying to learn max/MSP, and I think it may be not as hard as it seems. I guess it's the begoning which is painful. You really need to spend a lot of time of tutorials and help files. The 5 version is a bit simpler than 4. And much more beautiful.
PS to Robert Henke : there is an old bug with the bidule vst and live : loading a set containing plogue vst after another doesn't work. You need to close the set before.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Again, many thanks for the info guys. It is much appreciated.

Before even thinking about this stuff (creating software), I knew this math thing is something I've wanted to conquer.

I don't believe in hard, just effort.

I know damn well that I can do anything you can do, and maybe even better.

:!:

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 pm

If you are considering MAX/MSP you should also consider the open source Pure Data which is written by Miller Pucket who also developed the original version of MAX http://puredata.info/
Noel has left the building!

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Check out the KVR forum :

KVR Forum » DSP and Plug-in Development

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33