Your favorite beat mangling tool

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4am

Post by 4am » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 am

and any hardware option? (apart of kaosspad, emu and yamaha samplers)

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:01 am

I don't do much of beat mangling but I tried Supatrigga a few times and thought it was alright. The thing is, it sounds so obvious. You can hear it all over some tracks, used to excess.

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am

duluxdog wrote:I don't do much of beat mangling but I tried Supatrigga a few times and thought it was alright. The thing is, it sounds so obvious. You can hear it all over some tracks, used to excess.
+1

Can't be some hands on manual-mangling; traditional cut paste, re-sample, re-verse and some individual external sample editing/processing.

Pretty sure the man Richard D James got the best part of his sound this way, don't think he would use many if any 'auto-glitchers'.

Allows for more precision imo.
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

misteron

Post by misteron » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:53 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: A nice BJ will prob get you mangling beats like no other...
Well, yes and no - I also feel inspired after a getting good Blow Job... but I'm not sure it counts as a "beat-mangling tool" in itself - so I'm not sure it counts.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Low Frequency Obstinator wrote: Can't be some hands on manual-mangling; traditional cut paste, re-sample, re-verse and some individual external sample editing/processing.

Pretty sure the man Richard D James got the best part of his sound this way, don't think he would use many if any 'auto-glitchers'.

Allows for more precision imo.
Thats why I want a tool that on one hand spits out nasty tunes but on the other is well controllable. I guess most of the glitch-tool users put the sound into the glitch-tool, see what comes out and then begin to edit.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
Satisfies all beatmangling needs.
A nice BJ will prob get you mangling beats like no other...
Whats a BJ?

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Grappadura wrote:Mike & other Reaktor users: What ensembles do you use? I´ve listened to the demos of drumcrate & was impressed!
I use CList's BeatLookup (various versions), a couple of tools by a chap named Sowari; one called 4techre in perticular. There's some ncie things in the 'jambient' series of ensembles.

From the stock library, there's various sample-manglers, too. I'll be jiggered if I can remember what they're called though!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:45 pm

4am wrote:and any hardware option? (apart of kaosspad, emu and yamaha samplers)
dj superflat wrote:machinedrum UW

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
4am wrote:and any hardware option? (apart of kaosspad, emu and yamaha samplers)
dj superflat wrote:machinedrum UW
ops... forgot to say i already have one :wink:
but i don't use it so much for beat mangling... do you mean with the ram machines?

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Grappadura wrote:Mike & other Reaktor users: What ensembles do you use? I´ve listened to the demos of drumcrate & was impressed!
I build my own ensembles.
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 pm

4am wrote:ops... forgot to say i already have one :wink:
but i don't use it so much for beat mangling... do you mean with the ram machines?
Right on. I do indeed mean using the RAM/ROM machines. Do you have the UW version? If so, I HIGHLY recommend getting to know your MD better. UW-specific stuff follows, so disregard if you don't have this option on your machinedrum.

Assuming you have the UW, check through the manual regarding the differences between the two types of ROM locations in the MD. The last few ROM slots behave somewhat differently with modulating the sample start and end times, optimized for rearranging loops. This is just the ticket for beat mangling.

I say give this a shot before plonking down more of your money for new shit. I always say that the MD is one of only three pieces of hardware (out of probably a hundred or so) that I will never sell. Give it love! In fact, I am heavily considering doing a free series of tutorial videos on sound design with the MD-UW once I am done with my current series.

- Nick

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

yep! excellent tip! the problem is that following the instructions in the manual i can't get the thing to work.. i'm doing exactly what written in the manual but i can't get a single tone out of it...
could be because of memory full?
(sorry not wanting to hijack the thread...)

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:37 pm

the manual provides little to no help on how to use the UW, took me a bit to get it sorted out, but once i did, love it, because i can do dbglitch/beat repeat type stuff, but actually control it. (using parameter locks so that each step plays from exactly where i want gives great results, but i also like just noodling by randomly moving around the steps i've placed (via function/arrow), and putting LFOs on sample start/end.)

back to your question, i doubt it's because the memory is full. but i'm doing this with RAM machines sampling the external input, then playing it back, rather than loading samples into ROM (which seems like more trouble than it's worth, though YMMV).

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45 pm

4am wrote: (sorry not wanting to hijack the thread...)
Whatya talkin about this is totally topic related go ahead I wanna know too.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:45 pm

IMO, this is the one part of the MDUW that is less than obvious in terms of ease of use. It's a little weird. If you are sampling into the inputs, make sure you set up a RAM record machine on a track. Go to your RAM record machine parameters and set your "ILEV" to 64, "MLEV" to 0. Now insert a trig for the RAM machine at the beginning of your pattern. Next, play the pattern and immediately delete the trig for the RAM machine. You should now have something in memory to play with.

At this point you COULD mess around with the RAM play machine, but I always copy what's in the RAM record machine into one of the ROM memory slots so I can work with something that won't accidentally get erased. Do this by going into your global menu, hit enter to choose 1 (out of 8 choices for global setups). From here, you should have an option for "sample manager," so go there. Now scroll down to your R1 machine and you should have a number displayed there which shows that something is in RAM. With R1 highlighted, hold down function+copy (I think copy = record button). Now move up to ROM slot 48, for instance, and hold function+paste (I think paste = play button). It will ask you if you want to carry out the copy operation, so hit enter. You might have to hit enter a couple of times, but it will copy. Now it asks you if you want to reload, so hit enter again and the RAM location will automatically clear out and you are left with your loop in the ROM location. Now set your ROM machine up on a track and choose that sample.

This looks like a long process in writing, but I only had to do it a few times before I got it down to 30 seconds or so. It's well worth it. I hope I haven't confused you, and good luck!

- Nick