decrease volume of tracks simultanously without grouping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Markus

decrease volume of tracks simultanously without grouping

Post by Markus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:53 am

I tried to Group some tracks to decrease volume of these tracks simultanously, but didn't work? is it possible decrease volume of these tracks simultanously without grouping by dragging the fader with a shortcut or so?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:23 pm

you can route the tracks to a sub track and bring the volume of that down

or you can use the utility plugin and after adjusting it for one track, duplicate it on all the channels u wanna lower.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 pm

As sweetjesus said, there are ways to do the same thing, but if you're looking for a way to, for example, shift-click or ctrl-click and select multiple track volumes at the same time, then "no", that isn't currently supported in Live.

Markus

Post by Markus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

ah thanks for replies. i think i have to check the utility plug.

@sweetjesus: would appreciate this, hopefully live8?!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Markus wrote:ah thanks for replies. i think i have to check the utility plug.

@sweetjesus: would appreciate this, hopefully live8?!
not sure but some grouping features would sure as hell save me some RSI... *looks at poor mutilated wrist*

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 pm

8O wrote:As sweetjesus said, there are ways to do the same thing, but if you're looking for a way to, for example, shift-click or ctrl-click and select multiple track volumes at the same time, then "no", that isn't currently supported in Live.
Yes, would be so helpfull!
I also don´t know how to manage this:

If i have 3 Tracks with different Send-settings (let´s say Reverb), then i group them in one Audiotrack and bring the level of the Audiotrack down (so all 3 Tracks get lower in volume), the Reverbsound from the Sends doesn´t get lower as well! So, If i bring down the fader of the Audio-group-track down to zero, i can still here the Reverbed sound!
If I´d bring down the Fader of the individuell tracks I wouldn´t hear ANY sound, right?

But when grouping the whole send-amount leaks through.

Any idea how to manage that?
Hope you get what i am trying to say!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm

mr.adl wrote:
8O wrote:As sweetjesus said, there are ways to do the same thing, but if you're looking for a way to, for example, shift-click or ctrl-click and select multiple track volumes at the same time, then "no", that isn't currently supported in Live.

If i have 3 Tracks with different Send-settings (let´s say Reverb), then i group them in one Audiotrack and bring the level of the Audiotrack down (so all 3 Tracks get lower in volume), the Reverbsound from the Sends doesn´t get lower as well! So, If i bring down the fader of the Audio-group-track down to zero, i can still here the Reverbed sound!
If I´d bring down the Fader of the individuell tracks I wouldn´t hear ANY sound, right?

send the output of the reverb/send channel to the bus channel too..

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
mr.adl wrote:

HEY, THAT DID IT!!
Thanx so much, couldn´t get my head around that. :D

But than i have to use several Reverbs, right? Lets say i have 9 Tracks and want to group them down to 3 buss channel. I have to use 3 times the Reverb with it´s output each going back to one of the bus channels. :roll:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm

mr.adl wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
mr.adl wrote: Yes, would be so helpfull!

HEY, THAT DID IT!!

But than i have to use several Reverbs, right? Lets say i have 9 Tracks and want to group them down to 3 buss channel. I have to use 3 times the Reverb with it´s output each going back to one of the bus channels. :roll:
i dont think so ... u would only do that if u wanted each verb to sound diff (one short one long, one with erm a big pre delay or some shit)

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:54 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
mr.adl wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: send the output of the reverb/send channel to the bus channel too..

HEY, THAT DID IT!!

i dont think so ... u would only do that if u wanted each verb to sound diff (one short one long, one with erm a big pre delay or some shit)
Ok, so I route this Reverb back into that particular bus channel.
But lets say I have 5 other Tracks which have a send amount to this Reverb too. And I group this 5 Tracks into another bus channel, then everytime i bring this second bus channel down, the wetsignal still leaks though, cause the (whole) reverbed signal (with amounts of the 5 Tracks) is routed back into bus channel Nr.1.

Only way to REALLY get rid off the reverbed signal of those 5 new Tracks is a copy of the reverb, which is routed back into the new bus channel (Nr.2), where only those 5 Tracks are going as well.

Hope you get it, english isn´t my native language :oops:

It´s not suuuch a big deal as I have a good computer and UAD Cards as well, so CPU normally isn´t an issue. Just wondering if there isn´t any other way to do so.