Record Arm When Selecting A Track? Possible?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
benjamingordon

Record Arm When Selecting A Track? Possible?

Post by benjamingordon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi.

I find it really frustrating when clicking on a track and playin the keyboard only to realise that the record arm hasnt been activated and is still the last selected track.

Is there anyway for record arm and track selection to be in sync so that when you select a track it is ready to record?

Thanks, Ben :)

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:30 pm

You could use a midi controller (or the computer keyboard) and assign the same button to both track select and record arm.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:41 pm

The problem we are having is that there is no way to go to the next track and record arm it. Each tracks record arm function has to be individually assigned to a key or midi event, which means its not possible to just have one midi controller (pedal) to go to the next track and record arm whatever track we are on.

Im trying to achieve exactly what kid beyond does basically. . .

Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Cheers, Ben :)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:45 pm

use control aid or bomes

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 pm

We are using midi stroke.

The problem is that there is no command for record arm the current track or record arm the next track or something like that. The only way to record arm the next track is either by clicking on it with a mouse or with a key command hard mapped to a specific track.

Cheers. . . :)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:05 pm

ah i see
have you tried using Mackie emulation on your pedal board?
As far as I know there's no kind of global command to arm selected track, although i may be possible somehow

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm

the looping set-up i've worked with is like this

channel 1 brings in guitar or vocal. Has FX etc and (monitor set to "in")

channel 3 recieves audio from channel 1 (monitor set to "off"and record enabled)
channel 4 recieves audio from channel 1 (monitor set to "off"and record enabled)
channel 5 recieves audio from channel 1 (monitor set to "off"and record enabled)
channel 6 recieves audio from channel 1 (monitor set to "off"and record enabled)

Now you can midi stoke one key for "right arrow" and another for "enter" and fire the clip slots. Takes away the record enable issue. Also it records all the effects and you don't have to reprocess them in real time.

this doesn't solve everything, but it's cpu efficient and can do some real cool stuff.

You can make more complex macro's if you get "iKey". It lets you create hot keys and stuff. So for the Ableton Live application you make "control-option-z" fire the command "right arrow and then enter". No you set midi-stroke so your midi controller sends "control-option-z". Now every time you hit that key it'll send to midi stroke, to ikey, then to Live and you'll end up moving over one track and hitting the record button. Global quantize keeps you in sync.

any a that make sense? Maybe you've been down this road before too, if so i'd be interested to hear what you're cooking up
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

noiserot

Post by noiserot » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:12 pm

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am

This is one of the problems / wonders of ableton....
it is, in a way, modular; as in you need to actually work out exactly what you want to do... and then work out how you are going to achieve your goals.
It can be frustrating, but in the long run it is so much more satisfying and rewarding that it is worth the brain strain!
Good Luck!
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:11 pm

there must be a midi command to arm the selected track because I can it with my faderfox. Although possibly even that might be sending a different control message based on which track is selected.
But yeah it would be nice to have a "auto arm selected track" preference in the next version.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:16 pm

considering live is geared towards playing live, the midi side of things is shit. Why on earth isn't there fully customizable instant mapping with commands for these type of tasks?

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 pm

I heard that these commands like navigate next track and record arm selected track used to be a feature in the early versions of live. . .

They took them out apparently. Im not sure if this is true or not. . .

:~

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 pm