Looking to relocate (US Edition).

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamester

Post by jamester » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:53 pm

We visited Charlottesville, VA a few weeks ago and were really impressed. Very cool little town, real laid-back and "liberal", college town as well with UVA, tons of music everywhere though mostly "acoustic"-based from what I saw. A good mix of college students, local hippies and tourists. Everybody walks and bikes, bars and restaurants everywhere.

I told my girlfriend it felt more like what I imagined Seattle would be like than Seattle!
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Moody wrote:
djsynchro wrote:California without a doubt, without a question, without competition.
If you can stand the traffic. California is like one big congested city to me. It is as if you have to fight to get where ever you want to be but, once you get there it is great.
do you have a clue how big CA is? this is ridiculous.

I haven't sat in traffic for years.
Come on TD, you already admitted to riding a bike most places. :P

Maybe I should say from San Diego to SF is like one big cluster of a traffic jam. I have not been out there in about 2 years so maybe things have changed?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:58 pm

Move to Ibiza in 1994 FTW!

People need to realize that Southern California and Northern California are like 2 different states, countries even.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:58 pm

I never said I rode my bike most places. I said I like to ride my bike and I do it in SF, I used to ride to work daily.

SF to SD? dude, you really have no clue what you're talking about.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I never said I rode my bike most places. I said I like to ride my bike and I do it in SF, I used to ride to work daily.

SF to SD? dude, you really have no clue what you're talking about.
Maybe it is perspective, I have driven back and forth from LA to SF several times and it was a traffic jam most of the time. Though, it has always been in the summer months. Does it get better or have I just run into shitty luck with traffic out there? (This is the main thing that keeps me away, so I am really curious if I just have shit luck for driving around out there.)
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Is Iowa really that bad?

I break it down like this... you either want a big city, a medium-sized city, or a college town.

Big city wise, I would say NYC, SF, Philly, maybe LA (that's a big maybe).

Medium sized city would be San Diego, Austin, Iowa City.

Nice college towns (there are likely tons more of these I down know about) Charlottesville, Lawrence KS, Athens, traffic snarled Santa Cruz, and Iowa City.

Taking all this in, I would say Iowa City.

But, this is all shit, because it's obvious to anyone with half a sense of culture knows that the only place to be on the planet right now is Beriln. Places like Miami are not for me.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:58 pm

maybe it was the LA experience. when there's no traffic it's just the scenery, relaxing. when it's 110 degrees out, you're sitting on the 5 and nobody is moving for 2 hours, that's something to take note of. @#$%*&!!!!

look at a map between Santa Barbara and Monterey, there's very little there. also, look inland, CA expands hundreds of miles to the east. LA has bad traffic, everywhere has a rush hour. it also depends on knowing your way around (tip - avoid the 5 through LA.)

CA has snow mountains (winter olympics in Tahoe) , dry deserts (death valley), hick towns (Humboldt), big cities (LA), oceans, anything you can imagine. it's not one big paved over megalopolis.

Northern CA should secede from Southern CA, or CA from the US, not sure where to start.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

StinkyPat

Post by StinkyPat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Minneapolis be a happening place for music. You have a pretty decent town with lots to do, good culture. I have a good friend there that loves it and can see a band nightly if he wasn't old like me. Wisconsin is pretty - where I am at - but dang nothing happens.

Good Luck with wherever you end up!!
I'm bringing Stinky BACK!

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Is Iowa really that bad?
yes.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:16 pm

Is Iowa really that bad?
It has it's charms. However, I'm really bored. I lived in Florence, Italy for a semester and it blew my mind. Electronic music in clubs 7 nights a week. Art everywhere. An appreciation for classical music, opera, etc. It was very walkable. I loved it. It was nothing like Iowa, or Iowa City, or probably anywhere in the US, tbh.

So considering I want to DJ/sing/perform live electronic music, Iowa isn't somewhere I want to spend much longer.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. If I were loaded, I'd hop on a plane and go check it out, but money is slim right now, so I figure I'll ask. :D

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:31 am

Silverfish wrote:I lived in Florence, Italy for a semester and it blew my mind. Electronic music in clubs 7 nights a week. Art everywhere. An appreciation for classical music, opera, etc. It was very walkable. I loved it. It was nothing like Iowa, or Iowa City, or probably anywhere in the US, tbh.

So considering I want to DJ/sing/perform live electronic music, Iowa isn't somewhere I want to spend much longer.
Ouch... you're screwed! The American version of the Italian lifestyle is a real let down.

Something to consider... you should go to a place where you can concentrate on your music. Have a band and build up good live show. If you can get too the point where you're touring you'll get to see all kinds of places and maybe even get back to Europe in true style. Moving to a big city and busting your ass to pay high rent + bills is not very conducive to organizing and building up a live act.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 am

Tone Deft wrote:Northern CA should secede from Southern CA, or CA from the US, not sure where to start.
San Andreas

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:24 am

Moody wrote:
djsynchro wrote:California without a doubt, without a question, without competition.
If you can stand the traffic. California is like one big congested city to me. It is as if you have to fight to get where ever you want to be but, once you get there it is great.
This is very much like Croydon.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:28 am

Fuck i got stuck on the M3 this morning for 3 hours grrrrrrrrr

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:41 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
Silverfish wrote:I lived in Florence, Italy for a semester and it blew my mind. Electronic music in clubs 7 nights a week. Art everywhere. An appreciation for classical music, opera, etc. It was very walkable. I loved it. It was nothing like Iowa, or Iowa City, or probably anywhere in the US, tbh.

Ouch... you're screwed! The American version of the Italian lifestyle is a real let down.

Something to consider... you should go to a place where you can concentrate on your music. Have a band and build up good live show. If you can get too the point where you're touring you'll get to see all kinds of places and maybe even get back to Europe in true style. Moving to a big city and busting your ass to pay high rent + bills is not very conducive to organizing and building up a live act.
+1 on that

i used to be a fan of the 4 day work week now i'm a fan of the 6 hour work week :)