Syncing 2 laptops - Advice needed re: drum machines!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 am

Pitch Black is right, in over 10 yrs of music making I have never been able to sync tightly with clock dirived from an app inside the PC. An external HW clock signal is the way to go.
Do you have any hardware with a midi sequencer on it theses usually send a clock signal.dedicated clock generators can be pricy I think Motu do one also I remember a device with a BIG red button specifically for syncing 2 seqencers that could allso stop and start individually.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 am

Mr-Bit wrote:Pitch Black is right, in over 10 yrs of music making I have never been able to sync tightly with clock dirived from an app inside the PC. An external HW clock signal is the way to go.
Do you have any hardware with a midi sequencer on it theses usually send a clock signal.dedicated clock generators can be pricy I think Motu do one also I remember a device with a BIG red button specifically for syncing 2 seqencers that could allso stop and start individually.
Hmm, that's the conclusion I'm gradually coming round to. I've got rid of all my hardware a while ago unfortunately. Shoulda kept the MPC2000, that was rock solid!!!

Checking the Motu option now.

Any other suggestions for a hardware clock? I can't spend too much as I don't have much ATM.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:06 am

ollyb303 wrote:Any other suggestions for a hardware clock? I can't spend too much as I don't have much ATM.
I'd scour the classifieds or the internets for the cheapest second hand drum machine you can find. Something old 'n' shitty with really crap sounds - MIDI's been around for 25 years. :)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:09 am

Pitch Black wrote: I'd scour the classifieds or the internets for the cheapest second hand drum machine you can find. Something old 'n' shitty with really crap sounds
Sounds like a plan, cheers.

Never thought it would be this bloody hard to sync 2 laptops!!!
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:12 am

It might be a plan to borrow a hardware sync source first, before you buy, and make sure this will solve your problem... what with the luck you've been having... :? You might want to rule out any "software/pc" problems before parting wiv the cash.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:18 am

Truth! I actually have access to a 909 now (just hooked up with an old friend for a project and he has one) so I'll try that first.
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:20 am

GO ON MY SON!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 am

Pitch Black wrote:GO ON MY SON!
Indeed!
ob1techno.com

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 am

ollyb303 wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:So... tried using the midi usb cable using the clock sync delay option. Set at -75ms(!) it works a treat. Sync is tight as fuck.

Thanks to all who helped me sort this :D
Hmmm spoke too soon... sync was very tight when we synced empty sets just using the metronome, but with full live sets loaded, it drifts all over the place.

Is this common with Live? Am I ever likely to get it to output a reliable midi clock?

Or should I give up on that idea and think about clocking off another piece of hardware? If so, what's likely to be the cheapest way to do this? I'd have to buy whatever the clock came off, what are my options?
we made the experiencec that it depends a little on hardware that you use. We had a combination once that was tight and reliable, but contained a shitty soundcard on my end, and since i bought the ultralite, both of us upgraded to machbooks and live 7, it only works with my partner being masterclock with his shitty fasttrack pro, and me being slave with the motu. but we definetly play concerts and it's quite reliable. but we have seen it going out of sync, yes ...

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:58 am

Yamaha RX21 Digital Rhythm Programmer
£10.00

BOSS DR - 660 DRUM MACHINE
£10.00

Boss DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Drum Machine with manual
£2.20

Yamaha DD-10 Digital Drum Machine
£2.00

Prices are current ebay bids. Anyone ever used any of these. Not going to buy until I've tried with the 909, but can't help having a look anyways!
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Bump!

Has no-one ever used one of these machines? Auction time is running out and at these prices I'm prepared to give any of them a go... the DR-5 is £3.20 now, but the other 3 all the same.

All I need is a reliable midi clock... Any ideas which would do this best? I've googled and they all seem to output midi clock, but I'd like to hear from someone who's used one before I part with such a HUGE sum of cash!!
ob1techno.com

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:28 pm

hello all,
yes i too have had this issue with live since i first used with version 2.
Lives midi output clock has never been reliable in my experience and all attempts to get outboard gear(inc laptops ) to sync has never been verygood at all unfiortunately.
Equally when receiving midi clock it has also been pish or rubbish. :)

there is a way to get two instances of live to run on the one machine though both or pc and if you have another monitor and and an extra keyboard and mouse and a suitably power full machine you can control both at the same time ie with two opertors. This involves setting both indstance at same tempo and manually starting them in sync. With practice you can get good at this.