Your favorite beat mangling tool

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4am

Post by 4am » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 pm

got it finally! alleluhia!
thanks for your help!
a.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Effectrix yes. Personally I like the tools where I have complete control of what happens where, I don't like the random ones.

Another by sugar bytes is Artillery2. Although it doesn't have the sequencer, it can be even more fun for real time mashing on a keyboard.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

4am wrote:got it finally! alleluhia!
thanks for your help!
a.
Any time! :P

Enjoy.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:33 pm

is there some easy way around deleting the trigger on the RAM record machine that i'm not aware of? i love the implementation of sampling on the MD, weird as it is, but would like some easy way to not have the RAM record next time round, if you know what i'm saying (when i'm messing with stuff i'm playing in live, i actually like having the record ever time, so things keep changing, or when i've got a loop going in live that i'm resampling (so it's continually being refreshed)).

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:54 pm

dj superflat wrote:is there some easy way around deleting the trigger on the RAM record machine that i'm not aware of? i love the implementation of sampling on the MD, weird as it is, but would like some easy way to not have the RAM record next time round, if you know what i'm saying (when i'm messing with stuff i'm playing in live, i actually like having the record ever time, so things keep changing, or when i've got a loop going in live that i'm resampling (so it's continually being refreshed)).
Yeah, just keep the MD in record mode (solid red light). Enter the RAM machine trigger, hit play, and immediately hit the trigger again to deactivate it. Just as long as you deactivate the trigger before that step in the sequence is reached again, the memory won't be overwitten by the loop. For instance, I usually stick a ram machine trigger on step 1 in a 16 step (1 bar) sequence, hit play, and immediately hit step one again to delete the trigger. As long as I remove the RAM machine trigger before the sequence loops back around to step 1, everything is fine. Does this make any more sense? I wish I had a decent video camera here because I would just make a video of it. Maybe I'll go pick one up tonight for the tutorials anyway.

Let me know if this cleared anything up.

- Nick

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm

i get that, that's how i do it currently. i'm just somewhat surprised there's no way to program that in by putting some sort of mute on the next step or something. thx anyway.

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:00 am

i use lucifer 2

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 am

a slow processor and live's rendering system.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:19 am

logic_user99 wrote:
Grappadura wrote:Mike & other Reaktor users: What ensembles do you use? I´ve listened to the demos of drumcrate & was impressed!
I use CList's BeatLookup (various versions), a couple of tools by a chap named Sowari; one called 4techre in perticular. There's some ncie things in the 'jambient' series of ensembles.

From the stock library, there's various sample-manglers, too. I'll be jiggered if I can remember what they're called though!
I've been trying to find beatlookup for a while I heard good things about it. Where exactly can I get it I didn't see it in the user library. A link please!
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:50 am

misteron wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: A nice BJ will prob get you mangling beats like no other...
Well, yes and no - I also feel inspired after a getting good Blow Job... but I'm not sure it counts as a "beat-mangling tool" in itself - so I'm not sure it counts.
why not? im not sure i would admit my intentions prior to the act but anything and everything can inspire those who will let it. These days beat mangling softs are a dime a dozen. A good head change is what we really need.

Grappadura wrote:Mike & other Reaktor users: What ensembles do you use? I´ve listened to the demos of drumcrate & was impressed!
Drum.Crate Demos are all Live Devices, which are definately way capable of molto mangle, but theres not much mangling going on there...definately a great collection though if i say so.

Reaktor ensembles, im pretty much a reaktor n00b, but the little time ive spent with it ive found these to be really beat manglie, key is to find something you can load samples into and add your own:

Drox
Beatlookup ( this thing could easily be a 150$ plugin )
Metaphysical function
twister ( really like this one - simple and leaves samples unrecognizable )
beatstep by kid sputnik

these tons more just havent checked them out yet,,,

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:18 am

Fast FX

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks Mike. The Fast FX-Ensemble is also quite nice.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:53 am

funknotik wrote: I've been trying to find beatlookup for a while I heard good things about it. Where exactly can I get it I didn't see it in the user library. A link please!
It's not in the U/L as it has it's very own thread; BLU is deamed to be the current pinnacle of user-designed patches.

Beat-Lookup Thread

You'll have to trawl through 30 pages of posts to find the various versions, but it's completely worth it. There's some very interesting read in there, too, regarding sampling and it's application.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:14 pm

anyone who wants to seriously mangle samples and doesn't have reaktor is IMHO crazy, because of the number and variety of ensembles to do various whacky things. i second all the ones mentioned (particularly fastfx, which i use on just about everything), and there's loads more.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:30 pm

dj superflat wrote:anyone who wants to seriously mangle samples and doesn't have reaktor is IMHO crazy, because of the number and variety of ensembles to do various whacky things. i second all the ones mentioned (particularly fastfx, which i use on just about everything), and there's loads more.

Reaktor is like $450, right?

How flexible is it to mangle things in real time? In a live situation? If you've just created a loop in Live?